What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUS v NZ @ Mt Smart Stadium // Saturday 13 October - 5:45PM (AEDT) 7:45PM (NZDT)

Matua

Bench
Can't read too much into this. Australia's worst performance for a very long time, and in the last few years they haven't been as dominant as they are at their best like in 2013, and we still only lost by 2. Can absolutely see both these teams losing to Tonga if Tonga play like they did last year.

Hopefully it revitalises NZRL.
Not sure if Tonga would have opened the Kiwis up wide which is where Oz did, and they'd struggle to get over a pack with Bromwich back, Taupau and JWH firing. That Kiwis team last year is not comparable to this lot. This lot have a coach.

stryker

First Grade
You can read a lot into this. In the past this is the sort of match that Australia would have went on and thrashed NZ. Things will be a little different going forward without the usual big names.

Not to say Australia won’t still dominate but it’s certainly a changing of the guard.
Yeah its going to take time. Guys like Cordner and Woods dont have the Queenslanders to carry them. They have to forge their own way. Hunt playing for Australia is insulting. Cook, Lattrell Turbo are very green. I said at the start of the week i thought this was one of the weakest Kangaroo squads id seen in a long time and they played accordingly. Theyll improve with more exposure.

Springs09

Juniors
You can read a lot into this. In the past this is the sort of match that Australia would have went on and thrashed NZ. Things will be a little different going forward without the usual big names.

Not to say Australia won’t still dominate but it’s certainly a changing of the guard.

I'm more talking about NZ. Yeah they won, but it's the worst Australia have played for a very long time, with their captain and better halves out and still only by 2 points. Their defence was still poor especially in the last 5 minutes. And you're right, on that NZ performance the better Australian teams would have won easy.

I can't say the outlook of the England/NZ series changes much after this. But it will be very interesting with both teams including several new players.

Last Week

Bench
Is this the end of the kangaroo dominance? With the end of the golden age of the storm 4 and Thurston has Australia been brought back to the pack?

Yeah, said shit like this after Lockyer, Johns, Fittler Daley, Stuart, Lewis, Kenny, Sterlo etc etc. We'll be fine.

No Maloney, Munster, Keary or Morgan. I'm not stressed.

Springs09

Juniors
Yeah, said shit like this after Lockyer, Johns, Fittler Daley, Stuart, Lewis, Kenny, Sterlo etc etc. We'll be fine.

After 2014-15 it was supposed to the era of Kiwi dominance after their no. 1 ranking, next thing Australia wins 14 straight.

We also had no Ponga who if he continues on his path will be the dominant force in the Australian team.

There should be a few years though before Ponga, Mitchell, Munster etc come into their prime and the next World Cup should be anyones for the taking.

jim_57

Staff member
Kiwis we look forward to a rematch when we pick up a quality half and lock and some experience.

Kiwis hardly had their best 17 on paper either. First choice Fullback/Captain/Dally M Winner missing, first choice hooker missing, Harris & NAS also missing from the forwards. Only a year on from "losing" the best forward in the game and one of the best wingers in the NRL this year.

I think these 2 teams will be fairly closely matched for the next generation.

Keary is the only one among that list I would call a quality organiser. Needs to beef up a bit tho..plus practice his tackling technique.

We saw a handful of outstanding youngsters today in the Junior Kangaroo ranks. Coupla more in the Broncos squad. So imho Aussie rugby league is in good hands.

Help me out here. I saw a good young prospect in last years Aussie Schoolboys.. I think it was. He is a stocky, snowy haired kid.. with a terrific skillset. Forgotten his name for moment. I do recall he had an unusual Christian name. Really impressed me the way he took complete control of the game.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
We saw a handful of outstanding youngsters today in the Junior Kangaroo ranks. Coupla more in the Broncos squad. So imho Aussie rugby league is in good hands.

Help me out here. I saw a good young prospect in last years Aussie Schoolboys.. I think it was. He is a stocky, snowy haired kid.. with a terrific skillset. Forgotten his name for moment. Really impressed me the way he took complete control of the game.

Aiden Tolman

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Smith and manu are genuine stars and future kiwi greats. International games have a bright future, I feel Australia is coming back to the pack.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Well done to the kiwis. Just seen the highlights and we(England) will have our work cut out to beat them. Manu is a freak, really impressed with Liu and Smith could be anything he wants to be. Just a shame that Cameron smith is staying on for another year as this kid needs to be staying #9 for the storm every game.

johnny plath

Juniors
No change to the result but the Manu knock on/not knock on ... DWZ was clearly offside from the kick in the next passage of play, so if the idiots in the bunker managed to stumble past the Manu incident, next play would have been Auz penalty.