What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See ya Slater

edabomb

First Grade
Just don't think those sort of "shoulder charges" were the intended target of the rule

Can live with the decision

The "shouldn't miss an important game for that" argument is always rubbish though

But they've been punishing that all season. Tapine had one where he bundled Duffy into touch with a shoulder charge as the last line of defence - he got 2 weeks...

thorson1987

Coach
Reading this thread it's as though Billy is the first one to fight the charge.

Apparently since the rule was reworded 7 players have been charged, 5 have successfully fought it and got off.

Anyone carrying on saying the shoulder charge is back due to this one instance is a f**king moron.

footy75

Bench
Reading this thread it's as though Billy is the first one to fight the charge.
Apparently since the rule was reworded 7 players have been charged, 5 have successfully fought it and got off.
Anyone carrying on saying the shoulder charge is back due to this one instance is a f**king moron.

morons on here...nooo

The Rosco

Bench
I hope that hit is used in promotion of the NRL in perpetuity. Magnificent sight!

Great point DQ.
Because of the notoriety of this tackle, along with all the importance of the retiring superstar and his last game in a Grand Final . . . . what a great still frame shot to use in every upcoming NRL ad.
You know, because it is in fact a legal tackle.
Every single fan will remember this polarising tackle, so why not use it as positive re-inforcement of our great game.
You know, because it's a legal tackle and all.
I'd like to see that !

YoHadrian

Juniors
Good result

The irony of you speaking how you do calling something else a disgrace. Grow up.

A Slater Fellater preaching about irony. I'm now on planet cuckoo.

Players who behave a certain way on the field & get away with it are a target, it's how Rugby League works from the juniors to first grade. One of those unspoken consensus things.

My comments stand.

Mr Spock!

Referee
The punishment did not fit the crime. The judiciary realised it and took the right option.

There are areas of grey in sport and this was one of them. This was not the type of shoulder charge the law was created for and was done circumstantially.

Bellew being so vocal has only made the NRL look even more stupid even though we got the right result in the end.
Then the rule is f##ked.

The shoulder charge is either banned or it isn't.

No way anyone else gets off.

no name

Coach
Cam's right.

'No place in the game': Cameron Smith calls on NRL to keep shoulder charge banned
Updated 5 Aug 2015, 5:46am

RELATED STORY: Roosters' Kane Evans escapes sanction for shoulder charge
Australia captain Cameron Smith says the recent death of James Ackerman illustrates why the shoulder charge must remain banned from rugby league.

Amid calls by the likes of New South Wales Origin captain Paul Gallen and former great Peter Sterling for the defensive ploy to be reinstated, Smith is adamant the NRL must stamp it out of the game completely.

Ackerman, 25, played for the Sunshine Coast Falcons, one of the Storm's Queensland-based feeder teams, and died two days after being injured in a tackle.

"It's pretty clear cut for me - it's got no place in the game anymore," Smith said.

"Only five weeks ago, James Ackerman tragically lost his life to a shoulder charge.

It's [shoulder charge] got to be stamped out of the game altogether.

Cameron Smith

"Whether it was the direct contact to the head or the effects of the blow, to me it doesn't matter.

"If someone has lost their life to a tackle such as a shoulder charge, we shouldn't even be looking at it."

Smith's stance differed to that of Gallen, who on Tuesday said he would like to see the shoulder charge re-introduced.

Gallen was commenting after Kane Evans's much-replayed shoulder charge on Canterbury forward Sam Kasiano last Friday night earned the Sydney Roosters prop a warning but no sanction from the NRL's match review committee.

Cronulla captain Gallen hoped what he described as "clean" shoulder charges would be re-introduced, but dangerous ones such as those that struck a player in the head should be punished severely as a deterrent.

"I just think they should bring it back, to be honest with you," Gallen told Sky Sports Radio.

"I just think, if you're going to shoulder charge someone and it's going to go wrong and you hit someone in the head, they're going to have to mark it really, really hard and give you weeks on the sideline.

"If it comes off like the one on the weekend, well, you know, play on."

Smith said shoulder charges should be stamped out of the game altogether and wanted the NRL to clarify its position after Evans escaped a charge.

"One thing I would like to see is a bit of clarification on whether it's still in the game or not because Kane Evans put one on on the weekend," he said.

"Everyone knows it's a shoulder charge but it wasn't charged ... so it's either in the game or it's not.

"If you want to put it on, you're going to get charged no matter whether there's an injury or whiplash to someone's head. It's got to be stamped out of the game altogether."

The NRL said on Monday the on-field penalty and warning handed to Evans was enough punishment because there was no head or neck contact and no whiplash effect on Kasiano.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-...on-nrl-to-keep-shoulder-charge-banned/6672202

Latest posts