What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final > Storm v Roosters

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Absolute disgrace.
If I were coaching my squad would all be practicing shoulder charges in the off season.
What a shitful way to end the year.
NRL is a disgrace.
Yep, said this to a mate at work.
Roosters should test the water with some shoulder charges. Cant get 10 in the bin or a penalty try against you now.
The nrl's contradictory rules strike again. What a farce!

Mickthedragon

Juniors
I was wondering why Paul Kent, Rothfield and the nrl 360 gang were defending him so hard and saying he should get off last night before i remembered that their jobs with news link depend on it. It's shameful that the playing field is now so uneven for clubs and little wonder less people are going through the gates and switching off.

Old Timer

Coach
There will be lucky to be 9 penalties in the GF and Melbourne will get 66% of them.
The game is a joke and the NRL shameless in their exploitation of other teams and their supporters.
A pox on both their houses and the NRL officials as well.

Bench
How low can the NRL go, now we know.
This is a joke.
Can't wait till see what happens with shoulder charges next season.
I saw that some journalist wrote the game was bigger then Slater.
That got shot down tonight.
This is why the NRL are losing supporters.

Saint Angelo

Juniors
So what have we learnt today?
You can shoulder charge and won’t get suspended if:
- you are trying to stop a try
- you are perceived to be a good bloke, even though you are a a grub
- you are playing in your last game
- you play for Melbourne

The NRL IS A JOKE !!!!

Saint Angelo

Juniors
- you play for Melbourne

The NRL IS A JOKE !!!!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As I said the defense lawyer put up a very good argument (and I'm no Slater supporter let me tell you) and by point of law which it was written they had to find him not guilty.
First contact was with the pec which legally negates the shoulder charge.

However, this does open a Pandora's box of future shoulder charges going to the judiciary if even the slightest indicator that the shoulder or upper arm was not first contact.

It's the same situation as with Nap's 'rocket man' tackle, where he leads with the head. That was considered reckless, not careless but not a shoulder charge either.

Slater's lawyer argued that it was neither a shoulder charge nor was it reckless or careless given Feki took a change of direction and the speed both players were running.

Pilot house

Juniors
As I said the defense lawyer put up a very good argument (and I'm no Slater supporter let me tell you) and by point of law which it was written they had to find him not guilty.

However, this does open a Pandora's box of future shoulder charges going to the judiciary if even the slightest indicator that the shoulder or upper arm was not first contact.

It's the same situation as with Nap's 'rocket man' tackle, where he leads with the head. That was considered reckless, not careless but not a shoulder charge either.

Slater's lawyer argued that it was neither a shoulder charge nor was it reckless or careless given Feki took a change of direction and the speed both players were running.

Maybe the nrl can appeal to the Supreme Court?

ouryears

Bench
- you play for Melbourne

The NRL IS A JOKE !!!!
Well personally I am anti storm and slater, can’t stand smith or any of his cohorts, I always have been anti storm.
However, it was not a classic shoulder charge, and there was some hand movement.
I reckon it was almost the tackle of the year.
I am glad he got off and that he is playing.
First time in my life, go storm.

Frank Facer

First Grade

It was a shoulder charge. Plain and simple. Anyone with eyes could see that.

since77

Juniors
So now the burden of proof lies with the defendant?

Um..... the burden of proof falls to the person who claims the outrageous thing....You said experts had written the Roosters off during the season. That's completely false. As before, I'll bet you can't post even one link that backs that hilarious claim up.

hazzbeen

Bench
- you play for Melbourne

The NRL IS A JOKE !!!!
Heard you the first time .......:)

BLM01

First Grade
I bet Tapine from the Raiders after his 2 week suspension from Dufty shoulder charge wished he could of been flown up in a private jet for his defence and got the most expensive lawyer to defend his case.
But we knew defense in semantics and grey areas and BS frame by frame CSI and forensic evidence would prevail.
But the bottom line is this is supposed to be a sport and the fact that this side show of match review committee with 10,000 gradings, that we have judiciary panel that carries on like a LA Law criminal court, expensive defence lawyers, private jets to attend court etc etc should never have been allowed to come in to the sport.
There is excuses for every action you take, save that for a criminal court, but as a sport call a spade a spade, the MRC said it was a shoulder charge and it looked like 1 in normal speed, so no defence, no judiciary, just grade it and punish it accordingly to what it is worth. If it is not worth missing a game for, then make that a rule, penalty, professional foul sufficient..whatever.
If you contact the head then automatic suspension of X weeks, no judiciary, no excuses. Same rule for all. Save money too.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Um..... the burden of proof falls to the person who claims the outrageous thing....You said experts had written the Roosters off during the season. That's completely false. As before, I'll bet you can't post even one link that backs that hilarious claim up.

Conversely, I DARE you to point out which post (or posts) where I claimed the experts had “written off” the Chooks.

Also, as you’re the one making this outrageous allegation, it is up to YOU to uphold the burden of proof.

Verbatim.

I won’t be holding my breath.

Last edited: