What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

phonetic

Juniors
I enjoyed the atmosphere, but where I was, 25 rows back in 624 (broadcast side) there were plenty of empty seats. No huge batches that look obvious, but lots of 4-6 lines of empty seats. Looking down on level 1 our side, it seemed a similar story especially in the corners. It was all made more obvious by the chemist warehouse paraphernalia on each seat. I find the 82k figure very hard to believe. 75k was about the number in my opinion.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I enjoyed the atmosphere, but where I was, 25 rows back in 624 (broadcast side) there were plenty of empty seats. No huge batches that look obvious, but lots of 4-6 lines of empty seats. Looking down on level 1 our side, it seemed a similar story especially in the corners. It was all made more obvious by the chemist warehouse paraphernalia on each seat. I find the 82k figure very hard to believe. 75k was about the number in my opinion.
The capacity now is closer to 84k so it's not a stretch to think there were 1.5k-2k worth of empty seats.

Even then, they probably count performers and corporates who didn't turn up.

Either way - not sure what worth there is in questioning a crowd like that. Looked full on TV.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
There is always worth in calling out BS in my opinion, but each to their own.

I just don't understand how you'd possibly come to the conclusion there were 7-8k empty seats.

Maybe 3-4k, maybe the real figure was closer to 79-80k. To suggest there was 75k there is pointless and excessive.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Looked great on TV, sounded loud, would have been great to be there. If only the roosters weren't on fire for the first 20, I would have enjoyed it more

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hope the Roosters have a good marketing campaign ready. Even though they are premiers, the SCG awaits.

Surprisingly clubs that win a GF dont usually go on to record a big membership or crowd increase the following year. Weird as you'd think fans would be more motivated to follow them after a win?

beave

Coach
Surprisingly clubs that win a GF dont usually go on to record a big membership or crowd increase the following year. Weird as you'd think fans would be more motivated to follow them after a win?

If clubs were smart they’d set up a stall at the next day hoo-haa with all the fans, specifically driving memberships.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
If clubs were smart they’d set up a stall at the next day hoo-haa with all the fans for membership.

yep with a free premiership winning tshirt for anyone signing up. But no one ever accused clubs of being smart!~

Marlins

Juniors
I hope the Roosters have a good marketing campaign ready. Even though they are premiers, the SCG awaits.
Hopefully a few of their scg matches will be against Sydney sides, on a Sunday arvo. Matches against Souths/Tigers/Dragons could be big games, with abit of nostalgia.

Valheru

Coach
Hopefully a few of their scg matches will be against Sydney sides, on a Sunday arvo. Matches against Souths/Tigers/Dragons could be big games, with abit of nostalgia.

ANZAC day is ours next year so it will be interesting to see if we get the full 50k

sempmrh

Juniors
It was a good crowd despite a few groupings of empty seats here and there. The official figure might be slightly exaggerated but it wouldn’t have been far off if it was.

Say what you will about the stadium itself but the precinct is fairly well organised for a major event like this. There aren’t many potential bottlenecks while entering or exiting and I’d say having so much open space around the stadium helps. The station seemed well managed as well and getting on a train and away was fairly easy.

big hit!

Bench

sydney fc are playing matches there in the spring...i think they're turning the orientation of the field to east-west and bringing it closer to bradman/noble stand for all but the derby

Rooster8

Juniors
sydney fc are playing matches there in the spring...i think they're turning the orientation of the field to east-west and bringing it closer to bradman/noble stand for all but the derby
Correct. The other side is unavailable to spectators. Wonder if they’d open it during the derbies.
9957990D-0C2E-4B47-A261-AD58171B43F9.png

Chook Norris

First Grade
I'm more and more convinced that whilst NRL fans obviously like success, they are more inclined to show harder support for teams when they're underdogs.

There is a severe case of tall poppy syndrome across NRL fans. It shows in a lot of people's second or third team being underdogs (e.g. warriors, panthers, parra); teams who haven't won in a while.

In summary - typical NRL fans don't like successful teams and similarly, NRL fans of successful teams don't feel the need to support their teams as much when they're successful. It's a sad way to think about it, but I'm not surprised at your fact/assertion