What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis Squad

Matua

Bench
Yep strange captaincy decision and strange that Isaako isn't there. I actually forgot about Tapine, but agree he's another who should be there.

I'm also surprised they're backing Brandon Smith, I assumed they'd go with Nikorima at hooker, but they really don't have any other halves.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Just to add fuel to this stupid debate (that I have been stupidly inflaming)....turns out apparently DWZ is also Tongan?

Leber

Bench
Lol @ DWZ as captain. But tbf, it's a fairly weak team and McGuire doesn't have a load of other options.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Not surprised DWZ selection but I am surprised that he's captain and that he's part Tongan. Surprised Ken got the nod over Issako. Looks like Shaun will do the goal kicking. Good to see Brandon make the team but didn't think he'd be starting. Blairs selection is another surprise.

My team. Kiwis.
1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak. 1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak.
2. Jordan Rapana 2. Ken Maumalo
3. Joseph Manu 3. Esan Marsters
4. Esan Marsters 4. Joseph Manu
5. Jamayne Isaako 5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jahrome Hughes 6. Shaun Johnson
7. Shaun Johnson 7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Jesse Bromwich 8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Kodi Nikorima 9. Brandon Smith
10. Martin Taupau 10. Jared Warea-Hargreaves
11. Joseph Tapine 11. Kevin Proctor
12. Kevin Proctor 12. Issac Liu
13. Isaac Liu 13. James Fisher Harris

14. Brandon Smith 14. Kenny Bromwich
15. James Fisher-Harris. 15. Lesson Ah Mau
16. Leeson Ah Mau 16. Marty Taupau
17. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 17. Adam Blair

shinobi

Juniors
Just to add fuel to this stupid debate (that I have been stupidly inflaming)....turns out apparently DWZ is also Tongan?
Yeah its pretty well knowm but id say he identifies heavily with his maori heritage. Have seen him the last few years out at the maori league tournaments in sydney running water and manning the bbq.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I don't get Tapine being left out

Line him up alongside Blair and K Bromwich and ask the Aussies who they'd rather have coming on after 25mins and he would be the last bloke they'd want to see in attack and defence

Only area Aussies would be worried about the other 2 would be filthy tackles and late hits from Blair

Burns

First Grade
he's injured
Nope; was cleared by doctors and is fine to play.

As an aside, I think this is a strong Kiwi squad. If Australia win by 12+, that will be bitterly disappointing. The Australians have named their weakest squad in probably the last decade (and yes, I know, most of their players have retired).

Walter sobchak

First Grade
If Shaun Johnson fires up then the kiwis should win as like already been stated this is weakened kangaroos side due to the retirements of some legendary pivotal players.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Nope; was cleared by doctors and is fine to play.

As an aside, I think this is a strong Kiwi squad. If Australia win by 12+, that will be bitterly disappointing. The Australians have named their weakest squad in probably the last decade (and yes, I know, most of their players have retired).

I tend to agree with you in parts, especially with the Australia pack and there being a lot to like about the Kiwis

My concerns though are in the spine, DWZ played some games for Penrith at FB but not big experience there, Smith hasn't played a lot of hooker at Melbourne, and the man that needs to lead the team around has a lot of previous form in going missing in big games

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
If Shaun Johnson fires up then the kiwis should win as like already been stated this is weakened kangaroos side due to the retirements of some legendary pivotal players.

Let's not undersell their replacements in the key positions though, Tedesco and Cook destroyed it in Origin this year and the 2 halves are both Premiership winning and Churchill Medal winning players

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Let's not undersell their replacements in the key positions though, Tedesco and Cook destroyed it in Origin this year and the 2 halves are both Premiership winning and Churchill Medal winning players
Nobody’s underselling anybody in the kangaroos side. Just stating facts that the kiwis would rather come up against Tedesco, Cook and DCE rather than fronting up against slater, Thurston and smith.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Yeah its pretty well knowm but id say he identifies heavily with his maori heritage. Have seen him the last few years out at the maori league tournaments in sydney running water and manning the bbq.

With all this talk about heritage and nationality, it's pretty ironic that we've picked a Tongan who grew up in Australia to captain us. Seems like the perfect recipe for disloyalty.

(kidding, kidding)

I'm fascinated by the "Zelezniak" part actually. So his father's father was a Polish guy who went to live in Tonga? Can't say I've heard of that particular scenario before.

Matua

Bench
With all this talk about heritage and nationality, it's pretty ironic that we've picked a Tongan who grew up in Australia to captain us. Seems like the perfect recipe for disloyalty.

(kidding, kidding)

I'm fascinated by the "Zelezniak" part actually. So his father's father was a Polish guy who went to live in Tonga? Can't say I've heard of that particular scenario before.
Crap, now I'm worried he'll ditch us for Poland.

Maybe his Polish ancestor was from the then German area, who rocked up to Samoa when it was a colony and then went to Tonga for some reason?

Here's a link to one of those players voice stories:
https://www.playersvoice.com.au/dal...teve-changed-new-zealand/#UrARh8mAB77Oor3L.97

His kid (bottom photo) definitely has the Polish colouring.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Kenny Bromwich, is there anybody that can explain the fascination with him to me ?

The biggest nothing player that continually gets selected for the Kiwis that I've come across

Yep, Kenny was recruited by the Storm before Jesse was (who had not really considered trialling until Kenny took him down to the club & they saw Jesse's size). Has footwork and more instinctive nous and ball- playing skills than his brother but his size means he's been overshadowed by his brother. Holds no resentment about that.
He's a terrier-like player who rarely makes a mistake. One of those players who, if is in sniff of the try line, will more often than not get over it or die trying. Likes an offload and is good at it. Utility Hinchcliffe-like player & has played for the Storm on the edge, lock and can fill in the front rower & centre if needed.
In spite of common belief its actually taken him a while to break into the Kiwis, named but not always selected.
Deceptively strong and balanced for his size, he has more passion in his play than his brother and imo rather underrated because the Bromwich's are different types of players and get compared.

ozenzud

Juniors
How have the tickets been selling? Doesn't sound like much excitment in Jaffa Country. All the hype around the Tongans

Rich102

Staff member
If the promotion is anything like that for the National Provincial Competition I'm not surprised it's poor.

Latest posts