What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NRL TV Ratings

El Diablo

Post Whore
And all the polynesians will start playing AFL, much to the happiness of old Rambutan.
he doesn't like dark skinned people

he blamed at least one of Parras bad years on them. Rammy said you can't have too many in a team because they're not intelligent like white people

El Diablo

Post Whore
Hmmm. Well I'll say it again, we are top heavy in that group of player and it has been detrimental to our ability to get the best kids in our catchment area to come through the system. Of course there are good and great players from Island and Maori decent, but they have a very easy going nature and when a team has over 50% representation year after year, the steel and leadership that an NRL team needs suffers and you at best get yoyo results(Warriors) at worst you get Parramatta wooden spoons and bottom 4 finishes.
My only issue though is when there are to many in the one team that they have that bro culture that is way to chilled for a long term successful team to triumph.
That is why you cannot have a team that is majority Polynesian, unless you are blessed to have the majority of the mentally tough ones in the NRL.

Skill, strength and speed as we all know is only part of the story. We always talk about mental toughness.

Brian Smith, with his love of the big powerful and fast Poly player, started this trend in the Parra club. He liked yes men that would just follow his instructions(and I put Hindmarsh in this group too) and weeded out all our leaders and mentally strong guys, and we haven't come back since.

People may not like this, but it is what it is. Mental toughness is a trait just like speed or strength, why do we select on those basis???
The NRL has around 38% mixed Islanders. Out of that I would say around 10-12% are top notch and have the right mental toughness that can equal anyone else that the success of the Kiwis.

We seem to have mostly of the other 25-27% that aren't worth squat when in the trenches.
I mean how hard is it really to figure out. If we were to pick the mentally toughest 20 RL players in the NRL, I bet most would have at least 2/3 of the squad anglo, anglo/aboriginal or anglo/islander like say a Jeremy Smith type.
a few more that can't seem to be quoted
https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/...and-more-crap-xx.443462/page-45#post-10791515
https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/posts/10492549/
https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/posts/10322762/

twesty

Juniors
Im talking about the GF comparison article you f**king spastic. At what point did I mention the week by week comparison?
Calm down Beave.

I was also referring to that article. It starts with the full ratings for both GFs.
NRL Grand Final secures second 3m+ national weekend audience
• Seven secures weekend’s biggest audience with 3.38m for AFL
• Both AFL and NRL Grand Final audiences down year-on-year
• Seven’s cricket hits a six on debut with women’s cricket record

As a second point I posted a tweet showing seasons comparisons which were incorrectly compared by the HS

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/en...raw-in-a-bigger-audience-20181001-p50722.html

Send via Email

View all comments

Saturday's AFL grand final snapped up more viewers than yesterday's NRL clash between the Sydney Roosters and Melbourne Storm.

An average 3.38 million people tuned in to the Seven Network to watch the West Coast Eagles defeat Collingwood by just five points. Sunday was another big day for sport, but fewer people switched on their televisions, with around 3.03 million people tuning in to the NRL grand final.

While AFL proved to be the more popular sporting code nationally, the rugby league showdown was the favourite outside the capital cities.

Around 911,000 people from the regions tuned in to watch Sunday's clash – significantly more than the 770,000 people who flocked to the nearest TV to watch the AFL.

Rugby league also proved more popular among those wanting to catch some pre-game entertainment. Just over 1.7 million people tuned in to watch indie rock group Gang of Youths take Sydney's ANZ Stadium by storm.

In comparison, just 1.2 million people decided to tune into the AFL grand final before the kick-off. This year, the AFL had brought on '00s hit-makers The Black Eyed Peas in the hope they'd rock it out at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

But the performance was marred by a small controversy when, during the show, the pop group's frontman Will.i.am was seen checking his phone. He later explained that he was live-streaming the performance on social media.

The Black Eyed Peas were followed by local legend Jimmy Barnes, who whipped the crowd into applause

The weekend's TV ratings reinforce the old adage that AFL is king in the southern states, while north of the Murray River, rugby league reigns supreme. Despite Melbourne playing in the NRL grand final, just as many people from Brisbane tuned in to watch the game – and that's without Queensland being represented in the titanic clash.

During the AFL grand final, Sydney's audience peaked at just a third of Melbourne's - but that's unsurprising given the MCG showdown was between clubs from Victoria and Western Australia.

Perth's AFL grand final audience peaked at 568,000 people - markedly higher than Sydney's 508,000 - while Melbourne remained the AFL capital, with its audience peaking at 1.45 million.

Diesel

Referee
Time to ditch the night time GF, it’s not doing it for 9 and kids are missing the game, RL will suffer in the long run.

Johnny88

Juniors
Beaten again by the AFL

I wouldn't be raving about the afl ratings. Lowest since 2008 as well. That's bad considering powerhouse Collingwood was in the GF.

NRL and AFL grand final TV ratings drop to their lowest in a decade
While the West Coast Eagles won the flag in a tight match against Collingwood on Saturday, viewers failed to support it — the audience size on Seven was the lowest since 2008,

Judging by the continuing decline in both grand final audiences since 2008, it’s now clear that Seven, Nine and Fox Sports/Foxtel have overpaid for their telecasting rights.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...lowest-in-a-decade/ar-BBNLO1b?ocid=spartandhp

Last Week

Bench

grobbelaar

Juniors
Traditional TV has been in steady decline for 10 years now. By the time the next broadcast deals are negotiated, most of us will be consuming our sport differently.

Hard to predict whether both codes can get the same money in total, but whatever it is, the mix will be different to what it is today (and it will still be much more than what anyone else is getting).

TheRam

Coach
lol

sure you did

Don't know about you El Dicko, but every time I watch that Haka for RTS it brings a tear to my eye of the good kind. Like I said, loved it.

You make the same mistake as most left liberals do and try to shut down all contrarian views by screaming racist.

Here's a question for you. How many great Polynesian/Maori halves are there in the NRL? Look at Shaun Johnson, gifted beyond words and yet a yo yo player. From there there are very slim pickings. Look at Thurston, a colossal person and player, but Johnson has way more skills then him and should be every bit as good if not better. In fact I would go as far to say that Johnson is probably the most skilful half I have ever seen and yet he is the biggest disappointment to watch week in week out. His game has gone backwards in many respects even though he had a better season overall this year.

Why does he disappear so often for large portions of the game and notably during the most crucial periods, when he should be demanding the ball and finding that something that the greats do and owning the result?

What is the difference between the two? Answer mental toughness. I love watching Johnson play well and for a long time he was one of my favourite players to watch, but now I just get frustrated and angry watching him squander his great gifts and talent. This year when everyone was singing the Warriors praises and saying that they have turned the corner and are now a focused and better team, I wasn't convinced.

They still were dropping in and out of games when they shouldn't of and just as importantly they then would rely on that chaos football to get them out of trouble. Sure they were better, but still they were the same. No one wins an NRL Grand Final without mental toughness.

Nerd

Bench
Like I have said many times, the AFL is winning the war. If the NRL needs fairy tales and Cinderella stories every year to win the ratings, then it is losing the battle.

The AFL is by far the national leading football code right across the country by most measures. They are now at the stage in NSW where if fans don't have a direct connection or emotional tie with the teams that are playing, they could not care less about the result or to even sit and watch it. I have met and spoken to so many people over the last few years that couldn't give a rats. Whereas a decade ago most people I knew or spoke to would have an interest and would have plans to watch it somewhere with friends and or family.

Kids in particular have lost interest. This is the most concerning aspect. Another 10-20 years and NSW will be close to equal RL and AFL supporters. They are funding and taking over so many grounds now that would have been laughable only a few years ago. El Dicko and others may scoff and ridicule the messenger, but I have been warning of this for over 10 years now and slowly but surely the AFL roots are spreading and their fruits are ripening right across the eastern states. Queensland will take a little longer then NSW due to being more parochial, but they will succumb too.

The writing is on the wall, and the NRL are playing the harp while their cities and country towns are burning.
What an utter load of dribble. How could the AFL be the leading national code when they had a season viewer decline of around 12% on the previous season???? The NRL beat them in overall viewer numbers and when Origin and internationals are added in it is a whooping. The fact that AFL have zero representative games is their problem not ours. Here in QLD the AFL to their credit is ploughing millions into junior development but with minimal gain. Any gain they have seen is from a very low starting base and considering that "Aussie Rules" has been played in QLD for over a 100 years the fact that they need to spend this sort of coin to raise the participation numbers isn't a good sign for the code. Add this to the failure of their expansion clubs GWS, Lions and Suns and their inability to gain any international interest with both their NZ and China expansion disasters and it's the AFL that is in decline. Go back to big footy where they eat up this sort of mindless, poorly researched crap.

TheRam

Coach
What an utter load of dribble. How could the AFL be the leading national code when they had a season viewer decline of around 12% on the previous season???? The NRL beat them in overall viewer numbers and when Origin and internationals are added in it is a whooping. The fact that AFL have zero representative games is their problem not ours. Here in QLD the AFL to their credit is ploughing millions into junior development but with minimal gain. Any gain they have seen is from a very low starting base and considering that "Aussie Rules" has been played in QLD for over a 100 years the fact that they need to spend this sort of coin to raise the participation numbers isn't a good sign for the code. Add this to the failure of their expansion clubs GWS, Lions and Suns and their inability to gain any international interest with both their NZ and China expansion disasters and it's the AFL that is in decline. Go back to big footy where they eat up this sort of mindless, poorly researched crap.

Keep telling yourself all of that. Fact is they have more money, assets, player participation, competition foot print, attendance figures off the charts and overall national presence. Just because their outpost teams aren't doing well on the field doesn't mean that the public aren't aware of them or don't support them. When teams are losing in any sport, fans keep away. When they start to win and have sustained success, that's when fans jump on as in RL too.

So, expect for example, when the GWS start to have sustained success, the fans will come. Guaranteed. That's what fans do, especially Sydney fans. AFL is now in the psyche of most Aussies, whether we like it or not. That was always the first step the AFL admin were working on. You don't just take over entrenched sporting landscapes in a few years. They have a 50+ year strategy. They will win this war I reckon by 2040 and be a clear winner even to deniers like you and El Dicko.

The NRL has no such strategy, and is constantly playing catch up and giving lip service. The clubs run our game and the NRL is to incompetent to stop it and change course and correct it.

Oh and as far as them bleeding money...don't make me laugh. They are the ones that have all the money and assets remember? We have zero assets and zero money and remember, we were the code that had to take out a bridging loan to cover our expenses, NOT the AFL. I wish were as broke and bleeding money as they are FFS fools! Talk about creative denial.

grobbelaar

Juniors

A whooping?

There is a very good reason why sponsors and advertisers flood to the AFL in preference to the NRL (and by a considerable margin).

No, it's not a conspiracy.

Obviously you have the attendances which are chalk and cheese.

Then, on top of that, you have this in relation to the advantage Seven gets from being the home of the AFL:

HARD BALL GETS
How the footy stats stack up for fierce foes Seven and Nine.

27 — The number of ratings weeks won by Seven so far this year. Nine has won three: one before the AFL season, one State of Origin week and the week of the AFL’s pre-finals bye.

36 — The number of nights this year when Seven screened AFL and Nine screened NRL at the same time. Seven won all 36 nights.

45.4% — Seven Network’s share of the free-to-air TV audience the night of the First Preliminary Final. Nine’s share was 24 per cent.

Latest posts