What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The reason why gambling is truly evil

thorson1987

Coach
Oh and FYI on the "fruit" comments

Beers like 150 Lashes, Kosciusko, Fat Yak etc are fruit driven Pale Ale's
Of all the craft beers available, these are probably my least favourite
It's like drinking a tropical fruit punch, urgh.

But Newtowner, Little Creatures (Pale, Pilsner & Bright Ale), 4 Pines Pale, James Squire (Pilsner, Golden Ale, Hop Thief), Matilda Bay Alpha Pale Ale are all decent, acceptable, flavoursome, largely main stream beers

Rather than offer 8 different types of the same thing (and lets face it CUB chemical spew is the same thing regardless of the label) at least offer one or two alternatives

CUB own Matilda Bay, so throwing on an Alpha Pale Ale and a Fat Yak at the very least would have been a good idea. Yeah one is fruit punch, but some people seem to like that, so cater to the f**kers.

Love the Newtowner. Had it at The Horse on my way to the RLWC games at Allianz last year. So good.

Also tried one of these there another time on my way to the cricket as they had it on tap, and for someone who isn't a fan of dark beers I enjoyed this.

Yullis-Brews-Fat-Nerd-Vanilla-Porter.jpg

If I am drinking beer at my local RSL though I'll go the 150 lashes. Probably the best they have to offer on tap.

Springs09

Juniors
Actually, I wouldn't - I have tried to, but soda water is preferable

On GF day I looked at the taps and asked the staff "excuse me, do you sell beer"
When they pointed at the VB et-al, I merely said, "no, beer.... surely you've heard of it, every other pub in Sydney sells it, why don't you?"

lol, hope they told you to f**k off

Country bartender here, at our pub we have on tap Carlton Draught, Dry, Tooheys Old, XXXX Gold, VB and Great Northern (which sells 2x as much as anything else). A few other common beers in stubbies or cans, but nothing similar to the 'real beer' you guys talk about. Every regular has their one beer they won't drift from and travellers rarely ask for something we don't have, which includes common bears like Pure Blonde or Corona. One guy on Monday night came in and asked about Great Northern then said 'it's always good to try something new'.

Easts Leagues could I guess have drinks that 0.0001% of the population drinks sometimes or they could sell beer that 10% of the population drink every day. I think anyone who even touches the cesspool drink is nuts.

AJB1102

First Grade
Actually, I wouldn't - I have tried to, but soda water is preferable

On GF day I looked at the taps and asked the staff "excuse me, do you sell beer"
When they pointed at the VB et-al, I merely said, "no, beer.... surely you've heard of it, every other pub in Sydney sells it, why don't you?"

So every other pub in Sydney has what you want so rather than go to any other pub you chose to be a pretentious wanker in the only place that doesn't have what you want?

Sounds weird business this beer snobbery.

Zadar

Juniors
It has gone down hill, I am talking from the 80s when it was a destination, you had head line acts who performed there, great restaurants to eat that, even the bistro was good quality, an excellent gym for the time and areas where you could sit talk and relax, movies being shown weekly and a real community feel. However the last 20 years or so it has deteriorated and especially the last 10-15 years the place has stunk, no quality food options, no where to sit and relax, it just one big dark, dank poker machine den.

Used to be a really enjoyable club when we would come up, from about 97-03 seemed to be the best, they had the “shotz” bar upstairs, with pool tables , nightclub, bands. Downstairs had Arties bar, which is now replaced by pokies, you would be able to walk through the upstairs corridor with memorabilia,trophies,photos-now gone.

Politis is looking to redevelop the whole club to keep money coming in for the future, hope they make some part of it feel like a truly roosters club.

In Canberra there are about 4 raiders clubs, but none of them from what I have seen house any raiders memorabilia, so maybe most leagues clubs are pretty much the same.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Remember when pubs and clubs had pool and snooker tables, dart boards, table tennis, live music and a maximum of five beers on tap?

What we have now are pokie dens with a selection of toxic overpriced arty farty craft beers that cater for the limp wristed man bun brigade.

Lambretta

First Grade
Remember when pubs and clubs had pool and snooker tables, dart boards, table tennis, live music and a maximum of five beers on tap?

What we have now are pokie dens with a selection of toxic overpriced arty farty craft beers that cater for the limp wristed man bun brigade.

There isn't a single pub that sells craft beers that doesn't sell Aussie lagers too. If you want VB its everywhere. But a little more choice isn't too much to ask for

I miss pool tables.

Lambretta

First Grade
So every other pub in Sydney has what you want so rather than go to any other pub you chose to be a pretentious wanker in the only place that doesn't have what you want?

Sounds weird business this beer snobbery.

If it wasn't the GF we would have. But we wanted to be among our bretheren in Red, White and Blue

Lambretta

First Grade
lol, hope they told you to f**k off

Country bartender here, at our pub we have on tap Carlton Draught, Dry, Tooheys Old, XXXX Gold, VB and Great Northern (which sells 2x as much as anything else). A few other common beers in stubbies or cans, but nothing similar to the 'real beer' you guys talk about. Every regular has their one beer they won't drift from and travellers rarely ask for something we don't have, which includes common bears like Pure Blonde or Corona. One guy on Monday night came in and asked about Great Northern then said 'it's always good to try something new'.

Easts Leagues could I guess have drinks that 0.0001% of the population drinks sometimes or they could sell beer that 10% of the population drink every day. I think anyone who even touches the cesspool drink is nuts.

They looked at me gormlessly

Glad you agree that anyone who drinks Great Northern is nuts. Though cesspool is a bit harsh. Alcoholic lolly water is closer to the mark. :p

I have been to quite a few Country pubs and I always find something worth drinking

Armidale, Tamworth, Wagga, Wangaratta, Bowral, Port Macquarie, Mudgee. I have had decent beers in all those places. Sure I might have tried a couple of venues but I have never had an issue.

Decent beers are everywhere now. If you seriously think its 0.0001% of the population who drink them, you need to get out more. Get out from behind your bar and experience the World my friend

AJB1102

First Grade
If it wasn't the GF we would have. But we wanted to be among our bretheren in Red, White and Blue

Fair enough, we all make sacrifices on GF day if our mob is there. I drank mid-strength Toohey's and CC and dry at the 2016 GF - I'd have killed for a tinny of VB or anything full strength!

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

Nah. The pokie palaces simply don't attract people who appreciate quality beer.

thorson1987

Coach
Fair enough, we all make sacrifices on GF day if our mob is there. I drank mid-strength Toohey's and CC and dry at the 2016 GF - I'd have killed for a tinny of VB or anything full strength!

Dealt with that shit last year.

Enjoyed being on the full strength CC and Dry at my local RSL for this years.

Remember the 06 Grand Final drinking full strength New from gates open until half time of the main game at $6 a pop. Those were the days.

AJB1102

First Grade
Dealt with that shit last year.

Enjoyed being on the full strength CC and Dry at my local RSL for this years.

Remember the 06 Grand Final drinking full strength New from gates open until half time of the main game at $6 a pop. Those were the days.

I had a hangover without getting drunk and paid a fortune, thats the devils work. Where do they even get mid-strength spirit mixers?

horrie hastings

First Grade
I once ordered a pizza from the Saints Leagues bistro and it was a microwave pizza.

Top that.

The same thing happened to me at Panthers Port Macquarie and it was still half frozen when it was served, I took it back, got my money back and walked out of the place and have never been back.

Latest posts