What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

WT2K

Juniors
coming from one of a few reliable posters on the other wt forum -

Michael Maguire is in the box seat for 2019 only thing that will change that is if In the next 24-36hrs Bennett changed his mind & quits Brisbane.
Also Luke Brooks will re-sign for a further 3 years.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
coming from one of a few reliable posters on the other wt forum -

Michael Maguire is in the box seat for 2019 only thing that will change that is if In the next 24-36hrs Bennett changed his mind & quits Brisbane.
Also Luke Brooks will re-sign for a further 3 years.

I'm really disappointed. I think Maguire is an upgrade on Cleary but I don't know how much he'd be able to turn things around in 2019. The roster on paper is pretty poor and inferior to 2018 IMO

If Bennett is at least considering an offer this means there is a still a chance he will come.

Smellmyfinger

Juniors
I'm really disappointed. I think Maguire is an upgrade on Cleary but I don't know how much he'd be able to turn things around in 2019. The roster on paper is pretty poor and inferior to 2018 IMO

If Bennett is at least considering an offer this means there is a still a chance he will come.

How is the 2019 roster inferior to 2018? Who have we lost, Kev, Sue? Yet gained Farah, Mbye (who weren't there most of 2018), Matterson and Momirovski. Across 25 rounds, 2019 is slightly stronger then 2018. Still need at least 2 starting quality players to come in though.

super_coach

First Grade

Our roster as it stands now is probably a little better than our team we trotted out this year. It also has to be remembered teams like Parra, Cowboys a nd Dogs have improved their squads substantially.
Anyway our recruitment is not done yet at least two slots and maybe a couple more if we can offload a couple of players

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I think it all comes down to what Seibold does. If he signs with Brisbane south's will release him straight away. Brisbane will then pay out Bennett & he'll come straight to us. If he doesn't sign Bennett will stay with Brisbane for 2019 & we'll sign Maguire. I think Seibold to Brisbane is going to happen as he's knocked back multiple approaches to extend his deal with south's. So now it's just a waiting game.

gordsy

Juniors
Two points with signing Bennett. If he wanted to be a gm of football at the Broncos after 2020 does that mean he would want more than a two year deal ? We really need a long term coach for some stability. From memory this would be our 5th coach in the past 8 years.
And if Bennett doesn't take a new gig in 2019 what spots are open for 2020 ?
Interesting times ahead

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm happy with Maguire coming and Brooks re-signing. I'd love to see an official release from the club on both fronts.

As for our team. Our spine round 1 last year was Tui, Godinet, Brooks and Benji. I figure this year it's going to be Mbye, Liddle, Reynolds and Brooks. That is a massive up-grade. We also have bought Matterson who should be able to fill our right edge forward extremely well and that has been a problem for us for most of last season.

I think a couple of signings to add to the squad over this year or next and we can improve.

super_coach

First Grade
Said it before, Uncle Wayne is a top coach and probably still has some pull power, but he is also a walking sideshow and I am not sure we need the attention. Madge is ready to go, he is the hard uncompromising sort of coach that probably suits our needs.

Any coach is only as good as the cattle he has at his disposal so both Madge and Bennett will struggle till they can introduce some real talent. Anyway if it was my call I think I would choose the under dog in Maguire

Bennett is the ultimate goal, but Madge would not have to be sneezed at. The bloke has won a premiership and overall has been relatively successful despite his last two years at Souths being less than great. Players will want to play under a coach whom has won a premiership.

Melbourne, Easts, Broncos, Sharks, Cowboys.

Underlying theme of these clubs are that they have coaches whom have won premierships. The first three have a culture of sustained success. Players will go to a club that have a premiership winning coach. Madge will attract players, maybe not to the calibre of the aforementioned, but we'll have a lot more luck in bringing players to the club than a Cleary, Taylor or Potter.

If Hasler goes back to Manly, watch how much success they have in the player market.

One quality I like about Madge is that he is not afraid to flog the f**k out of the players. Our guys need a hard off-season. If they whinge about it stand them down or pension them off. They are high performance athletes, it's their job.

macnaz

Staff member
I live in the Hunter and saw how Bennett ripped the guts out of community involvement, and junior pathways. It was he (not Tinkler who did this). Tinkler just didn't pay his bills.
Cool. Ill let the club know Alice in Tigertown strongly advises against signing him.
Thanks for that , we would have been up shit creek otherwise.
If we can help Penrith with advice on MR 48% give us a yell.

I'm a fan of Maguire. The bonus is we don't need to rely on the merry go round to spin our way and he can be signed immediately.

Things ended bad at south's but he's said in interviews he learned from that experience. Like any very good coach would.

You'd expect then he knows when to flog players and when to give them a breather. Exactly what we need.

Tiger5150

Bench
I'm a fan of Maguire. The bonus is we don't need to rely on the merry go round to spin our way and he can be signed immediately.

Things ended bad at south's but he's said in interviews he learned from that experience. Like any very good coach would.

You'd expect then he knows when to flog players and when to give them a breather. Exactly what we need.

How do we know he can be signed immediately? He has applied for the Broncos job and has been interviewed. Maybe we are not the only ones who could pick and choose? Maybe he would rather coach Brisbane than us? Hard to believe I know.

Das Hassler

Bench
Good thing is they both have something to prove /disprove. ...perception of Bennet's Knights adventure and Maquire that his premiership wasn't a fluke.... WT will become adult under either of them

Shredder

Juniors
Ive wanted Mcguire from day one and he is still my preference over Bennett.

1. McGuire has a point to prove
2. McGuire brings starch to forwards and defence
3. Bennett (in my view) has underperformed as coach of the Broncos
4. Bennett is 70-odd.

Latest posts