What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fears 2025 RLWC USA may not happen

Perth Red

Post Whore
We have a terrible track record of RL events being at the whim of sports promoters, what are the RLIF thinking?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Re who hosts, I’d like to see majority NZ with png, Fiji and just a couple of games in Brisbane.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
We really need some stability and confidence for this tournament. It wasn't that long ago that it didn't exist. I didn't really agree with the US World Cup to begin with but now that we have announced it we need to try and make it work even if Moore Sports pulls out.

If worse comes to being and it has to be scrapped I would give NZ or France primary hosting rights. A Pacific WC with NZ as primary host would be great. France could do an ok job with some support from nearby countries like UK.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
I really hope they invest in the American market don’t get me wrong, but don’t you think this World Cup is way too early for America ? I mean the domestic league nearly gets 500 people to games, how the hell do they expect to host a successful World Cup ? I’m baffled.

Force

Juniors
I really hope they invest in the American market don’t get me wrong, but don’t you think this World Cup is way too early for America ? I mean the domestic league nearly gets 500 people to games, how the hell do they expect to host a successful World Cup ? I’m baffled.
Agree, I wasnt a keen supporter of the World Cup being held in America nor do I like the idea of it being held in China. People assume a huge population will translate favourably to a huge turn out at the WC but it doesnt work like that. If the sport in said Country doesnt have a large following, you're not going to get big crowds showing up.

Springs09

Juniors
We really need some stability and confidence for this tournament. It wasn't that long ago that it didn't exist. I didn't really agree with the US World Cup to begin with but now that we have announced it we need to try and make it work even if Moore Sports pulls out.

If worse comes to being and it has to be scrapped I would give NZ or France primary hosting rights. A Pacific WC with NZ as primary host would be great. France could do an ok job with some support from nearby countries like UK.

Was the USA ever formally announced as hosts? Weren't they announced as tentative hosts until we were sure it would work there?

We don't need to try and make it work just because. I'd love for the 2025 RLWC to be in the US but if it isn't sustainable then it isn't sustainable.

A Pacific World Cup has merit.

Springs09

Juniors
is there enough/any stadiums in the pacific?

I think a European (mainland) Cup would be great, the game seems to be going great in France and and a lot of other European countries are growing

Yes. Australia and NZ count as 'the Pacific'.

Play majority of the games in NZ and have a few PNG, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands games in their home countries and a few in Australia.

European countries are growing but it doesn't mean they'd suddenly get 10,000 to a rugby league match. We still have a bigger profile in Pacific countries than in most European countries.

The game isn't going great in France, it's going okay. Catalans winning the Challenge Cup is great but it doesn't mean league is suddenly a big sport in France.

greenBV4

Bench
Id love to see games in Fiji, Samoa and cook islands but do they have stadiums? I wouldn't be in a rush to have another world cup in Australia..

Springs09

Juniors
Id love to see games in Fiji, Samoa and cook islands but do they have stadiums? I wouldn't be in a rush to have another world cup in Australia..

Yes and they've played there recently. Australia and PNG played Fiji in that 40-40-40 match in Suva last year and Samoa and Fiji played in Apia a few years back.

The World Cup wouldn't be in Australia. There would be a few games there much like how there were a few games in the UK during the RWC in France 2007.

Say there's 24 group matches - 12 in NZ, 3 in PNG, 2 in Fiji, 2 in Samoa, 2 in Tonga, 2 in Australia, 1 in Cook Islands.

Pommy

Coach
Yes. Australia and NZ count as 'the Pacific'.

Play majority of the games in NZ and have a few PNG, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands games in their home countries and a few in Australia.

European countries are growing but it doesn't mean they'd suddenly get 10,000 to a rugby league match. We still have a bigger profile in Pacific countries than in most European countries.

The game isn't going great in France, it's going okay. Catalans winning the Challenge Cup is great but it doesn't mean league is suddenly a big sport in France.

The Cook Islands has a population of 17,000. What’s the size of their largest stadium? I can’t imagine a World Cup game is going to ever be played there.

Springs09

Juniors
The Cook Islands has a population of 17,000. What’s the size of their largest stadium? I can’t imagine a World Cup game is going to ever be played there.

Yeah it's unlikely that a World Cup game would be played there but we've seen World Cup games in tiny Welsh stadiums before.

I'd rather see 4,000 in the Cook Islands than 4,000 in Cairns.

Pommy

Coach
Yeah it's unlikely that a World Cup game would be played there but we've seen World Cup games in tiny Welsh stadiums before.

I'd rather see 4,000 in the Cook Islands than 4,000 in Cairns.

Didn’t the QLD government pay a nice sum of money for those games to be played in Cairns?
It’s also not like for like with Wales as the transport costs involved would be minimal compared to playing a game in the cooks.

langpark

First Grade
I never believed North America could pull off a viable WC to begin with. I would love to be proven wrong, but even 2025 seems a bit early.

I'd love to see France host one. With Italy and Spain hosting a few matches each too.

jim_57

Staff member
Was the USA ever formally announced as hosts? Weren't they announced as tentative hosts until we were sure it would work there?

We don't need to try and make it work just because. I'd love for the 2025 RLWC to be in the US but if it isn't sustainable then it isn't sustainable.

A Pacific World Cup has merit.

A Pacific World Cup may not be the biggest money spinner but Australia hardly was either from all reports. Even if it makes a meager profit it would be a great sight for the game and something different from Aus, England, repeat.

I'd look at something like:
  • PNG - 3-6 Pool Games, Quarter Final
  • Fiji - 3-4 Pool Games, Quarter Final
  • Tonga - 1 Pool Game
  • Samoa - 1 Pool Game
Then some more "out there" options IF they could be proven viable:
  • Hawaii (USA Game)
  • New Caledonia (France Game)
  • Cook Islands, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu
If it was tactically done you could probably plan it to minimize travel and make it likely no team has to change country more than once depending on the finals draw. I'd like to leave Australia out for a change just for something different but it would probably make sense for them to at least host a couple of games.

Latest posts