What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

aqua_duck

Coach
You want to keep players that actually want to stay here. The article says that it only would’ve taken 20-30k to get it over the line. With the amount of cap room we have, just give it to him, he’s been a handy player this year and would be a great depth player for next. F$&:ng player managers do my head in. Always worried about their pockets first
Issue is you set a precedent. Are you then going to give an extra 20-30k to every player that asks for it? The club obviously has a value in mind of what they think Sio is worth and I actually appreciate them sticking to that value and not bending over to player managers as we've done in the past. I mean if Sio was a key player you'd consider your options but he's a depth player in a position where it's been proven that it's very easy to find talent from the lower grades

I'll be disappointed if we let Sio go. He's the sort of player every team needs - committed, consistent and a professional approach.
I reckon he'd get a firsts run next year with the way things go for us. He'd be an asset to reserves.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Agents always have an agenda so I’ll take Ayoub with a few grains of salt on this one. That being said I want to see us keep Sio and if it’s a difference of $20k I would hope we up the offer a little.

We need depth at the moment and I can’t see how letting players like that go (when we could easily keep them) will help, especially when we’re realistically only one or two injuries away from Corey Denniss being in first grade.

Old dog

Juniors
Think Sio had a better season than most thought he might, played plenty of firsts scored tries and had responsibility of kicking goals so based on that we should be retaining him even as a backup who might again play plenty of firsts if injuries occur.
At this stage I am unaware of us having a top line goal kicker so he might be needed.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Why should the club bend over to player managers? May as well get Hagan back running the show if we're going to start doing that again.

Let's be realistic here people. If injuries were kind to us this year, Sio wouldn't have played first grade. Same goes for next year. The club wants to pay reserve grade money for a reserve grade player. No other NRL club would jump at the chance to sign Sio - Ayoub says as much in the article when he says there's two Super League clubs after him - so if Sio wants to stay in Australia and is fair dinkum about staying in Newcastle, he should realise that he'll be a depth player at best and will be paid as such
Yep, dont get the angst of some people. On one hand they complain that we arent a successful club, moaned about our 3 successive wooden spoons, and now we start to act responsibly and manage our cap professionally and they complain and want to pay overs to a second rate winger. every 20K we pay overs to a player is less money we have to be successful.

Sio seems a lovely guy but.....this is a business not a charity and I want a Premiership.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Yep, dont get the angst of some people. On one hand they complain that we arent a successful club, moaned about our 3 successive wooden spoons, and now we start to act responsibly and manage our cap professionally and they complain and want to pay overs to a second rate winger. every 20K we pay overs to a player is less money we have to be successful.

Sio seems a lovely guy but.....this is a business not a charity and I want a Premiership.
^ ^ ^

This

Swarzey

Bench
There are a hundred other Sios out there. Ayoub is complete scum, always has been and always will be; I'd take his disparage of the club with a grain of salt,

Knight Vision

First Grade
I want to see us keep Sio and if it’s a difference of $20k I would hope we up the offer a little.
Didnt I read in a recent article that the Knights felt if they had increased their offer to Boyd Cordner by 20 K he would of stayed ?

If that was indeed the case, would you like the club to increase Sio's offer at the expense of the next Boyd Cordner ?

Woosh

Head Moderator
What an absolute shambles we have become once Mooney left.
If we don’t want to offer Sio an extra 20k just tell him.
This is a very bad look.
I’m so disappointed atm tbh.

Spot On

Coach
Hope you can cope iqaz.

Don't know how anyone can take either side until the numbers are given but I find anything Ayoub says extremely difficult to believe.

You'd have to assume there is some sort of plan here??? Jennings and Mann??

Woosh

Head Moderator
I think the bigger news out all of this is that we might be losing our Corey Oates.
Spot On - thoughts?

Spot On

Coach
Happy to keep both of them if we pay them what they are worth.

Glad we have let go blokes like Gagai who were on extreme overs.

Simples.

Bartwah

Juniors
20k is sweet F.A for a handy back up player that can kick goals. We need more than 17 players. I’d rather have our top 30 filled with experienced blokes that I’d be confident of filling in when the injuries strike. It’s not much, but he was our top try scorer this year, he deserves a bit More respect considering he’d be close to minimum wage now

Woosh

Head Moderator
The next Corey Oates would be worth quite a fair bit on the open market.
The real Corey Oates is fielding offers of $700k +
How much should we be offering our very own Corey Oates?
I would say at least 400k?
Thoughts?

Woosh

Head Moderator
20k is sweet F.A for a handy back up player that can kick goals. We need more than 17 players. I’d rather have our top 30 filled with experienced blokes that I’d be confident of filling in when the injuries strike. It’s not much, but he was our top try scorer this year, he deserves a bit More respect considering he’d be close to minimum wage now

Yeah pretty much this.
He’s not even asking much at all.
I have seen the figures.
It is pathetic truth be told.
He know he won’t be starting next year but he’s willing to stay for depth.
It’s very disappointing look for our club.

Latest posts