What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NRL TV Ratings

Starkers

Bench
What about the cash reserves we had end of 2014 after two years of significant surpluses? You remember the $80mill sustainability fund that the CEO and Commission considered vital for the game to have in the bank, and that Todd was very happy to spend in the remaining 3 years? End of 2017 what did we end up with to show for $1.2biillion of TV money, an amount that the game could only have dreamed of back in 1995. No money in the bank, a deficit budget, clubs still broke, no expansion, no assets, static crowds, dwindling grassroots and falling TV audiences. Pretty much fail in every KPI for the game. Lets hope they dont squander this media deal equally poorly.

f**k you are a miserable merkin.

Not all clubs broke: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/15...-clubs-grassroots-after-posting-huge-surplus/

NRL to have money in the bank: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/30/arl-commission-on-track-for-$40m-profit/

Participation is up: https://www.nrl.com/news/2017/09/24/nrl-announces-positive-participation-results/

TV overtakes AFL; is up year on year: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-trumps-afl-in-tv-ratings-war-20180910-p502u1.html

NRL crowds up: https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/summary.html

Expansion is on the agenda and the international game is going really well (intrinsic expansion, not that you would count that).

Assets of the NRL or the governing body have never really existed. The NSWRL owned Philip St and now it has a building at Moore Park.

It is the clubs that have assets e.g. licensed premises. Count all of those up and tell me where that leaves them compared to AFL clubs?

I am not sure if the NRL should have assets? Perhaps. I am of the belief that the governing body should deliver to the clubs and they should distribute to the players, fans and juniors. I know the AFL owns Docklands, that's a pretty good asset. What else do they own? If you put that on the balance sheet up against the Suns, the Lions and the GWS Grants it probably cancels itself out.

The game is in better shape than ever in most areas. It has had a great year in my view. Please, please just f**k off @Perth Red

Now, does anyone have the full season + finals comparison of TV rights? I am keen to see them but have checked that footyindustry guy on twitter and can't find it.

taipan

Referee
What about the cash reserves we had end of 2014 after two years of significant surpluses? You remember the Future fund that the CEO and Commission considered vital for the game to have in the bank, and that Todd was very happy to spend in the remaining 3 years? End of 20-17 what did we end up with to show for over $1biillion of TV money, an amount that the game could only have dreamed of back in 1995. No money in the bank, a deficit budget, clubs still broke, no expansion, no assets, static crowds, dwindling grassroots and falling TV audiences. Pretty much fail in every KPI for the game. Lets hope they dont squander this media deal equally poorly.

Payouts for Smith's expensive consultants,digital.David Smith quits payout, 2015 payouts.Knights ,Titans owned by NRL and funded by them year after year.Money lent to Tigers some still to be repaid,money lent to Dragon expect completion on sale of to Win boss.Staff retrenched at head office ,payouts involving same. Wasteful expenditure by the Banker,in the field of entertainment.
$750,000 spent on SFS early stage investigation, which was not
repayabe if the development went ahead.
Losses on some Internationals here (Campbelltown).These just off my head.

Yeah Smith had money in the bank ,and the grassroots withered, crowds ditto, no expansion either.
And no fail for your whingeing, you're still keeping up the high standard.

While your at it whinger ask yourself why the AFL's foray into NZ, was a fizzer. You conveniently ignore their negatives .No mention of their falling Tv audiences.No mention of their appalling TV ratings in the Nthn States for their expansion teams.,which are costing an arm and a leg to maintain.

You're nothing more than an AFL apologist, who cares about one thing NRL wise ,having his team in the comp, and wouldn't matter if it meant doing away with 6 Sydney teams .Their fans can go and entertain themselves.
You carry on like Buzz in the media, whiners not solvers.The epitome of a whingeing Pom.

I had a close Pommy mate ,who has since gone to the great Corner Store in the sky, he would be plainly embarrassed with your constant whining negativity, always the negatives, ignoring any positive action.This year's figures make most of your comment bollocks.

ram raid

Bench
The AFL is winning the war. Who cares?

Melbourne IS the sporting capital of Australia. They deserve worship for the way they sell out stadiums. Not just for AFL, but anything.

For whatever reason they came up with AFL during their germane years. Now they are stuck with it. They don't advocate AFL because it's better. They advocate it because it's theirs

Victorians will argue thartSt Killda beach is better than Maroubra. Above even AFL is their obsession to be better than Sydney.

insert.pause

First Grade
CEO sets the budget, the commission authorize it.
Grant cashed out the future fund to pay the clubs as part of the new club funding deal, Greenberg actually copped flak from the clubs because he said the game couldn’t afford what Grant had promised them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Payouts for Smith's expensive consultants,digital.David Smith quits payout, 2015 payouts.Knights ,Titans owned by NRL and funded by them year after year.Money lent to Tigers some still to be repaid,money lent to Dragon expect completion on sale of to Win boss.Staff retrenched at head office ,payouts involving same. Wasteful expenditure by the Banker,in the field of entertainment.
$750,000 spent on SFS early stage investigation, which was not
repayabe if the development went ahead.
Losses on some Internationals here (Campbelltown).These just off my head.

Yeah Smith had money in the bank ,and the grassroots withered, crowds ditto, no expansion either.
And no fail for your whingeing, you're still keeping up the high standard.

While your at it whinger ask yourself why the AFL's foray into NZ, was a fizzer. You conveniently ignore their negatives .No mention of their falling Tv audiences.No mention of their appalling TV ratings in the Nthn States for their expansion teams.,which are costing an arm and a leg to maintain.

You're nothing more than an AFL apologist, who cares about one thing NRL wise ,having his team in the comp, and wouldn't matter if it meant doing away with 6 Sydney teams .Their fans can go and entertain themselves.
You carry on like Buzz in the media, whiners not solvers.The epitome of a whingeing Pom.

I had a close Pommy mate ,who has since gone to the great Corner Store in the sky, he would be plainly embarrassed with your constant whining negativity, always the negatives, ignoring any positive action.This year's figures make most of your comment bollocks.

So you agree you were wrong in your comment about the game not having any cash reserves since before the SL war. 2014 we had $80mill cash reserve in the bank. FACT.

Perth Red

Post Whore
f**k you are a miserable merkin.

Not all clubs broke: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/15...-clubs-grassroots-after-posting-huge-surplus/

NRL to have money in the bank: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/30/arl-commission-on-track-for-$40m-profit/

Participation is up: https://www.nrl.com/news/2017/09/24/nrl-announces-positive-participation-results/

TV overtakes AFL; is up year on year: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-trumps-afl-in-tv-ratings-war-20180910-p502u1.html

NRL crowds up: https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/summary.html

Expansion is on the agenda and the international game is going really well (intrinsic expansion, not that you would count that).

Assets of the NRL or the governing body have never really existed. The NSWRL owned Philip St and now it has a building at Moore Park.

It is the clubs that have assets e.g. licensed premises. Count all of those up and tell me where that leaves them compared to AFL clubs?

I am not sure if the NRL should have assets? Perhaps. I am of the belief that the governing body should deliver to the clubs and they should distribute to the players, fans and juniors. I know the AFL owns Docklands, that's a pretty good asset. What else do they own? If you put that on the balance sheet up against the Suns, the Lions and the GWS Grants it probably cancels itself out.

The game is in better shape than ever in most areas. It has had a great year in my view. Please, please just f**k off @Perth Red

Now, does anyone have the full season + finals comparison of TV rights? I am keen to see them but have checked that footyindustry guy on twitter and can't find it.

Not one major target was met in the 2013-2018 strat plan. FACT

Perth Red

Post Whore
We are up this year profit wise, and in many other areas.But,but,,,,,

Seriously mate, you're becoming an Olympic class drone.

I should fricking hope so with a $150mill tv revenue boost! If we ran at a lose this year with the money coming in from the new deal the game really would be in trouble.

tri_colours

Juniors
What about the cash reserves we had end of 2014 after two years of significant surpluses? You remember the $80mill sustainability fund that the CEO and Commission considered vital for the game to have in the bank, and that Todd was very happy to spend in the remaining 3 years? End of 2017 what did we end up with to show for $1.2biillion of TV money, an amount that the game could only have dreamed of back in 1995. No money in the bank, a deficit budget, clubs still broke, no expansion, no assets, static crowds, dwindling grassroots and falling TV audiences. Pretty much fail in every KPI for the game. Lets hope they dont squander this media deal equally poorly.

I think there is every chance that money has gone into investing for the future. They do say you have to spend money to make money. The game does seems to be In a much healthier position nowadays. Peter Beattie put out some figures the other day. A $50m surplus forecast the clubs getting a greater share of the money than ever before and most other things were also on the up. including commercial revenue (18%), more people than ever watching Rugby League, crowds were even up slightly and with the new stadiums and improvement ! expect there will be even further improvement in this area again next year.

Are you related to Paul Kent?

Starkers

Bench
Not one major target was met in the 2013-2018 strat plan. FACT

here's the strategic plan: https://www.nrl.com/news/2012/10/29/nrl-five-year-strategic-plan/

one of the aims was:
• Central revenue will have doubled to more than $300m;

as per the 2017 financials page 57: https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/documents/nrl-annual-report-2017.pdf
broadcast revenue = $206.2m
non-broadcast revenue = $147.9m
i would term that central revenue, which = $354.1m

they haven't reached targets like 400k club members (334k this year) or 20k crowd numbers (16,206 incl finals). some of the other targets are harder to find stats on. but i would think the social media and engagement stuff is close or has been met.

but unless i am missing something they have hit the revenue target and exceeded @Perth Red

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Just a couple of points that I thought I would raise after reading through recent posts:

1. The declining TV ratings is only bad for ch9, 7 and Foxtel not the NRL or AFL. People are still going to watch these sports and therefore will gravitate to whatever platforms replace free-to-air and cable television, most likely streaming services. The sports will still get their money.

2. The AFL have failed at expansion. The lions, giants and suns are of interest to no one and the swans were only able to get a foothold due to the SuperLeage war and still only average 30 - 35k and mediocre TV ratings after nearly 3 decades. There isn't going to be a second war to help the giants, suns and lions replecate this.

taipan

Referee
So you agree you were wrong in your comment about the game not having any cash reserves since before the SL war. 2014 we had $80mill cash reserve in the bank. FACT.

On the contrary I was correct.Sorry to disappoint, and to stroke your ego.
I have stated all along the money the ARL had in the Bank was emptied in 1995/1996.FACT
I have also stated in many posts that whilst Smith had money in the Bank ATT, the grassroots remained neglected, the bush ditto, expansion did not occur, infrastructure did not improve, no money spent on women's rugby league of any consequence. FACT

I'd have decent money in the Bank ,if I didn't commit to buying a home.

But boy did we get some expensive consultants that had to be paid out later, money paid out to Smith ,money spent on setting up digital and the journos, which he was not involved with, the years underpinning NRL clubs with financial issues, the retrenchment of 30 odd people at H/O.FACT

I'm fully aware there was incompetence at H/O under Grant with some money expended but never spelt out where it went.Greenberg has virtually admitted it.

But to assume as you do Smith was some kind of genius because he had money in the Bank, when he neglected many areas, is hollow.He appeared not to understand rugby league club culture and history.He went rogue on TV deals, apparently not understanding the FTA/Pay commercial relationship(loose though it may be).IOW a law unto himself.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
I should fricking hope so with a $150mill tv revenue boost! If we ran at a lose this year with the money coming in from the new deal the game really would be in trouble.

Still whining, suck on another lemon.
If we ran at a loss this year I'd be the first to bag the NRL, particularly Grant's generous NRL club top up.
And Greenberg on half what Smith earned, two clubs sold off, some repayments made by clubs with Loans.It all helps.

Think there is a lot more control over expenditure such as Smith type wastage and benefits from digital, other revenue apart from TV, plus an increase in grants to clubs, and an increase in monies to grassroots including women.Hence the chopping off 30 staff.

And not having to expand ATM.

Yet refs now want decent increase in match payments ,threatening industrial action.

Of course you appear to look at revenue, growth and treat expenditure as if it remained static.

Last edited:

Nerd

Bench

Melbourne IS the sporting capital of Australia. They deserve worship for the way they sell out stadiums. Not just for AFL, but anything.

For whatever reason they came up with AFL during their germane years. Now they are stuck with it. They don't advocate AFL because it's better. They advocate it because it's theirs

Victorians will argue thartSt Killda beach is better than Maroubra. Above even AFL is their obsession to be better than Sydney.
No, AFL is on the wane and dropping viewing numbers are just the first sign.

KokoRugbyLeague

Juniors
I live in Mexico and really hate the game with utter vitriol. If i could teleport to the past and knock the bastards out for inventing such a shit sport. If only they saw the damn light. Preaching to them about Fox league 502 is the only way forward.

No, AFL is on the wane and dropping viewing numbers are just the first sign.
Fumbleball junior playing numbers are dropping alarmingly in real terms.
Don't believe the BS put out by Vicky Kicky house about junior playing numbers. They count all the kids at schools where fumbleball is played whether the kids play fumbleball or not.

twesty

Juniors

if it's simply a Victoria v Sydney thing why is AFL at similar popularity levels in Adelaide and Perth?