What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

Big Pete

Referee
Bennett has basically been sacked this time Pete. No new contract. Pushed out.

Paul White has pulled the trigger at the right time. Legend.

A lot different from the past depatures Bennett has made. This stint at the Broncs has been a poor one. The shoes won't be too hard to fill with the roster locked up and the best crop of forwards in RL history ready to be unleashed on their lowly opposition for years to come though.

Only problem going forward will be how much to cut Milfords contract by when the time comes.

That's tough on Wayne. The Broncos have been more competitive under him than they have been in the past and as you pointed out their future is looking bright.

Bennett's first coaching tenure ended in similar fashion and yet some people were quite happy to blame him for the state of the club.

In that instance, I didn't buy it, but I'm anxious to see if there's any truth to it. Personally I feel Bennett takes on too much of the blame at what happened at St. George Illawarra & Newcastle, but if it happens a couple more times, it will become an undeniable part of his legacy.

Spot On

Coach
Brisbane want to win comps with their advantageous set up Pete.

One in 18 yrs aint good enough. Wayne has had 2/3 of that time there for 1 comp.

More to the point, why has he had such little success in those 12 years at the Broncs post 2000 compared to the glory years pre 2000?

Competitive aint good enough with the leg ups.

BennyV

Referee
Only proper window washers blame Bennett for what happened at Dragons.

Bit more to blame at Newcastle, but there were many other issues with that club.

His second stint at Broncos hasn’t actually been that bad. They were literally seconds from a premiership the year he took over, and for mine he’s done as much, if not more, than any coach could in the last 2 years with that roster.

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane want to win comps with their advantageous set up Pete.

One in 18 yrs aint good enough. Wayne has had 2/3 of that time there for 1 comp.

More to the point, why has he had such little success in those 12 years at the Broncs post 2000 compared to the glory years pre 2000?

Competitive aint good enough with the leg ups.

Which is why they're looking for a new coach, but that doesn't define Bennett's tenure as a failure.

Phil Gould never managed to win a premiership at the Roosters, but I haven't heard one Roosters supporter call him a failure.

Now if the Broncos go the way of teams like the Knights after Bennett departs, it would certainly alter the perception of Bennett's time at the club.

Spot On

Coach

Bit more to blame at Newcastle, but there were many other issues with that club.

His second stint at Broncos hasn’t actually been that bad. They were literally seconds from a premiership the year he took over, and for mine he’s done as much, if not more, than any coach could in the last 2 years with that roster.

With 'that' roster???

What's been wrong with the roster other than the massive f**k up Bennett made with the no 7 jumper?

Plenty of Origin reps and young guns in that roster.

Bronco18

Juniors
With 'that' roster???

What's been wrong with the roster other than the massive f**k up Bennett made with the no 7 jumper?

I feel like the anti-Broncos brigade schizophrenically jump from “shit team, will miss the 8” to “stacked roster” depending on the specifics of the argument.

Tommy Smith

Referee
With 'that' roster???

Agreed.

The Broncos are only a halfback away from being a huge threat year in, year out.

The decision to sign Bird was very bizarre when a half was needed.

But with that absolutely awesome pack of young forwards and some very handy backs Brisbane could well win the comp next year if someone can play halfback.

Gun roster.

mozza91

Coach
I feel like the anti-Broncos brigade schizophrenically jump from “shit team, will miss the 8” to “stacked roster” depending on the specifics of the argument.
I said at the start of the year that it was the weakest Broncos roster I’ve seen but the emergence of some really quality young forwards have proven me wrong.

Bennett has done a very good job with them. If he’d in put half that effort with us we could’ve done something,

King hit

Coach
With the young forward pack which has shown a lot of promise the Broncos will still be a tough team to beat and their future isn't doom and gloom. They really need halves to be a genuine threat. Milford isn't even that good anymore and isn't capable of leading a team to a premiership imo.

Charlie124

First Grade

Tell me more...

axl rose

Bench
Agreed.

The Broncos are only a halfback away from being a huge threat year in, year out.

The decision to sign Bird was very bizarre when a half was needed.

But with that absolutely awesome pack of young forwards and some very handy backs Brisbane could well win the comp next year if someone can play halfback.

Gun roster.
Agree, there is a premiership window coming up for Brisbane. A few of their bogey teams may be rebuilding in the next few years as well.

King hit

Coach
Agree, there is a premiership window coming up for Brisbane. A few of their bogey teams may be rebuilding in the next few years as well.

It's funny hearing about how Broncos fans are worried that they haven't won a premiership for 12 years, there were even comments from Lewis about it. If 12 years without a premiership is the worst thing the Broncos will experience they are lucky.

axl rose

Bench
It's funny hearing about how Broncos fans are worried that they haven't won a premiership for 12 years, there were even comments from Lewis about it. If 12 years without a premiership is the worst thing the Broncos will experience they are lucky.
They are envious/compare themselves to the Storm. That sort of arrogance/aura the Broncos use to have about them has been lost over the years.

BennyV

Referee
With 'that' roster???

Eh...that ‘f**k up’ with the 7 jumper is one that the Broncos were creaming themselves over as soon as Hunt was announced to Dragons.

The forward pack is on the rise but it’s really 2 years away from being dominant in any real, consistent way. You had Lodge and the lesser Sims as 2 key forwards for much of this year. Bennett has played a big part in the young forwards rising up the way they have.

The backline, outside of Oates (and recently Isaako) is a shadow of former Broncos teams. Compared to other backlines in the Top 8, they are nothing special. And the halves combo (which I’m not sure can be attributed to Bennett) probably pinched above their weight.

So to summarise, comparing the other Top 8 teams:
- Forward pack 8th best
- backline 7th best
- halves combo 7-8th

And that’s not accounting for some underachieving/horribly coaches bottom 8 teams.

Bennett did well to get them to 6th.

Spot On

Coach
Milford, Thaiday, Boyd, Oates, Roberts, McGuire, McCullough, Gillett, Bird - all played Origin either this year or last.

A coach with that many rep players, 40K home crowds with the leagues most favourable draw ie lots of big turnarounds from week to week, a ref that they don't lose under at Suncorp being given their home games most of the time and the biggest spend if any football department in the league......

They should be firing like Mlb do each year, making the GF regularly and winning comps.

Finishing 6th aint good enough.

Bennett created the halves pairing he has.