What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edwards or DWZ for fullback next year

Dwz or Edwards for full back

• DWZ

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Edwards

Votes: 33 67.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fangs

Coach
What would Cleary do WWCD

I think he'd go Edwards. I don't think he'd drop Whare from centre either.

unKwn

Juniors
its hard, but im leaning back towards edwards purely because i dont know how he will go wing, and we havent seen him under a good coach yet. i think they will pick edwards fullback and dwz wing and share the fb role throughout the game.

franklin2323

Immortal
Edwards last year ave 181m per game. DWZ 141m per game.

This year Edwards 138 per game. DWZ 125 per game.

Edwards has more LB,
Tackle Breaks per game.
More total Try Assists then DWZ despite playing around 10 games less over the same time.

Short memories around here. I'd be finding a right winger to move DWZ to right centre as soon as possible

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
It's always weird to me, the claim "he should earn his spot back" when the only thing the player did wrong was that he got a long-term injury. How exactly is he going to earn his spot back when he's going to be played out of position in a spot he is less suited for, and what does he have to do to earn it back when apparently his previous efforts there are no longer good enough? It should be Edwards needs to hold onto his spot - he starts there and then makes sure he plays well enough to stay there.

We should be happy that we have a decent backup fullback for when Edwards is injured again or loses form - but weakening the wing position to allow DWZ to do what he already does from the wing at fullback makes zero sense.

mxlegend99

Referee
Edwards last year ave 181m per game. DWZ 141m per game.

This year Edwards 138 per game. DWZ 125 per game.

Edwards has more LB,
Tackle Breaks per game.
More total Try Assists then DWZ despite playing around 10 games less over the same time.

Short memories around here. I'd be finding a right winger to move DWZ to right centre as soon as possible
Where the hell are your figures from? Nrl.com has different figures. Focusing solely on DWZ in 2018:

Dallin finished 5th overall in kick return metres in 2018. Desite missing a few games early on and the 4 guys ahead of him all being permanent fullbacks. Well except Holmes who played wing in a few games also.

He averaged 146.7m per game with his games at wing lowering that average.

At fullback he made 197m, 163m, 268m, 267m, 128m, 174m, 92m, 133m, 189m and 205m. Thats 1816m in 10 games for an average of 181.6m gained.

Edwards had 2 try assists in 2018. Dallin had 4. Again according to NRL.com, no idea where you got your stats from that pain a completely different picture.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah Ivan was as ignorant as Griffin in regards to
1.DWZ
6. Moylan

Which was very clear to most
To be fair to Ivan.

DWZ only made his debut in 2014 playing 10 games.

In 2015 he started DWZ on the wing. Promoted him to centre for a couple of games and then to fullback after Moyza got injured. 5 games later hes looking great but gets injured also.

Ivan never got to coach either player again with the knowledge learned after seeing DWZ get a few games at centre and then fullback.

DWZ is in the same boat Flash was in bsck in 2010/2011. Too good for wing. Better then our fullback but left on the wing as we dont seem to have a decent winger for him.

Panfa

Juniors
I like edwards hes safe under the high ball and brings the ball back with purpose but his passing game is questionable.I voted dallin for fullback only cause hes last few games of the yr and semi final performances were unbelievable not to mention his captaincy and game for nz the other night.Edwards can slot back onto the wing to start the yr and if dallins form drops he can swap roles but you have to keep dallin there now hes on fire

franklin2323

Immortal
Where the hell are your figures from? Nrl.com has different figures. Focusing solely on DWZ in 2018:

Dallin finished 5th overall in kick return metres in 2018. Desite missing a few games early on and the 4 guys ahead of him all being permanent fullbacks. Well except Holmes who played wing in a few games also.

He averaged 146.7m per game with his games at wing lowering that average.

At fullback he made 197m, 163m, 268m, 267m, 128m, 174m, 92m, 133m, 189m and 205m. Thats 1816m in 10 games for an average of 181.6m gained.

Edwards had 2 try assists in 2018. Dallin had 4. Again according to NRL.com, no idea where you got your stats from that pain a completely different picture.

Fox sports stats. You can average them unlike NRL.

Edwards last year had 5 try assists to Dallin's 2.

Which over the 2 seasons is Edwards 7. DWZ 6.

That same time DWZ has played 44 games. To Edwards 24.

In every stat possible Edwards beats DWZ when it becomes a per game stat.

Run metres for example

DWZ this year 2980 (20 games)
Last year 2576 (24 games)

Works out at 126.27m a game

Edwards last year 2544 (16 games)
This year 1147m (8 games)

Works out at 153.79m a game

Similar situation with line breaks, TB

Try Assists straight up Edwards has one extra despite almost half as many games

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Fox sports stats. You can average them unlike NRL.

Edwards last year had 5 try assists to Dallin's 2.

Which over the 2 seasons is Edwards 7. DWZ 6.

That same time DWZ has played 44 games. To Edwards 24.

In every stat possible Edwards beats DWZ when it becomes a per game stat.
Except he doesnt.

You're comparing the stats for different positions against each other when there's a big enough sample size of them in the same position to compare it fairly. Edwards had 8 games at 1 this year. Dallin had 10. With largely the same players around them. Those are the most relevant and recent games to compare.

Try assists for example are very rare for wingers. Theyre on the end of plays while a fullback is an important part of them. Dallin had 3 in 10 games at fullback. Edwards had 2 in 8 games. Edwards averaged 148m at fullback. Dallin averaged 181m.

Edwards is not better in every stat when you compare them in the same position.

The only reason you should use DWZ stats on the wing is if you want to compare what he offers as a winger vs as a fullback. His wing stats are not relevant to comparing him to Edwards as a fullback. Not when you have data in the ssme position to use.

franklin2323

Immortal
The comparison has many variables. The point is Edwards stats are very good because he got injured shouldn't mean he should use his spot

martielang

Bench
I just don't know what else DWZ adds at fullback other than being a competitor - running & tackling hard etc. He doesn't beat players with footwork or speed, doesn't have much of a passing game either. I don't really remember any line breaks or line break assists he made himself.

I love having a player that gives as much as he does for the jersey, but i personally think it's a no brainer putting Edwards back there. Our balance across the park improves.

TeamSatan

Juniors
Edwards. Better support player and playmaker (though he's not exactly top shelf in that regard). DWZs hard running can be done from the wing easily enough. To turn Edwards into a winger would be a waste of time - we might as well let him leave.

Correctamundo.
Dylans backing up and bursting into space off billy and others is brilliant.
DWZ is going great but is also a great winger.
We need both of them out there.

franklin2323

Immortal
I just don't know what else DWZ adds at fullback other than being a competitor - running & tackling hard etc. He doesn't beat players with footwork or speed, doesn't have much of a passing game either. I don't really remember any line breaks or line break assists he made himself.

I love having a player that gives as much as he does for the jersey, but i personally think it's a no brainer putting Edwards back there. Our balance across the park improves.

Unless it is Luai or someone that can ball play. There is no reason to move Edwards the only thing he did wrong was get injured. DWZ is filling in for the Dally M player of the year right now. Does anyone think RTS shouldn't get his spot back? Edwards has the more upside as far as getting Try assists from back there. DWZ and Edwards both had 2 Line break assists. One played 8 games one played 20 games

Unless it is Luai or someone that can ball play. There is no reason to move Edwards the only thing he did wrong was get injured. DWZ is filling in for the Dally M player of the year right now. Does anyone think RTS shouldn't get his spot back? Edwards has the more upside as far as getting Try assists from back there. DWZ and Edwards both had 2 Line break assists. One played 8 games one played 20 games
His position who knows but DWZ should be captain for the Kiwi side thats for sure

cain3y

Juniors
Put me down for DWZ. Edwards is good but for me I love seeing Dallin run the ball back at pace and catching the ball on the fly. Edwards can bide his time on the wing.

I don’t think Edwards will bide his time, very likely he’d get an offer to play FB from another club. Of course that could happen with DWZ too, but if he’s offered centre that might be enough to keep him happy.