What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See ya Slater

Morehead St

Juniors
The NRL judiciary found him not guilty of a shoulder charge. Therefore, the referee made an incorrect decision to penalise slater. How can you not grasp that??

Under the current NRL rules Billy made a perfectly legal attempt at tackle. It’s not about what you think a shoulder charge is. It’s about what the NRL judiciary objectively decides, and they decided it wasn’t a shoulder charge. End of story
No. You are clearly wrong. Under the rules he is guilty as charged. It is about what the rules say, not what the judiciary incorrectly rules. Surely even you can grasp that simple point?
You are wrong again with your belief that the incorrect judiciary decision then makes the refs call wrong in the real world..The ref made the correct call according to the rule book. Read the appropriate section. If you are right then why was said ref awarded with the GF whistle?
Further, you are deluded in believing that the judiciary were "objective". The game is a business. That business receives the bulk of its funding from bigger businesses, namely the media which wants Slater to play for ratings purposes.
I suppose Unions do not influence Labor policy and Banks and Big Corporations do not influence the Libs programming and "arrangements" and Big Ag and Big Mining do not have the Nats in their pockets?
The world is full of flowers when you believe ulterior motives do not exist.
The shot below supposedly shows Slater making his tackle with his right arm around the chest of the attacker...well, at least in the view of the judiciary. To me it reveals a runner being knocked in the air and sideways by a forceful hit frlom a smaller man who has also been knocked 90 deg. Note, the runner is still facing the direction he was running before he was contacted. Slater, is whipped around from facing the sideline to facing the dead ball line.. upload_2018-9-26_21-54-1.png

And what could have caused that?...
upload_2018-9-26_22-0-12.png
Slater's right arm - you know, the arm that the judiciary believes was around the chest of Feki - never even got above his opponent's unraised arm.
Clean your screen. You are seeing things.

AJB1102

First Grade
The decision is made, any influence your opinion might have had is gone.

Honesty time.

As Rugby League fans - f**k your lawyers, loopholes and any ridiculous rules in place - thats was a shoulder charge, yeah?

Morehead St

Juniors
Exactly, wtf you on about? Section 5 law 5 relates to shoulder contact where no one is in possession of the ball. For example, kicked into the corner and two opposing players are attempting to get to the ball.

I’m talking specifically about when an attacking player has possession of the ball and the defender tries to bump him out into touch by shoulder bump. Previous to the “shoulder charge” being outlawed shoulder bumping a player into touch was a perfectly legal tackle.

Trust me buddy, I know my NRL rules having watched the game for over 30 years. Just cause I loves me storm, don’t go assuming I have NFI about the rules. As it appears it’s you that has clearly got NFI what your on about
You poor bugger...my heart goes out to your carers. They must be soooo patient with their patient.
You do not even know what you have siad...dear, dear deary me:
"No attempt to use the arms or hands in either tackle and the match review panel didn’t charge either player."
You are mixing up the illegal use of a shoulder only contact in a tackle, with the legal use of a shoulder to bump an opposite when the ball is not possessed by any player. The later is NOT a tackle ssince no one has the ball..
Have a bex and a good lie down, Sport.

Chimp

Juniors
Looking at the pictures all the tinfoil hat wearers are posting, just reinforces to me that the tackle was fine

Get over it

I think there's some things we can pretty unanimously agree on;

- Those types of tackle absolutely should be legal. It isn't one of those dangerous shoulder hits that the ban was aiming to eradicate where whiplash is gonna cause a serious injury
- Once upon a time, that tackle was a great try saver (and still is), and ban or no ban, he did his job... And that tackle was a momentum changer in the game- if he's binned or penalty try, the game is different. He set up and scored a try in the next 10 minutes
- Under the current interpretations, he can count himself lucky to escape punishment, it's a grey area at absolute best and he's done well to get away with it
- The NRL and the whole judiciary system has massive holes and is very inconsistent
- Greenburg is a corporate spin monkey with very little substance and is doing nothing for the game
- Slater is still a Karrrrnt.... (unless you're a Storm fan or blindly loyal QLDer)

Play on....

edabomb

First Grade
Is there any other professional sporting league in the world where the suspension system is a mini court room?

MilkShark

First Grade
*Deleted*.
100% agreed, he had ample time to make a normal tackle but chose not to.

I've seen so many high profle ex league players agree its a shoulder charge, cordner has now come out and said he no longer knows what a shoulder charge is. This carries alot of weight.

He was let off so help sell the game and boost tv viewing. But all they have done is tarnish what little reputation the NRL had left, and done the same to slater as well.

It's only reinforced how I have felt about the game for quite some time now and why my interest keep getting less and less.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meth

Staff member
Got welsh family who is a union fan staying. He saw the tackle last night and said why not sin bin and penalty try and then no case to answer as wasn’t dangerous? He said that would have been the outcome in union in uk.
It was hard to give any argument why that wouldn’t have been the logical best outcome of this whole shamoozle.

Sonny Bill Williams was sent off for a shoulder charge against the Lions and then suspended for 4 weeks after that. So, yeah, not necessarily going to go that way in Union.

Morehead St

Juniors
Really?? And yet the NRL match review committee coordinator Michael Buettner used the term “bump” when Koroibete shoulder bumped Watene-Zelezniak in 2016.... "it was a desperate tackle or bump on the Panthers winger".... what’s that??? A former NRL player and NSW rep used the term “bump”??? OMG!?!?
You're dreamin'.
One use of the term in nearly 3 seasons relating to a shoulder charge report, and that lonely word now becomes part of the RL lexicon?

You're 'avin’ a laff, Gov.

I believe that word has NEVER been used to describe a shoulder charge in the 100+ years when that tackle was deemed legal.
The word has many synonyms, but colloquial use in this nation is clear – as outlined by a simple Google: “a light blow or a jolting collision as in "a nasty bump on the head"

Note that the dictionary has to add the colourful “nasty” to provide force to your illegitimate word as “bump” alone does not explain the injury referred to.
Synonyms for bump: jolt, collision, crash, smash, smack, crack, thwack, bang, thud, thump, buffet, knock, rap, tap,

So, a car was knocked over a fence when bumped by another vehicle.
The plane exploded after falling from the skies and bumping into the ground.
It was not the 10,000-metre fall from the skies that killed a Sky Diver without a parachute, but the bump into the ground in the last one millimetre.
Or: Slater thwacked the attacker.

Morehead St

Juniors
100% agreed, he had ample time to make a normal tackle but chose not to.

I've seen so many high profle ex league players agree its a shoulder charge, cordner has now come out and said he no longer knows what a shoulder charge is. This carries alot of weight.

He was let off so help sell the game and boost tv viewing. But all they have done is tarnish what little reputation the NRL had left, and done the same to slater as well.

It's only reinforced how I have felt about the game for quite some time now and why my interest keep getting less and less.
You are not Robinson Crusoe. For me, add that I am no longer confident when it comes to calling a forward pass, or knock-on;

In fact, I would never qualify as a builder because I have a different interpretation of what 10 metres looks like - even when using the lines on the field as a guide.

Yeah, spot on about the subservience of the game to media money. I wonder how much is let go to "keep the game flowing"?

That aspect of the game infuriates as it causes inconsistency in rulings. How can you be a part of the game when you feel at times it is staged managed like (non)Reality TV?

MilkShark

First Grade
You are not Robinson Crusoe. For me, add that I am no longer confident when it comes to calling a forward pass, or knock-on;

In fact, I would never qualify as a builder because I have a different interpretation of what 10 metres looks like - even when using the lines on the field as a guide.

Yeah, spot on about the subservience of the game to media money. I wonder how much is let go to "keep the game flowing"?

That aspect of the game infuriates as it causes inconsistency in rulings. How can you be a part of the game when you feel at times it is staged managed like (non)Reality TV?

NRL reports on the goings on at clubs as if it is a tv mini series, secretly they like it. I'm sure they believe any exposure is good exposure, that couldn't be less true.

It's absurd that the one game I know most about due to playing it entire life, watching it whole life, supporting it my whole is the one game I would never place a single dollar on because I know the game will be decided more often than, not by the players, but by the hidden agenda the NRL / media agreed on.

I really hope everyones see how much of a coincidence it is not that the storm and roosters are playing each other when its slaters final year, up against his old mate cronk. The refereeing in the finals series was so one sided, only 2 teams were ever going through to the GF.

Morehead St

Juniors
Looking at the pictures all the tinfoil hat wearers are posting, just reinforces to me that the tackle was fine

Get over it
Yeah! Then please take a moment to explain how those pictures do that.
Oh! Iss...just because you say so? Then I stand corrected. Please accept my apologies.

Latest posts