What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

Gronk

Staff member
Harry Potter?
images

Gronk

Staff member
If Potter gets the gig, we will have a former FG coach in the pecking order.

Potter was a victim of Farah etc. IMO he did good things at the Tigers.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone think that its of any benefit to the Eels in hopping into bed with Wenty ?

I think part of our review should address the situation in having the Eels have their own ISP Cup team. Nothing against Wenty but they aint the Eels.

Gronk

Staff member
Does anyone think that its of any benefit to the Eels in hopping into bed with Wenty ?

I think part of our review should address the situation in having the Eels have their own ISP Cup team. Nothing against Wenty but they aint the Eels.
IIRC there are plenty of Wenty players who we dont pay for. So that might be a factor. Agree though. We need to bring our kids in earlier and play them against the men. A policy that seems to have been adopted at the end of the year.

I wonder what Broncos do ? Do they bring their young guns through ISP or straight from NYC ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
One of the things I dont like is our juniors coming up thru Matts, Fleg, Ball, then off to another club then with a bit of luck back to the Eels.

How much of the Wenty staff is actually Eels staff ? Do the Wenty staff coach as directed by Eels head coach/staff ?

emjaycee

Coach
Last i heard one of the things stopping us having our own ISP team was no home ground suitable to play out of.
Moves happening around Kellyville area to resolve this i believe, although only early days.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Even if we don’t get our own ISP, I reckon if Potter gets appointed as coach, he will probably have a bigger role then just Wenty coach and have some involvement within the eels maybe also as an assistant with the NRL side or a player development role.

Considering his experience, he probably wouId have a few opportunities to take a greater role within an NRL club then just a part-time NSW cup coach.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Last i heard one of the things stopping us having our own ISP team was no home ground suitable to play out of.
Moves happening around Kellyville area to resolve this i believe, although only early days.

whats the SP on our "centre of excellence" ? There was talk about the old jail site and now the old sales yards site

would that not be the ideal set up ?

emjaycee

Coach
whats the SP on our "centre of excellence" ? There was talk about the old jail site and now the old sales yards site

would that not be the ideal set up ?

I am not sure how accurate my mail is but I am hearing Kellyville Park is short-listed for CoE and hence ISP home ground. Could be wishful thinking though.

Old Jail Site is out and Old Sales Yard isn't big enough for what is needed.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I am not sure how accurate my mail is but I am hearing Kellyville Park is short-listed for CoE and hence ISP home ground. Could be wishful thinking though.

Old Jail Site is out and Old Sales Yard isn't big enough for what is needed.
They’d want to fix the crater sized divots in those playing fields or we’re going to have a monumental injury list care of broken ankles.

I’ve rolled many an ankle playing touch footy there over the years.

Stagger eel

Staff member
One of the things I dont like is our juniors coming up thru Matts, Fleg, Ball, then off to another club then with a bit of luck back to the Eels.

How much of the Wenty staff is actually Eels staff ? Do the Wenty staff coach as directed by Eels head coach/staff ?

1, the head coach.... the rest of the footballing staff are employed by Wenty I believe...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

If they're contracted to the Eels but playing for Wenty they still do most of their training with the Eels NRL squad. They only do a couple of ballwork sessions with Wenty (most of their players have day jobs), plus game day.

Gronk

Staff member
SEASON REVIEW | Wentworthville Magpies

It was a year full of promise for the Wentworthville Magpies after finishing one place outside the top eight in 2017, but a year of unfulfilled potential would follow after finishing 10th this season.

They enjoyed five wins throughout the opening 10 rounds but their losses within that period proved heavy – a three game losing streak between Rounds 2 and 4 included a 46-0 thumping to Blacktown Workers and 44-4 lost to Wests two weeks later.

But they quickly found some success with four wins in their next five games to move into sixth place on the competition ladder, but couldn't maintain their form through the middle part of the season with six consecutive losses.

They leaked a combined total of 200 points in those six defeats which ended up being 34% of their total points conceded at the end of the regular season (583) – a costly number that ultimately proved influential in their below par season.

image---nrl-photos.-isp-rd7-wentypanthers-2018-10.jpg

Cameron King's experience proved invaluable for the Magpies at the back end of the year.:copyright:NRLPhotos
The Magpies ended their season ion a positive note that will give them a wealth of confidence heading into the new year, grinding their way to three wins in their final four fixtures – all by a margin of just six points or less.

While it was a disappointing year for Nathan Cayless' men, the club will be bolstered by their successful Ron Massey Cup squad who claimed back-to-back premierships and boast and abundance of young talent, such as Player of the Year Beau Henry, that will undoubtedly put them in good stead for 2019.

THE KEY NUMBER

Consistency among the playing squad is key to on-field performance but injuries and a changing roster saw a competition-high 52 players used in their Intrust Super Premiership squad this season.

Changes to their spine saw Bevan French, Jaemon Salmon, Arana Taumata, Dylan Brown, Reed Mahoney, Nathan Milone and Abbas Miski all form combinations at various stages throughout the year, with the unfamiliarity coming to fruition in the latter part of the year.

The side boasted some strong First-Grade experience with the likes of French, Kane Evans and Josh Hoffman playing big roles throughout 2018, but the balance of experience and youth wasn't enough against some of the heavyweight contenders.

But the large number of players reflects a strong depth among the Eels and Magpies ranks, with Miski and Milone prime examples of how some players can seamlessly progress from the Ron Massey Cup into the ISP.

THE RISING STAR
There's no shying away from the fact the Magpies and Parramatta Eels will be looking to move on as quickly as possible from their disappointing 2018 campaigns, but the emergence of five-eighth Jaeman Salmon is one that can't be forgotten quickly.

It capped a remarkable comeback for the 19-year-old after he broke his C1 vertebrae in 2017, with his stellar form in the early rounds of the season too good to ignore.

salmonj_2nh_9752.jpg

Jaeman Salmon was rewarded with a First-Grade debut after a breakout season with the Magpies.:copyright:NRLPhotos
A hat-trick of tries against the Wyong Roos in Round 10, just his second game of ISP, was the start of a stellar season which saw him earn five First-Grade appearances.

The invaluable experience will pay dividends for young star in 2019 as he looks to make a name for himself in the NRL.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT
The chopping of changing of the playing squad can make it difficult to establish combinations and it may have had an influence on their attack at times this year as tey were second last in the competition for tries scored (77).

They did well to manage their injury toll with some character-building efforts in the later stages of the year, however, will be looking to capitalise on their chances more consistently in 2019.

They are certainly no short of attacking flair with the likes of Hoffman and Gregory Leleisalo, but with greater stability among the squad and luck going their way, they will pose as a lethal side with plenty of potential.

HOW IT WILL BE REMEMBERED
It wasn't the year that most expected from the Wentworthville Magpies, but their improved performances at the back end of 2018 will put them in good stead for next season.

The 52 players who managed to play in the Intrust Super Premiership will be better for the experience, and the development of some of the younger athletes will prove instrumental in their quest for finals football.

Change is imminent after coach Nathan Cayless signed a two-year deal with the Warriors for next year, but his influence on the side under his guidance will put the Magpies in the best position possible to challenge for a spot in the top eight.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/Season-Review-Wenty-2018