What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See ya Slater

Morehead St

Juniors
View attachment 23895
He’s arms are in there, whether you like it or not. I’ve said nothing about the whole East-West thing so I don’t know why you’re bringing that up with me. Like I’ve said all along, they used a technicality to beat the charge, plain and simple. He’s not the first to beat a shoulder charge charge and he won’t be the last
The whole point is: Should he have beaten the charge?
That is what this debate is about. To say a technicality was used to justify an unjustifiable decision has been said directly and indirectly by everyone here who believes Slater was guilty. You are adding nothing new.
The issue remains: Should he have beaten the charge?
Just because a judiciary finds him innocent, that does not mean he is innocent. That is what the "to 'n' fro" on this site is all about.
Leading up to the contact and at the point of impact the shoulder was always the first and main weapon. If Slater had saluted just before the shoulder was used, that may exonerate him if a technicality was needed by the NRL to find an excuse - any excuse - to break their own rules.
That does not mean it was not a shoulder charge as laid down by the rules; and as judged by the onfield ref. And even as described by those commentators who wanted Slater let off the charge when they defended him by saying: "It was all he could do", " He saved a try", etc. By trying to justify the illegal tackle in that manner they are admitting it was illegal.
The rule refers to using or attempting to use the arms. Slater does neither of those. A warped view of those words was used to justify a warped decision.

footy75

Bench
Wasnt too fussed on the booking during the game, because that’s all part of the mental edge. Didn’t think it was right for booing to continue every time his face was on screen post match. But whatever, he’s acheieved more than just about anyone else in that stadium so I’m sure he won’t be feeling too bad about himself

What do you expect from morons.

Billy Slater has been great for the game of Rugby League.

Morehead St

Juniors
Totally agree. By creating a protected species in Slater, and in fact the whole Melbourne side, the NRL opened itself up to the booing. Again for Canard's benefit, I'm not saying it's right to do it. I wouldn't have. But rugby league fans are quite often feral bogans who will take any opportunity to boo or cause a ruckus. Fans resent the preferential treatment Slater got... some vented online, some in work places and pubs/bars etc, and some went further at the GF and booed. If the GF had been two weeks ago, or Slater hadn't been absolved of a clear breach of the laws, he wouldn't have been booed.

Just makes me laugh that people like Cam Smith then say that Slater has 'only ever been someone good for the game' when that's what he and the sycophantic media might want you to think, but it's complete f**king BS. Slater's (and Smith's) rap sheets are endless and full of filth. They deserve to be lauded for their on-field skill but as people I reckon they're both lacking - Smith especially.
Does anyone know how I can hit "Like" fifty times for that comment/analysis/truth?

firechild

First Grade
Wasnt too fussed on the booking during the game, because that’s all part of the mental edge. Didn’t think it was right for booing to continue every time his face was on screen post match. But whatever, he’s acheieved more than just about anyone else in that stadium so I’m sure he won’t be feeling too bad about himself
I hope people boo the prick in 5 years time while he's paying for a coffee. The maggot deserved everything he got last night.

Morehead St

Juniors
Wrong.

I'm glad you said that early in your lengthy post so I didn't have to waste my time reading it.
Just be honest - You got tired after the first few lines and gave up?
That's OK - just man-up. No need to hide behind a fib. Many people see a lot of writing and fall apart. It is why we have special schools.

Valheru

Coach
Billy wouldn't have been booed had he not committed a blatant shoulder charge last week and subsequently unfairly let off by the judiciary.

Having said that the booing was not as pronounced post game. Not sure how it came across on TV but in my section at least most people didn't boo post game.

Morehead St

Juniors
Hahaha, people are still crying about this.
Yeah People are still debating the guilt or not of many aspects of life - that is why we have documentaries, books, pod casts, etc. Funny.
I am even led to believe that Economists are even talking about the cause of the GFC; Historians are still disagreeing on the reasons for the invasion of Iraq; journalists still writing their views on why Turnbull got the chop; the average person still wants to know why the State Govt wanted to knock ANZ over; Do the Kardashians deserve their millions? Could electricity prices be lower? Does big media lie? etc etc.
Yeah, it's called taking an interest. Some call it expressing an opinion. Others say they make comments when they feel they have been done over so if enough people are "crying" then the powers that be, will think twice before repeating the deliberate error.
What I find amusing is this: Hahaha, people are still crying about people having a debate.
Haha (Does anyone know how I can make my typing of that sound resemble Nelson?)

Fact is for many people, Slater isn't liked. Yes he can be affable and friendly, but people look at thing like his preferential treatment by the Judiciary (last week as an example) and the Match Review Committee (remember the kung-fu kicks when catching bombs), and then his carry on when on the field (look at how he carried on during the review of the Keary field goal). Along with Cameron Smith, Slater comes across as win at all costs, and if that means pushing the boundaries of what many would consider sportsmanship, he does it.

Fallout of that though is you will not be well liked amongst opposition supporters and quite a few of the neutrals as well.

Springs09

Juniors
Except I dont see Sharkies or Roosters fans crying when their players get booed.
Gallen has made a living off getting booed, especially in QLD
Latrell Mitchell will do the same in his career.
DCE is another, except his home State hates him too.

QLDers booed every Australian player from NSW in the World Cup Final, both when their name was read out on screen pre-game and when they got their medals. Compared to that, the crowd last night was classy and respectful.

Canard

Immortal
Abusing the ref all night, trying his grubby milking tactics - if Billy had respect on the field he might get some respect on it.

Yes that's what it is.

Those Rooster's fans are passionate about respecting the referee, and whilst sitting in their seats where able to here every conversation held between player and official.

In fact, you would go so far as to say the Roosters fans are actually good sports!

Springs09

Juniors
Yes that's what it is.

Those Rooster's fans are passionate about respecting the referee, and whilst sitting in their seats where able to here every conversation held between player and official.

In fact, you would go so far as to say the Roosters fans are actually good sports!

Yeah that's what it is, taking things at face value.

FFS

Storm players are the “perfect citizens” totally professional when everything goes right for them.

They are the very worst sports when it doesn’t. It’s because of their arrogance that they expect to win. They think they are a superior football team that do everything so much better than other football clubs. It’s ingrained into their minds. So when reality sets in that this is total bullshyte they can’t handle it.

Canard

Immortal
Storm players are the “perfect citizens” totally professional when everything goes right for them.

They are the very worst sports when it doesn’t. It’s because of their arrogance that they expect to win. They think they are a superior football team that do everything so much better than other football clubs. It’s ingrained into their minds. So when reality sets in that this is total bullshyte they can’t handle it.

Each to there own of course, but I would actually want my football team to expect to win.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade

As a supporter of neither side, I thought Smith was civil in his speech & congratulations of the Chooken being the better side on the night.

You can't ask for anymore than that from a losing captain.

Last edited:

Latest posts