What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dally M Awards

mickeylane

Bench
What a joke that Josh Jackson was awarded 2nd rower of the year over Frizzell - noted it’s based on points awarded but the system is flawed!

Just think about this scenario... Mitchell Pearce played 8 games less than the winner RTS and finished just 6 points behind him. If Pearce plays another 4 games he most likely wins the Dally M!!

I don’t know what the solution is but is not the current one where nominated individuals are asked to rate players 3-2-1 and hand in their votes.. FFS. Ruhana Sims wasn’t even at a game and lodged her votes in for a certain match!! Welcome to the Dally Ms!!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The system of so called experts giving points is so flawed its not funny. Everyone has "favourite" players and if that player does only 1 thing in a game they will be lauded with points no matter if the rest of their game was crap.

Again the AFL apoear to have this correct with their Brownlow medal, where its the referees who submit the points 3,2,1 for every game. Even on their medal night they announce the 3,2,1 for every game and show the running total. The NRL falls flat by having a "trophy" for their favourite player. How curious that Ponga who finished 2nd and only overtaken in the last round didnt make the position team on stage so he didnt win anything.
Dumb as dog poo.

JJ and Joey Leilua that will do me. Good luck to tHem but how JJ was better than Friz or Sims or even a few others was just a reward to the Bulldogs from the CEO. Leilua better than Mitchell or others lol.

We have 2 refs per game they are the closest to the action let them submit votes not these armchair experts.
Then and only then we can at least see some clarity around the count.

Saint Angelo

Juniors
Honestly, the Eurovision song contest has a better voting system than the Dally M's.

What they should do is let the current NRL players vote for the best player in the position they play.
i.e. all the second rowers would decide the best second rower of the season.

BLM01

First Grade
They should make it a reality show like "the Voice' and just have the public tweet or text votes for their favourites and audience booing or cheering. Have as much credibility
Pearce was one of those "favourite" votes or a sympathy vote in a well beaten team for more than half of the year cause he got shafted by the Roosters.
It is almost like they pick a 3 2 1 from each side. JJ was gallant all year but his side lost a stack of games.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL NEWS

The story behind the forgotten Dally M Medal
Author
Neil Cadigan
Timestamp
Thu 27 Sep 2018, 11:01 AM

I still remember the day well. Steve "Slippery" Morris headed into the News Limited head office in Holt Street to receive the 1979 Dally M Medal as the Daily Mirror's player of the year.

I first met and interviewed Slippery the year before when he was a bolter selection as halfback in the Australian team that played New Zealand – chosen from the Dapto Canaries in the Illawarra competition after shining for Country Seconds with his blinding speed off the mark.

St George quickly snapped him up with Dapto teammate Brian Johnson and they went on to star in the Dragons' premiership success.

To win a grand final and become the Mirror's player of the year in his debut season in Sydney was a massive feat and fellow young Mirror journalist Tim Prentice and I were given the responsibility of meeting Morris, taking him around to News Limited Sydney boss Brian Hogben's office to accept the medal, get a photo taken and then take Slippery to lunch at the Evening Star hotel.

I still remember Slippery being a bit dirty that there was no cash prize to accompany the Dally M Medal as Parramatta's Mick Cronin had won the Mirror's award in '78 which included, I think, a $1000 booty. But it was under the name of the KB Gold Medal if my memory serves me right, sponsored by Tooths brewery.

Watch: Dally M Red Carpet Show

The 1979 version was the launch of the Dally M – but, until now, had been written out of history.

As my career took me to Tasmania towards the end of the next season and through Rugby League Week, to England, club administration and Big League, I always wondered why Slippery's medal was ignored on the official lists as the Dally M took over from the Rothmans Medal, which became defunct after 1996, as league's most distinguished player award.

The voting system was the same – points allocated on a 3, 2, 1 basis by a panel that included either reporters from the Mirror (or later the Daily Telegraph after the afternoon tabloid The Mirror folded in 1990) or guest judges like columnists Clive Churchill, Bernie Purcell, Ken Irvine or Bob Fulton.

The only difference was that the following season, 1980, positional awards were added to the Dally M concept after Channel 10, which had taken over televised rights from Channel 7, approached the Mirror about staging a Rothmans Medal style presentation dinner to be broadcast live.

Robert "Rocky" Laurie won that year's major award and in all annals since that was recorded as the launch of the Dally Ms as we know them today.

Like me, Slippery also wondered why he had been banished into anonymity. I ran into him at a Dapto players reunion around 2003 and he asked me about that day he came into Holt Street and why the medal he still possessed that was never recognised.

I told Slippery I would look into it.

I was editor of Big League at the time and the Dally M Medal concept was run as an award by the Telegraph although the NRL was taking an increasing role in the awards night. Over the next few years the NRL took more control over what became the "official" awards of the game, just as The Immortals – a Rugby League Week promotion in 1981 – grew to what it is today.

I spoke to NRL boss David Gallop about it who told me the Dally M was still the responsibility of the Telegraph and I should speak to chief league writer and my former Mirror colleague Peter Frilingos. Peter explained how the Dally M expanded in 1980 to include awards in each position and became a gala TV event and it was decided to recognise winners from then. I unsuccessfully argued Morris owned a medal with the same name which decided on the same merit as the others, and deserved to be recognised in some way.

Come the game's centenary year in 2008 when I was working as a contractor for the NRL and the Daily Telegraph I posed the question again to several people suggesting it was the perfect time to recognise Morris's achievement but, with the Dally M in a grey area between the two organisations as it kept evolving, the argument again failed to get traction.

A decade later, earlier this year, I asked league's most respected and knowledgeable historian/statistician David Middleton if he was aware Morris had won what I believed was the first Dally M Medal in 1979. Even he had no idea of the situation, having assumed the medal's history began in 1980.

It was through Middleton's advocacy as part of the NRL's history committee, after tracking down 1979 press clippings, that he garnered support within the NRL and the long saga was finally resolved at the Dally M awards night this week and Slippery was finally given the recognition he deserves.

The NRL management under Todd Greenberg, the Telegraph and most certainly Middleton should be applauded for enabling Steve Morris's name to be written back into history and giving him such a justifiable surprise in front of his sons Brett and Josh.

Weeks after the NRL made the right decision to add four pre-war champions to the Immortals list, the two most celebrated player awards in rugby league are now complete.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/27/the-story-behind-the-forgotten-dally-m-medal/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons great Steve Morris honoured at Dally M Medal night
Local Sport
r87_110_2297_2911_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Steve Morris in action for the Dragons in 1982.

WHILE New Zealand Warriors skipper Roger Tuivasa-Sheck may have taken out the main award on offer at Wednesday night’s Dally M Medal night, held at the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay in Sydney – it was one South Coast product who received his own massive honour.

In a special presentation, former St George player Steve Morris, who now teaches at Bomaderry High School and is heavily involved with the Kiama Knights, was officially added to the record books as the first recipient of the Dally M Medal.

Morris, who played 247 first grade games as well as five State of Origins for NSW and one Test for Australia, was awarded a Dally M Medal in 1979, but until Wednesday night was never acknowledged as a Dally M Medal winner.

"Steve has never been recognised since, but our records will be updated to show he won the first Dally M Medal,'' NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said to Fairfax Media of the father of NRL twins Josh and Brett.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...orris-honoured-at-dally-m-medal-night/?cs=302

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Can someone clarify something for me?

I thought the old Rothmans Medal was replaced as the Dally M Medal, and that Ray Price won the award in 1979.

Is this incorrect?