What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GI, shortest Roos captaincy ever?

Pommy

Coach
Yes it does..The ugly prick could have killed somebody else in another car...
Probbaly over the limit on "alcohol spirits"..lol
Hes as dumb as they come.......cant even put 2 words together..
Hes well suited as a Koorie...lol

I think you’ve totally misread my first comment then.

He was a couple of lagers over the limit, no priors form.

He’s generally an excellent driver.

Plus he was only out there to support his people and do good stuff.

A couple of years ago, .085 would be low range.

Souths has never been a club without mercy and forgiveness for one of our own.

He’s one of the finest players of all time.

Gi is still my captain.

No Boyd Cordiner is your captain and Sam Burgess will more than likely be your club captain.

Pilot house

Juniors
I mean if he’d had a few just before he left, he was probably ok when he set out and it caught up with him.

That can happen as can speeding with all these stupid senseless new laws causing accidents.

He’s lost the greatest prize in rugby league.

Forum cuddle for gi.

Still my captain.

ouryears

Bench
What's important is that the NRL not only sets a standard that their players must abide by, but send a message to the wider RL, sporting and general Australian community that drink driving will not be tolerated.
A slap on the wrist will achieve nothing.
2 match ban announced?

callmack1

Staff member
GI falls foul of standards he helped establish: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/02/greg-inglis-falls-foul-of-standards-he-helped-establish/

Greg Inglis Press Conference: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/10/02/greg-inglis-press-conference/

Inglis to miss Kangaroo tour: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/10/02/inglis-to-miss-kangaroo-tour/

There is absoulutely no excuse for what GI has done and I believe drink driving is one of the worst things you can do on the road. It endangers the lives of so many innocent people and like I say, there is no excuse.

However, after more details have emerged, this doesn't sound as bad as I first thought. GI had his last drink at 1am and left it til around 2pm the next day before he got behind the wheel to give it some time. In his mind, he thought he was sweet and that he'd done the right thing. However, this was a big mistake, one that has now cost him and really, he should still know better.

That is not an excuse at all and GI (even though he's my favourite) deserves to be punished, I'm just saying it's not as bad as some cases because he didn't intentionally go out and drink drive knowing he was under the influence, he tried to do the right thing and give it time and in my mind, it was an honest mistake.

Either way, good on him for fronting the media and owning his actions.

Travitoh

First Grade
The Koori Knockout is meant to be a no-alcohol event and GI has blown approx 15 standard drinks over the limit at 2pm the next day. He set off at approx 11am i believe which using a BAC calculator would have him blowing over .10 - more than double the legal limit.

Then add to the matter that he was speeding while in this condition. I would expect better from someone of GI's standing in the game and community.

I'd hate to think of what kind of state he was in at 1am when he finished up (if that is in fact the truth).
Great role model for his community.

And having the arrogance to state that he won't step down as captain is poor from someone who is meant to be a leader of the game. It shows a lack of remorse for his actions imo.

GI losing the Australian captaincy isn't even chicken feed compared to what Australian families have lost as a result of a drunken individual getting behind the wheel of a car.

George Burgess was banned for two games for damaging property, Mitchell Pearce got 8 weeks for pissed up antics and Todd Carney had his contract torn up. GI has currently lost his spot in the Australian team for two games.
Of those 4, which is the more severe crime? Which is a genuine issue every weekend endangering the lives of innocent Australians?
I'll give you a hint - it isn't pissing in your own mouth.

2 international friendlies in the offseason that a lot of the RL community won't bother to follow is not enough at all.

Thankfully no one was harmed but to understand the seriousness of these actions, you have to look at why those laws are in place. It's not for shits and giggles, the laws are in place for the safety of all Australians.

Sadly i don't believe the NRL will treat this as seriously as they should and it is why RL is struggling to grow.

Travitoh

First Grade
*moved as there is already a discussion*

I don’t think arrogant is fair. I think Inglis loves playing for his country and obviously he doesn’t want to give that up. What he did was stupid and he probably does deserve to be punished for it but if you’re gonna give a 2 game ban over drink driving are we gonna start dishing out bans for assaulting, drugs and other forms of crime? I think half the NRL would be banned if we started doing that and it’s mostly due to the culture of rugby league. I think the problem starts with the culture and I think until it’s fixed shit like this is always gonna happen. I think there is a feeling of being invulnerable from the law among most sporting athletes as they are famous. However, Inglis should know better especially as he is a senior player in the Souths squad and we have players looking up to him.

Kevin Proctor and Jesse Bromwich have only just been welcomed back into the NZ fold since being busted with cocaine over 12 months ago aswell as being banned for 6 games between them and Ben Barba lost his NRL contract because of drug use.
As it stands, GI's penalty is actually quite lenient and then take into consideration the potential consequences of their actions and tell me who should get the heavier punishment.

I do agree that there is a cultural problem amongst NRL players but that doesn't make it ok.

Sadly, the only way some people will understand the potential seriousness of GI's actions at the weekend is if he had hit another vehicle and killed those inside it. But even then i get a feeling that some supporters would prefer to see families lose loved ones instead of Souths lose games.

Pilot house

Juniors
He waited about a day to sober up.

He lacked the intent to drink drive, in fact he went out of his way to avoid being in this position, but he misjudged it.

No one supports drink driving or dead or maimed relatives.

He’s got no criminal record. He’s always helping people

A few years ago his reading would have been at the lower end of low range. Barely over.

NSW is a police state sure, but we are not yet Nazi Germany.

Still my captain.

Pommy

Coach
One of the saddest things about this is he has really let his community down on a day that could have had young indigenous kids believing if they work hard they could also overcome any adversity they face and go on to great things just like he has.
Instead I’ve heard in real life and seen on this forum the same negative stereotypes being thrown about.

He lacked the intent to drink drive, in fact he went out of his way to avoid being in this position, but he misjudged it.

A few years ago his reading would have been at the lower end of low range. Barely over.

Still my captain.

NSW is a police state because you can’t drink drive? Ok......

Pilot house

Juniors
It’s a police state because the cops and state agencies generally have too many powers and run around disturbing and harassing innocent people.

They are politicised.

Aboriginal deaths in custody ima, the shooting of mentally unwell people. Many cases of corruption.

10% of people they bust are found to be innocent by the courts.

The cops are fair game, they need to be policed.

Lethal force come with responsibilities.

We can’t live without them, but we gotta make them accountable.

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade

He slept and then got into the car. That's hardly waiting a day.

Going out of his way to avoid being in this position would be to have someone else drive or wait longer until he knew for certain that he'd be fine. Instead he just gave it the old "she'll be right" and off he went.

Yet here you are telling us that he did nothing wrong because he apparently tried his best not to.

He does now and why should being a good bloke make him unpunishable?

And a few years ago the number of deaths in DUI accidents were higher.
And let's not forget that 0.085 is the lowest reading GI gave the police after having spent 2-3 hours behind the wheel already, plus whatever time it took to take him to the station.
He would've blown much higher when he took off.

Laws aren't in place because of those who follow them.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
It’s a police state because the cops and state agencies generally have too many powers and run around disturbing and harassing innocent people.

They are politicised.

Aboriginal deaths in custody ima, the shooting of mentally unwell people. Many cases of corruption.

10% of people they bust are found to be innocent by the courts.

The cops are fair game, they need to be policed.

Lethal force come with responsibilities.

We can’t live without them, but we gotta make them accountable.

But GI wasn’t an innocent person.

Isn’t it 10% are found not guilty? That’s not the same as being innocent.

The cops are policed. Shooting mentally unwell people? That’s a pretty broad statement the bloke in the Lindt cafe wasn’t mentally well should the police not have shot him?

They are accountable, just as GI is going to be.

Pilot house

Juniors
Lol, they completely botched the Lindt cafe.

It was so bad that the army has since been given powers.

You don’t have much experience with cops if you want to write them ‘an open cheque.’

They killed that guy in the city for stealing biscuits, killed that girl at the take away, killed that beach nut....on and on it goes.

1 out of every 10 they arrest are innocent. It should be 1/100.

And if you are a victim, it can be hit and miss with nsw cops. They screw up investigations all the time.

Deaths in custody...

If he didn’t mean to drink drive, he should be let off, but the law is against him on that because the politicians want votes.

Don’t get me started on the geniused speeding regime.

Most ex cops did not the careers they wanted and if you get injured on the job, the force drops you quicker than sams bad old days.

It’s so bad, more cops kill themselves than get killed by criminals.

The whole show needs a serious rethink.

Still my captain.

Last edited:

Latest posts