What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUS v TONGA @ Mt Smart Stadium // Saturday 20 October - 5:45PM (AEDT) 7:45PM (NZDT)

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
f31ebdcc-afc4-4b34-b68d-d733609d2bdf_1477008643.jpeg

versus​

1534017749562.jpg

at

mt-smart-stadium-800.jpg

Saturday 5:30pm - 8:15pm AEDT on GEM

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Tonga's best hope, as was seen with the Kiwis and mentionned by J Johns, is by doing the unexpected. Jungleball if you will. Australia should still win, but it will hopefully be a cracker.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Tonga's best hope, as was seen with the Kiwis and mentionned by J Johns, is by doing the unexpected. Jungleball if you will. Australia should still win, but it will hopefully be a cracker.
This. I just wish England would do this more rather than the usual one out rugby and then panick offloads and throwing the ball around when behind.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Most of the tongan players havent played in weeks....several have been on holidays....i can see them running out of puff and Australia to run away with it. Sadly Tonga have the forwards but the halves will crumble under the Australian pressure.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Most of the tongan players havent played in weeks....several have been on holidays....i can see them running out of puff and Australia to run away with it. Sadly Tonga have the forwards but the halves will crumble under the Australian pressure.
This. Emotion and heart will only get you so far. As long as they don’t disgrace themselves which I don’t think they will it’s all good. Aussie by 14.

Burns

First Grade
Thanks for making the Thread @miguel de cervantes! Im away from decent internet access til Friday, so really appreciate this kickstarting discussion.

So, can we compare the Samoa v Australia match from the 2014 Four Nations? At that time, Samoa looked like becoming a proper powerhouse. They had nearly beaten England and led New Zealand into the final minutes that tournament.

Australia beat Samoa 44-18. The score blew out in the final five minutes due to two quick Australian scores, and it was as close as 10-6 after 25min.
Highlights:
I think the Tongan team is much better than that Samoan team, and the current Australia team is much worse than that old Australian team.

What does this mean?

I think Australia should win, but the margin may not be greater than 12.

Oh, and how good will the crowd be?

LineBall

Juniors
How long has it been since Australia has lost consecutive Tests? Would have to be back in the 1970’s surely.

deluded pom?

Coach
2015. Kiwis won the 2014 four nations final and then won the 2015 trans tasman test.

Consecutive losses to two separate nations fellow anoraks?
Same question was asked on TRL. I think the response was the early 70s. A loss to GB followed by a loss to France IIRC.

Springs09

Juniors
2015. Kiwis won the 2014 four nations final and then won the 2015 trans tasman test.

Consecutive losses to two separate nations fellow anoraks?

1970 World Cup lost to Great Britain and France consecutively.

Despite the poor showing Australia can't really make any changes. Keary will most likely still be out if they follow concussion rules.

1. Tedesco
2. Gagai
3. T. Trbojevic
4. Mitchell
5. Holmes
6. Cherry-Evans
7. Hunt
8. Klemmer
9. Cook
10. Campbell-Gillard
11. Frizell
12. Cordner
13. J. Trbojevic

14. Peachey
15. McGuire
16. Kaufusi
17. McLean

Force

Juniors
Yeah he doesnt have a lot of choices so the team will look more or less the same apart of RCG who should've played last week.

latingringo101

Juniors
Australia will be battle hardened for their clash against Tonga. Why Tonga didn't play against a small club or residents team to get their team ready is confusing.

I reckon it'll be at 12 point victory for the Kangaroos

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
Tonga has a crazy big forward pack, bigger than NZ's. Thats their shot at beating the Aussies, actually at the moment thats how NZ and England can beat Aus. Aus has such skill and speed that they can score amazing tries from anywhere but while they have a strong forward pack it is still the place where other teams can have it over the Aussies. More and more it seems this is going to be Aus biggest struggle.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Tonga has a crazy big forward pack, bigger than NZ's. Thats their shot at beating the Aussies, actually at the moment thats how NZ and England can beat Aus. Aus has such skill and speed that they can score amazing tries from anywhere but while they have a strong forward pack it is still the place where other teams can have it over the Aussies. More and more it seems this is going to be Aus biggest struggle.

This is why Tonga will probably match them for 60 minutes, even outscore them, but Australia should be easily able to run around the edges towards the end like they did to NZ.