What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

Tommy Smith

Referee
An extra year at Souths for Seibold to work out how to use a bench rotation?
An extra year at Souths for Brisbane to realise that Seibold is a one year wonder who had a fleeting mid year hot streak on the back of quick surrender PTBs and Damien Cook.

If Brisbane dump Bennett for him then they could set themselves back half a decade and waste a golden crop of youngsters.

BennyV

Referee
Milford, Thaiday, Boyd, Oates, Roberts, McGuire, McCullough, Gillett, Bird - all played Origin either this year or last.

A coach with that many rep players, 40K home crowds with the leagues most favourable draw ie lots of big turnarounds from week to week, a ref that they don't lose under at Suncorp being given their home games most of the time and the biggest spend if any football department in the league......

They should be firing like Mlb do each year, making the GF regularly and winning comps.

Finishing 6th aint good enough.

Bennett created the halves pairing he has.
Thaiday and Boyd were picked on loyalty alone, both well below that level. Gillet out for the year. Lol@Bird. McCollough did not deserve the jersey. Oates and Milford, fair enough.

Anyway, agree to disagree. Not the first time Broncos fans turn around with the ‘that guy who’s leaving us is shit anyway’ bit...

Spot On

Coach
Thaiday and Boyd were picked on loyalty alone, both well below that level. Gillet out for the year. Lol@Bird. McCollough did not deserve the jersey. Oates and Milford, fair enough.

Anyway, agree to disagree. Not the first time Broncos fans turn around with the ‘that guy who’s leaving us is shit anyway’ bit...

Loyalty, fairness, injury....

Bennett had 9 players who either played origin this year or last in his squad.

How can anyone claim he didn't have much to work with?

Please.

BennyV

Referee
Loyalty, fairness, injury....

Bennett had 9 players who either played origin this year or last in his squad.

How can anyone claim he didn't have much to work with?

Please.
Fair enough. Some like to judge based on ‘played a rep game’. Others like to judge on actual ability. To each their own.

Spot On

Coach
Fair enough. Some like to judge based on ‘played a rep game’. Others like to judge on actual ability. To each their own.

I agree with this somewhat.... as we all have opinions of players that get a rep jersey that we think possibly shouldn't........ but 9 players in the squad playing at the very highest level in the previous 12 months....

C'mon... bloke had a squad he should have got further than he did.

BennyV

Referee
I agree with this somewhat.... as we all have opinions of players that get a rep jersey that we think possibly shouldn't........ but 9 players in the squad playing at the very highest level in the previous 12 months....

C'mon... bloke had a squad he should have got further than he did.
Not in context. Which of the other Top 8 teams (coaches aside) have a lesser roster than the Broncos? Maybe Sharks? Maybe Dragons when looking solely at the backline?

Spot On

Coach
Which have more Origin reps over the preceding 12 months than the Broncos 9?

Some may have had 5 possibly 6?

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
Milford, Thaiday, Boyd, Oates, Roberts, McGuire, McCullough, Gillett, Bird - all played Origin either this year or last.

A coach with that many rep players, 40K home crowds with the leagues most favourable draw ie lots of big turnarounds from week to week, a ref that they don't lose under at Suncorp being given their home games most of the time and the biggest spend if any football department in the league......

They should be firing like Mlb do each year, making the GF regularly and winning comps.

Finishing 6th aint good enough.

Bennett created the halves pairing he has.

Whilst they technically are rep players would you consider some of those guys to rep standard

Milford isn't a representative quality five eighth. He is to inconsistent and just needs space to be effective
Thiaday is just lols and how he somehow kept getting picked despite doing f**k all
McCullogh is the bradbury of QLD dummy halves
Oates is decent enough I guess but I find him just to much of a rock and diamond to be a star at the next level and would be on the outer with the Maroons now
Some people didn't want Bird to play back in 2017

Boyd, Roberts, McGuire (even though he shouldn't be starting for Australia) and Gillett are rep quality players

Spot On

Coach
You could
make that argument for a lot of teams and players... facts are Brisbane easily had a squad containing more Origin players over the preceding 12 months than any other club.

Tiger5150

Bench

I understand the point you are trying to make, but I feel this list actually proves the opposite, that Bennett is a great coach. In that list of players, IMO none of them are great players and in fact I'd argue that Bennett has turned them into rep level players.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I understand the point you are trying to make, but I feel this list actually proves the opposite, that Bennett is a great coach. In that list of players, IMO none of them are great players and in fact I'd argue that Bennett has turned them into rep level players.
Ergo broncos need more than 9 origin players.

They need the whole team plus interchange like when they used to win.

Spot On

Coach
So you are claiming that Broncos had the best roster in 2018 on that basis? If so, you are just being silly...

Definitely.

No coach in the NRL would want a squad containing 9 players with Origin experience.

FFS. Do you blokes have any idea?

How about you f**k off your origin stars and see how you go next season.