What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warne v Waugh

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ian Chappell, Clarke and Slater would all support Warne for the wrong and unethical reasons, particularly regarding Waugh, even Gilly

I reckon someone like KOK will stick it up Warne, he will have the balls to do it, may be in jest but will get the point across. Great to have him back, he is a hoot
I remember Ian Horseblanket Chaps wrote an article about Ricky Ponting and why he was the real Ice Man and why he was a better skipper.
Absolutely laughable and pathetic.

Iafeta

Referee
Colin Miller's contribution turned out to be crucial in that deciding 4th test. He was able to hang around batting at no 10. and give Steve Waugh some much needed support in the first innings, scored a vital 43, as well as taking 3 wickets, which is more than the number of wickets Warne took in the first 3 test matches combined!

The vice captain would've turned into the captain of vice!

I remember reading someone on the net a while back there was some controversy over Matt Elliott's omission from the last test, and it wasn't only because of poor form.

This

The grudge began before the 2001 baggy green cap incident at Wimbledon.

It goes back to 1998, a year before Gilly made his test debut, when Gilly was on the verge of replacing Healy as test wicketkeeper (since he was already keeper in ODIs, Gilly was the natural successor for wearing the gloves in tests). Warne always felt his Victorian teammate Darren Berry should've been Healy's successor and in a Sheffield Shield match against Western Australia, both Warne and Berry didn't hold back and sledged Gilly deluxe:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...de1fb9fb1?sv=fc6d3e38833916a3cfd6d39b7415dfa9

Also, Berry was renown for taking potshots at Gilly, often criticising his wicketkeeping skills in his articles and newspaper.

Actually, I found some highlights of that Shield game (although the sledging doesn't appear in it). It was Warne's first match back from major shoulder surgery and he copped a hammering. Western Australia won by 2 runs:

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1998-99/AUS_LOCAL/SS/WA_VIC_SS_13-16NOV1998.html

Warne is king douche.

I wonder if the sledging of Gilchrist stopped after the first innings. Gilchrist made 55 and Berry a well compiled 0.

Berry’s first class average was a gutsy scrappy 21. Lol

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Darren Berry was an excellent gloveman but not up to scratch as a batsman, Gilly set the bar pretty high back then

JJ

Immortal
That Steve Waugh fella went ok on and off the field. Captained Australia, has a great book, successful charity work, dignity, respect. Must really burn eh Shane

mozza91

Coach
That Steve Waugh fella went ok on and off the field. Captained Australia, has a great book, successful charity work, dignity, respect. Must really burn eh Shane
Did Waugh bang a well past her prime Liz Hurley though?

roofromoz

First Grade
Saw that article ParraBoy posted here yesterday, but didn't get the time to reply to it.

Can't believe anyone in their right mind will purchase this book. I wonder what is new in this autobiography from the previous ones from him that's going to get people to want fork out money for this book.

And total BS about him now saying he's not bitter over Steve Waugh for being dropped, but rather because Waugh was jealous over him. About what? If Warne isn't going to be honest about this issue, what makes you think he's going to be honest about his recount over other things in this book? After all, he does have a track record in this regard:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...-over-john-the-bookmaker-20070122-gdpaqq.html

Also, ROFL about him repeatedly bringing up the baggy green cap incident at Wimbledon. Yes, it might be a bit over the top to many, but I can bet you any money if Mark Taylor or his best mate Clarkey made him do it, he would GLADLY do it with no complaints.

The only positive: at least he had the 'honesty' to admit he was a 'dickhead'

I'll purchase the book on the basis that I collect Test player biographies... but I will wait until I can get it for $2 at the local Lifeline book shop.

But dude, seriously... let it go. Apart from the #vicsdoitbetter brigade, nobody cares anymore.

roofromoz

First Grade
Did Waugh bang a well past her prime Liz Hurley though?

No, but he did bang many other English born people over the years.

New Year's Test 2003, for example.

Steve-Waugh-raises-his-bat-after-reaching-29th-Test-ton-%C2%A9-Getty-Images.jpg

TheParraboy

Staff member
Shane Warne, in not so many words proclaims he knows it all about commentating , what a serious dropkick. Having a go at Gilly already

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...ain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Sport_Desktop

Warne also threw some shade at the stars of Channel 10’s popular Big Bash coverage.

“The fact that the rights have gone elsewhere tells us a great deal about how both television and the commercial side of cricket administration have changed, not necessarily for the better,” he wrote.

“I’m interested to see how some guys go commentating on six hours of slow Test cricket, as Big Bash is action-packed and very easy to commentate on.”

roofromoz

First Grade
Shane Warne, in not so many words proclaims he knows it all about commentating , what a serious dropkick. Having a go at Gilly already

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...ain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Sport_Desktop

Warne also threw some shade at the stars of Channel 10’s popular Big Bash coverage.

“The fact that the rights have gone elsewhere tells us a great deal about how both television and the commercial side of cricket administration have changed, not necessarily for the better,” he wrote.

I’m interested to see how some guys go commentating on six hours of slow Test cricket, as Big Bash is action-packed and very easy to commentate on.”

But let's not forget he played a role in this infamous moment:

245E7FF600000578-2893923-Results_are_in_The_debate_resulted_a_poll_about_viewers_favourit-m-10_1420182363982.jpg

Slice of the action! Shane Warne spends five minutes discussing PIZZA and favourite toppings during live cricket broadcast as he discusses his dream of opening a store

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...ne-talks-five-minutes-cricket-commentary.html

PARRA_FAN

Coach
No, but he did bang many other English born people over the years.

New Year's Test 2003, for example.

Steve-Waugh-raises-his-bat-after-reaching-29th-Test-ton-%C2%A9-Getty-Images.jpg

We may have lost the test but still one the greatest test moments.

Interesting I remember a year later Warney's in the commentary box for Waugh's test and saying what a great player he was. Obviously couldnt bag him on air.

I remember Ian Horseblanket Chaps wrote an article about Ricky Ponting and why he was the real Ice Man and why he was a better skipper.
Absolutely laughable and pathetic.

Chappell has given his reasons for not liking Steve its pathetic.

I dont know if Ponting was a better skipper, but he was pretty good.

However I was at the test in Cardiff in 09 and couldnt quite work out why the spinners were being used towards the end. Chappell happened be on BBC radio then and was quiet, trying not be critical against Ponting, whereas others were questioning his captaincy in that test and series.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We may have lost the test but still one the greatest test moments.

Interesting I remember a year later Warney's in the commentary box for Waugh's test and saying what a great player he was. Obviously couldnt bag him on air.

Chappell has given his reasons for not liking Steve its pathetic.

I dont know if Ponting was a better skipper, but he was pretty good.

However I was at the test in Cardiff in 09 and couldnt quite work out why the spinners were being used towards the end. Chappell happened be on BBC radio then and was quiet, trying not be critical against Ponting, whereas others were questioning his captaincy in that test and series.
Ricky Ponting is one of the most overrated captains of all time.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
THIS

Also held a grudge against Waugh for being dropped during the 2001 Ashes. I remember he went on the Andrew Denton show a few years later and rubbished Waugh in a way Ian Chappell would be proud of. His replacement - Justin Langer - scored a century in the final test at The Oval, and although Waugh resigned as a team selector at the end of that series because of the friction dumping Slater caused, Slater never got back into the test side again as the new selectors stuck with the Langer/Hayden opening partnership that was to dominate over the next 6 summers.

Dumping Slater was the correct decision. Irrespective of his messy personal life and how much of a fool he was acting like in the months before and after his removal from the side (Dravid controversy. Also remember him getting up on stage pissed at the 2001 AB Medal???), he was no loss as he was on the way out anyway. Like Warne in the '99 West Indies tour, Slats form didn't warrant selection. Didn't score a century in his final 24 test innings and only scored one fifty in his last 13 innings. Simply not good enough for an opening batsman. Also, his average dropped quite a lot after he was recalled into the side in 1998. When he was dumped the first time in 1996, he was averaging 47.41. When he was recalled 1 1/2yrs later in 1998 to when he got dropped in 2001, it dropped to 42.84, nearly 5 runs.

I think in that same test at Mumbai 2001 Slater dropped a fairly simple catch and S Waugh didnt look too pleased and add to that Slats having a go at Dravid for not walking, that was embarrassing.

You could tell Slater wasnt in a great way and even reading in S Waugh and Ponting's books in that 01 Ashes series how Slater was evetunally dropped. Late for net sessions, missing the team bus, even tried to drive the bus at one stage and almost losing control.

He made a quick 50 that Ashes tour, hitting Gough for 4 fours but that was only highlight of the series.

I remember 2001/02 playing grade cricket he copped a bouncer and even shouted at the cameraman, but I think his domestic form in 02/03 was better, scored a couple of tons and one against the Poms in an One Dayer, NSW Vs England.

I think he still holds a grudge against S Waugh but I dont think its as bad as Warne.

Just after Warne bitched about S Waugh on Im a celebrity, people rang the Big Sports Breakfast attacking Warne's comments, and Slats wasnt taking sides on either but mentioned how S Waugh was a champion cricketer and good captain also understood how tough it would be to make those decisions. He didnt mention 2001 obviously but didnt criticise Waugh.

undertaker

Coach
Given the increasing number of excerpts from the book that have been released in the media, I guess it would be a wise choice to keep the $49.99 to yourself:

Warne's beef with Ponting:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...ky-ponting-decision-bowl-first-edgbaston-2005

Warne's 'famous' night at Trent Bridge, blames Ponting again:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...r/news-story/9f73a14d2725d7e649f2545a52021e94

Anger at Ch7:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...k/news-story/5da2150bd0d5c53266cd94f3c4125847

Infamous News of The World incident:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...s/news-story/d920e08906627646d16b5f878bfcd866