What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NRL TV Ratings

The_Wookie

Bench
There you have it from the guru ... NRL up 3.8m ... AFL down 6.2m ... a combined divergence of 10m in favour of the NRL ... AFL made ground up in the finals series but overall NRL wins.

Seems like his finals numbers are still an estimate though?

Not a guru. If you find mistakes let me know.

the Finals numbers themselves arent estimates. Complete data for all segments was reported through various agents including Mediaweek and DeciderTV. Theres a lot of other numbers through the season that had to be estimated for both thef AFL and NRL over the season that werent reported on FTA. These estimates largely agreed with the Roy Masters article from the start of September.

Not a guru. If you find mistakes let me know.

the Finals numbers themselves arent estimates. Complete data for all segments was reported through various agents including Mediaweek and DeciderTV. Theres a lot of other numbers through the season that had to be estimated for both thef AFL and NRL over the season that werent reported on FTA. These estimates largely agreed with the Roy Masters article from the start of September.
And the conclusion is NRL figures are on the rise and AFL figures are dipping.
There was an article out last week saying uncle Rupert paid to much for the AFL and it looks like that now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In your honest opinion do you think uncle Rupert paid overs for the AFL right to spite the NRL?

If it was a one off and if Murdoch wasn’t first and foremost a business man you’d probably be right. But given the historic gap in afl to nfl fox deals and Murdoch caring much more about $’s than face I doubt it. You’d have ask why fox sees afl More valuable than nrl, or why nrl negotiators are worse than afl’s to answer that question. I did notice when I was watching eagles in finals this year that fox shows adverts during afl play unlike nrl, not sure if that makes it more lucrative for them?

Canard

Immortal
Flicking the channels on my Foxtel Go, I note that the AFL was just a simulcast of the Channel 7 feed in some instances.

What's the go with that? Is that different on the normal service? And how does advertising work?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
If it was a one off and if Murdoch wasn’t first and foremost a business man you’d probably be right. But given the historic gap in afl to nfl fox deals and Murdoch caring much more about $’s than face I doubt it. You’d have ask why fox sees afl More valuable than nrl, or why nrl negotiators are worse than afl’s to answer that question. I did notice when I was watching eagles in finals this year that fox shows adverts during afl play unlike nrl, not sure if that makes it more lucrative for them?

Ah hello.....David Gallop....News Ltd lawyer, super league war, recoup outlay, drive down value of NRL through their media eg. the Coffs Harbour incident that NEVER happened....and now comes to light but did MASSIVE damage to the game at the time.

Do I need to go on....vested interest. Funny how when Gallop got the arse suddnely the game is getting it's true value.

Brutus

Referee
Ah hello.....David Gallop....News Ltd lawyer, super league war, recoup outlay, drive down value of NRL through their media eg. the Coffs Harbour incident that NEVER happened....and now comes to light but did MASSIVE damage to the game at the time.

Do I need to go on....vested interest. Funny how when Gallop got the arse suddnely the game is getting it's true value.

Spot on. Great post.

The_Wookie

Bench
Flicking the channels on my Foxtel Go, I note that the AFL was just a simulcast of the Channel 7 feed in some instances.

What's the go with that? Is that different on the normal service? And how does advertising work?

Seven produce Thursday, Friday, Saturday night, Sunday afternoon and public holiday AFL broadcasts - these are simulcast on Fox using Sevens commentary team and footage, but mostly use their own pre show, half time and post show crew.

Likewise where Seven takes a Fox broadcast for use in NSW/QLD/SA/WA to meet local broadcast rules, Seven uses Fox;s coverage and commentary.

Starkers

Bench
748k total across 9 and fox for last night's test match. Think a lack of promotion and a stack of new faces might have had an impact.

Should be interesting to see Tongas number next week.

j5o6hn

Juniors
In my opinion i think it was spite on Murdoch's part.
We know from his past history that he doesn't like it if he doesn't get his own way.
You only have to watch his(Murdoch) papers to see they have very thin skins indeed same as Murdoch to anyone stands up for them selves & defies his holy writ
You only have to look what happens to people who publicity criticize him or something he has a vested interest in his media arm will hound declare war on you the sooner he is in a box the better off we all will be

ram raid

Bench
if it's simply a Victoria v Sydney thing why is AFL at similar popularity levels in Adelaide and Perth?

Those states are all under the influence of Melbourne hegemony. I'm sure if they had the capacity to think about it without tribal bias they would regret it.

AFL sucks, and that is just a fact. It being popular is embarrassing for Australia. The bigger the crowds they get more embarrassing it is.

Latest posts