What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See ya Slater

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It should have a pile of salt at the bottom for all the "fans" who dont like him because A) Hes a queenslander B) He plays in Melbourne C) He was the best ever.

Or D) because he's a grubby, arrogant, illegal play merchant merkin.

I'll take D, lock it in Eddie.

*DING*

I support Queensland, but still immensely dislike Billy Slater and Cam Smith. Melbourne were likeable until Slater, Smith, Bellamy, Wally Waldrom and co turned them feral. Best ever? Close, but arguable. And as I said previously, JT is the best ever halfback I've seen yet there's no salt involved.

The maths equation of (is a merkin) + (outstanding player) = butthurt if you hate them is a weird one.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I reckon Hollywood Harrigan would have had a few made up for the backyard. Probably some portraits fro the hallway as well.

Seriously though the Vics putting up statutes of RL player is brilliant.
The Vics will change

Valheru

Coach
Would it be a 3 person statue if cronk was still there?

If they are purposely leaving him out it is a bit of sour grapes. He did play over 300 games and was part of the same 2 premierships as the other 2.

No doubt smith has been the most important of the 3 but the other 2 are equal IMO.

Tommy Smith

Referee

If they are purposely leaving him out it is a bit of sour grapes. He did play over 300 games and was part of the same 2 premierships as the other 2.

No doubt smith has been the most important of the 3 but the other 2 are equal IMO.
It's very sour grapes. I think Cronk has played more FG games for the Storm than Slater.

All 3 are the icons of the Storms great era.

So Cronk shouldn't be excluded because he was a Yoda like on field figure in defeating the Storm in a GF.

greenBV4

Bench

If he stayed or retired he probably would, they were the "big 3", but now he isn't a one club player.
I also think Bellamy deserves a statue with them as well

Valheru

Coach
If he stayed or retired he probably would, they were the "big 3", but now he isn't a one club player.

I would agree bellamy should make it a 4 man statue if they are serious.

Yes cronk isn't a one club player now but he still played over 300 games for the storm delivering 2 comps (2 others stripped) and 2 CCMs if memory serves. He will always be remembered as a storm legend.

Tommy Smith

Referee
If Smith signed a 1yr deal with the Roosters (for 250k of course after we release Brock Gray) would that mean he doesn't deserve a statue as he's no longer a one club player?

I think once you play 300 games for a club - something I think only 20 or so players have achieved - then it no longer matters if you then play a season or two elsewhere.

Especially for a genuine legend like Cronk. Besides, let's be honest he's the only one of the three whose class both on and off field is indisputable.

I also agree that Bellamy should get a statue.

Heck, make it a Fab 5 and add George Rose for his legendary stint with the Storm.

greenBV4

Bench
I wasn't disagreeing, I think Cronk deserves a statue along with the others, I just think that is the reasoning

I think he will probably get one anyway, and it'll be a "big 3" statue of the 3 together, they probably didn't want to mention Cronk at the time as he wasn't actually there like the other 2, and we had also just lost to him..

They wont be putting the statue/s up until Smith has retired anyway

First Grade
Look, the love hate relationship between fans will continue forever with Billy. He’s still an all time great of the game.

@Rhyno
We still love him mate hey?
I don't think anything will continue forever about slater he will fade into obscurity because he is a salary cap cheat and a cheap shot merkin

Saxon

Bench
I don't think anything will continue forever about slater he will fade into obscurity because he is a salary cap cheat and a cheap shot merkin
Joey was a druggo but that doesn't seem to have hurt him.
(And half the population of Newcastle will tell you that when he was on the piss he was one of the most unpleasant merkins it would ever be your mis-fortune to meet, but he's still a local hero).

Latest posts