What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Das Hassler

Bench
Whoever we get we need to have them WANT to be here for the long haul ( and clearly state it) if they're up to the job. ...the riffraff will probably be looking for a coach by 20 /21 when Guss's 5 year plan needs it's next perception adjustment

Tiger05

First Grade
Just get Toovey.. he is ready now.
I was impressed with a coment he made the other day about Manly, along the lines that the facilities arent good over there .

Toovey has said that he would consider taking over the reins, and that the argument of not enough resources doesn’t wash.

‘People make clubs, not resources’

Thats the sort of attitude thats needed here , not the soft sooky " we dont have bs"

The facilities crap doesn't wash with me either. It reminds of Braith complaining about not getting gatorade.

macnaz

Staff member
The facilities crap doesn't wash with me either. It reminds of Braith complaining about not getting gatorade.
I remember reading an article a while back and it was some sports professor or something and he did a study on teams winning .. the breakdown on facilities was something like 5 or 10 % to the overall formula of success.
I wish i could find it again

BrotherJim05

Bench
If the club goes with Wayne as next coach and starting 2020.. Who takes the reigns for 2019? Hodgo or one of Wayne's assistants he'd most likely bring with him?

Officially: We will keep Cleary until 2020 when Wayne takes over

Strategically: Make insane demands for Penrith to take Cleary early (cash + players), watch Penrith implode then eventually give in to our demands for a mid-season transfer. Let some fall guy take the reigns for the remainder of 2019 season and clear out any required space for players Bennett wants to bring with him

I remember reading an article a while back and it was some sports professor or something and he did a study on teams winning .. the breakdown on facilities was something like 5 or 10 % to the overall formula of success.
I wish i could find it again

I'd wager the facilities were worse in 2005 than they are now. Still won a premiership.

Altitude chambers and new gym equipment don't guarantee that your team turns up with the right attitude on the day.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Strategically: Make insane demands for Penrith to take Cleary early (cash + players), watch Penrith implode then eventually give in to our demands for a mid-season transfer. Let some fall guy take the reigns for the remainder of 2019 season and clear out any required space for players Bennett wants to bring with him

Panthers I believe will just wait W/T out. I think it will be more of sit back and watch W/T implode.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I don't think you guys will be prepared to wait it out. Ciraldo is not ready, and Gould will not take responsibility.

I tend to think differently. This bloke is having a study tour over in the US. You don't do things like that with folks whom you think aren't ready. Cameron took the team within a point of a final too.

These are my thoughts. Ivan will come home, welcomed with open arms anytime between 2019 -2021.

Cameron back to assistant.

Then in time Gould will semi retire and just do the recruiting and some PR work, Ivan will go into Gould's role of managing the cap and Cameron will then become the head coach.

I tend to think differently. This bloke is having a study tour over in the US. You don't do things like that with folks whom you think aren't ready. Cameron took the team within a point of a final too.

These are my thoughts. Ivan will come home, welcomed with open arms anytime between 2019 -2021.

Cameron back to assistant.

Then in time Gould will semi retire and just do the recruiting and some PR work, Ivan will go into Gould's role of managing the cap and Cameron will then become the head coach.

He inherited a side coming fifth, I would think that making it to the second week of the finals would be a minimum expectation. Griffin was not sacked without having already spoken with Cleary. Gus likely knew that as soon as Ivan made his want to coach at Penrith clear with the Wests hierarchy that his position was more or less untenable at Concord.

I'm not a mental who thinks we'll get players out of Penrith, as if Gus will trade a player for a coach and as if players will willingly leave Penrith for the Tigers when the Panthers are well ahead of us, but I do think that they will not risk a premiership window waiting for Ivan to get there. Ciraldo might be a coach of the future, but he's not a proven coach now and Gus won't burn two years waiting for Ivan.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
He inherited a side coming fifth, I would think that making it to the second week of the finals would be a minimum expectation. Griffin was not sacked without having already spoken with Cleary. Gus likely knew that as soon as Ivan made his want to coach at Penrith clear with the Wests hierarchy that his position was more or less untenable at Concord.

I'm not a mental who thinks we'll get players out of Penrith, as if Gus will trade a player for a coach and as if players will willingly leave Penrith for the Tigers when the Panthers are well ahead of us, but I do think that they will not risk a premiership window waiting for Ivan to get there. Ciraldo might be a coach of the future, but he's not a proven coach now and Gus won't burn two years waiting for Ivan.

I think you could be quite right. None of us know what has occured behind closed doors. Although I will say that Hook was a crash just waiting to happen. Most of the worthwhile stuff in the team was being done by the likes of Ciraldo. (I understand this from souces close to the club).

The sacking of Hook also happened because he had become increasingly unwilling to allow the assistant coaches to do their work. When Phillips the ex ref left that was because Hook wasn't allowing him to do his work. That was in breach (I understand) of his contract upgrade at the end of the year before. I think these were factors too.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Now whether Gus is willing to do the same as in the finals for this year. Who knows. I think Ivan will walk early. Probably before Christmas.

Now whether Gus is willing to do the same as in the finals for this year. Who knows. I think Ivan will walk early. Probably before Christmas.

I agree on that. I simply cannot see Cleary starting pre-season with the Tigers. I reckon there is some serious wheeling and dealing with Wests and whomever the potential successor is to ensure they are there for week 1 of pre-season.

innsaneink

Referee
I really liked Toovey as a player despite him being a sea eagle, tough little inspirational bugger.

But I see a lot of Sticky Stuart in him, he can find an excuse and a whinge when it doesnt go his way, dont think thats really what we need...we need strong leadership from the top

Tiger05

First Grade
Point 2, is my only slight worry with Bennett.

I have that as a concern plus the fact the Broncos clearly don't want him. I'd like to know why he is on the nose at the Broncos.

Still he has been very successful and you'd hope he would bring a player or two here as well.

Mario chalmers

Juniors

I hope that we are putting pressure on Gus to either a) release players to us or b) subsidise Bennett's contract.

On his 6 tackles podcast, Gould said repeatedly that "I don't believe Wayne Bennett will be at that Broncos in 2019."

He wouldn't have said that multiple times unless he had some info about what was going on up there.

With a bit of luck he's helping the Tigers get Wayne in the hope that we release Ivan to Penrith. In response to Cleary criticism the other day on Twitter, Gus' response was that the 'true story' would come out soon

super_coach

First Grade
My bet right from day one Gould Cleary Pascoe and the odd coach plus management have been trying to find a exit plan for Ivan. All this business of playing hardball I think was just some token offering to the punters to keep face.

The NRL has always been “I will scratch your back if you scratch mine”. Anyway, talk of a board meeting tonight so we might be closer to getting it sorted

Latest posts