What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See ya Slater

myrrh ken

First Grade
I found myself feeling rather ill, agreeing with what Phil Gould said on 100% Footy about the shoulder charge and covering tackles...then he launches into this:

“Sport is about its champions,” Gould said.

‘’People follow sport because of your champions. They don’t follow sport to watch the referees referee. They don’t follow the game because the game makes a profit. They don’t follow a sport because you rub shoulders with the right politicians. They don’t follow a sport because you have great governance, they follow it for the champions.

“No game rubs its champions out more than the NRL. It makes me sick.’’

This man should not be allowed to be part of our game. This is how his brain works, we should openly give concessions and free passes to our best players.. What a pathetic message to send.

Even Gus can't even justify the tackle on merit.

Springs09

Juniors
I found myself feeling rather ill, agreeing with what Phil Gould said on 100% Footy about the shoulder charge and covering tackles...then he launches into this:

“Sport is about its champions,” Gould said.

‘’People follow sport because of your champions. They don’t follow sport to watch the referees referee. They don’t follow the game because the game makes a profit. They don’t follow a sport because you rub shoulders with the right politicians. They don’t follow a sport because you have great governance, they follow it for the champions.

“No game rubs its champions out more than the NRL. It makes me sick.’’

This man should not be allowed to be part of our game. This is how his brain works, we should openly give concessions and free passes to our best players.. What a pathetic message to send.

Lol, right. Let's bring in the Champion Law. If Gould deems you a champion, you are not allowed to be suspended. Elbow someone in the head Hopoate-style and you are safe, as the game needs its champions so people will watch.

People follow sport because they like the sport. There's no one out there going 'hmmm Billy Slater or Buddy Franklin...oh wait Slater is suspended guess I'll be an AFL fan'. No doubt there will always be hero worship but fans don't suddenly become RU fans because SBW or Sam Burgess switched codes.

Storm80

Juniors
If this is let go on the basis that he attempted to use his arms (which he didn't, all he did was grab)

The shoulder charge rule by definition says if the defensive player makes an attempt to tackle, or otherwise grab or hold the attacking player, with the arms (including hands) it is cannot be defined as a shoulder charge.

It’s not about setting dangerous precedent. It’s about applying the rules to the slater incident. Rules is rules. You said yourself about slater “all he did was grab”. That’s all he needs to do for his attempt at a tackle to not be categorised as a “shoulder charge”.

Regardless of where you stand on your personal interpretation of a shoulder charge, under the NRL rules as long as you use or attempt to use your arms and/or hands it can not be a shoulder charge.

It is not a technicality. Rules is rules. A game that doesn’t adhere with its own rules is basically a game in chaos.

It ain’t Slater’s or the Storms fault the NRL wrote a poorly worded and defined rule. If the judiciary applies NRL rules correctly Slater plays on Sunday

MilkShark

First Grade
The shoulder charge rule by definition says if the defensive player makes an attempt to tackle, or otherwise grab or hold the attacking player, with the arms (including hands) it is cannot be defined as a shoulder charge.

It’s not about setting dangerous precedent. It’s about applying the rules to the slater incident. Rules is rules. You said yourself about slater “all he did was grab”. That’s all he needs to do for his attempt at a tackle to not be categorised as a “shoulder charge”.

Regardless of where you stand on your personal interpretation of a shoulder charge, under the NRL rules as long as you use or attempt to use your arms and/or hands it can not be a shoulder charge.

It is not a technicality. Rules is rules. A game that doesn’t adhere with its own rules is basically a game in chaos.

It ain’t Slater’s or the Storms fault the NRL wrote a poorly worded and defined rule. If the judiciary applies NRL rules correctly Slater plays on Sunday
Do you know how crazy you sound?

Frailty

First Grade

His hand is there, but I disagree with the claim that he used it to 'grab'. He did not use his hand in an attempt to tackle.

jargan83

Coach
Dallas Johnson is on the panel lolol

Who are the other two members - Smith & Bellamy?

Tbh I think he's already gotten off; but it'll be made public tonight.

He got off before he was charged, I was surprised he was even charged tbh.

There is no way in the world that the NRL were ever going to suspend Slater in his final game which also happens to be a GF.

If it were round 9 Billy would be sitting out a week.

I look forward to Todd Greenberg’s backpedaling explanation tomorrow morning.

bileduct

Coach

Spot on, mate.

Lambretta

First Grade
Dallas Johnson is on the panel lolol

Who are the other two members - Smith & Bellamy?

Tbh I think he's already gotten off; but it'll be made public tonight.

The panel has used 5 players all year
One of those has been Dallas Johnson

The SMH reported that due to his close ties to Melbourne he would be unlikely to take part
Erm, seems whoever wrote that was using old fashioned logic and not the latest NRLFREEBILLY logic update available at NRL HQ

Lambretta

First Grade
The whole "I had no other option" stance has zero weight. Daniel Tupou and Blake Ferguson made legal try saving tackles in the same game against wests in similar circumstances.

Every single person involved in rugby league knows what Billy did was a shoulder charge. I know it, Billy knows it, the rest of the storm players/coaches know it and every person arguing that it isn't a shoulder charge knows it as well.

Having said that he will be cleared tonight and that should come to the shock of no one. He will be cleared because of who he is and the fact it is his last game. There is no room for that to be the reason for leniency in the judicial process but that is what will happen. The reason they will give is the other arm brushing Feki first which will set a precedent effectively overturning the ban of the shoulder charge.

If anyone is not prepared for the decision to be overturned tonight you are kidding yourself.

This ^^^ 1,000,000%