What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

super_coach

First Grade
Outside the fact that Bennett draws plenty of media attention and that would keep our brand name up in lights for the duration of his stay, I see it as a bad choice. Anyway its all hypothetical as the chances of him coming to Concord are next to none.

At his age he will try and link up with a team with a real chance of getting the Holy Grail and we are still a long way off that.

I see Cleary being around at least one year and probably two. by that time Hogo might have some runs on the board and ready to make the next step. Not saying I agree but our club usually takes the budget option when they can.

We need some quality players more than quality coaches, but I guess they come hand in hand

Tiger05

First Grade
We need some quality players more than quality coaches, but I guess they come hand in hand

The first option has to be a trade for players. If you get Bennett and TPJ that is fine but we need to make a deal to improve us as a club on the park.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
my guess is he will not have to worry about buying any nappy san

About to eat my dinner last night and he springs that on me.
Not that i know how much Nappies are at Coles...But expensive i hear.
I have had the same problem but for a different reason last few years regarding all the shit signings we have made.(Gotitnot,McQeen,Rochow,MWZ etc.) I was free balling it then to save money.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Outside the fact that Bennett draws plenty of media attention and that would keep our brand name up in lights for the duration of his stay, I see it as a bad choice. Anyway its all hypothetical as the chances of him coming to Concord are next to none.

At his age he will try and link up with a team with a real chance of getting the Holy Grail and we are still a long way off that.

I see Cleary being around at least one year and probably two. by that time Hogo might have some runs on the board and ready to make the next step. Not saying I agree but our club usually takes the budget option when they can.

Whilst I agree Bennett’s aura isn’t what it was. Where could he walk into that’s near winning a Comp?

Teams that had the squad:

Storm - No
Roosters - No
Panthers - No
Cowboys - No
Dragons - Unlikley
Souths - Unlikley
Warriors - Unlikely

His options would be:
Manly - miles away
Eels - miles away but have facilities and corporate support
Dogs - cap a mess, seem happy with Pay
Raiders - Unlikley
Knights - No
Titans - Unlikely
Sharks - Flanagan extended

Really it would be between us, Eels and Titans IMO

BrotherJim05

Bench
Whilst I agree Bennett’s aura isn’t what it was. Where could he walk into that’s near winning a Comp?

Teams that had the squad:

Storm - No
Roosters - No
Panthers - No
Cowboys - No
Dragons - Unlikley
Souths - Unlikley
Warriors - Unlikely

His options would be:
Manly - miles away
Eels - miles away but have facilities and corporate support
Dogs - cap a mess, seem happy with Pay
Raiders - Unlikley
Knights - No
Titans - Unlikely
Sharks - Flanagan extended

Really it would be between us, Eels and Titans IMO

Yeah this is exactly what makes it interesting. Tigers wouldn't be Bennett's first choice, not by a mile, but he realistically has no other options.

Gold Goast perhaps if he wants to stay in Qld, but I don't see him going any where else

BrotherJim05

Bench
Imagine:

1. Mbye
2. Nofa
3. Marsters
4. Boyd
5. Oates
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Packer
9. Liddle
10. Matulino
11. Lawrence
12. Pangai Jr
13. ET

14. Twal
15. Lodge (I know I know, this isn't going to happen anyway so just roll with it)
16. Matterson
17. MCK/Aloai

General Stripes

Juniors
Yeah this is exactly what makes it interesting. Tigers wouldn't be Bennett's first choice, not by a mile, but he realistically has no other options.

That's why we shouldn't sign him.

We already have 1 coach with an eye on the door, we need one that wants to stay and build something here. Not someone who will bolt when there is a better offer.

Vic Mackey

Referee
No to Bennett,I just can’t help but think of the part he played in leaving the Knights in a right mess on his departure from Newcastle.

Fair point and yes that’s a risk. However different circumstances IMO. Bennett was brought to the Knights and told ‘win us a comp.’ He went about that as best he could, by buying immediate success. Keep in mind he did get them to a Prelim Final. Things then fell apart when Tinklers cash dried up and their Star Player had major off field issues.

Bennett is a star and WILL attract big name players, sponsors, fans etc. To me it is worth the risk.

Pilot house

Juniors
7 titles, his teams always make the finals, he provides respect.

Other clubs would be afraid of tigers under a Bennett regime.

He almost went to the bunnies pre-Madge.

Broncos are mad pensioning him off.

He’s still got plenty to offer I’d say another 5 or 6 years.

So you must be a chance.

gordsy

Juniors
Bennett would be a great signing not just because he would Improve our first grade squad and attract dollars to us but hopefully he would Improve our pathways to first grade etc. Hopefully he pisses off that cretin Ronnie Palmer as well.

super_coach

First Grade

General Stripes

Juniors
I think everything mightb happen in 2020, and Bennett and Cleary stay put till than. Riffs rookie coach appointed for one year so Cleary moves in next year, uncle Wayne sees out his contract in Brisvagas and makes the move in his wheel chair to the Tigs in 2020.

All very neat

Not very neat when you consider we have player signing etc to come.
How can the coach convince stars to stay when he is taking off.

Get rid of him now.

Shredder

Juniors
I have a slightly different view on Bennett.

I think with all his years coaching the ONLY club north of the border, he should probably have won more titles than he did.

He had his pick of all of the Queenslanders for years and years while virtually all of the other clubs were arguing over the NSW cattle.

Personally I would prefer Madge.

But ultimately, the most important thing is having stability in the coaching ranks.

Latest posts