What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 overrated players of all time?

gUt

Coach
For me it's right up there alongside the likes of Smith 2017, Thurston 2015, Slater and Locky's best work, Joey and Freddy early 2000s, Taumalolo's Dally M season, Boyd Cordner in 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 and 2018; and even the legendary Sam Kasiano season of 2012.

Then he invented birthday parties and hung the moon.

Love your work

gUt

Coach
Ran a couple of good lines provided by his halves, threw some risky offloads, flopped over for some soft tries, bashed the odd winger.

TheDalek079

Bench
SBW had left the game for five years. everyone thought he'd no longer be a good NRL player, especially in the post Shoulder Charge world. People looked at our 2013 squad, and thought if we played to our potential we'd finish about sixth.

SBW was an absolute beast in 2013. Best player in the competition. Lifted the entire squad from also-rans to premiers.Quite deservedly won the Best Player in the World Award (RLIF).

Its laughable how people rewrite history in their minds to suit their delusions. gut said SBW couldnt tackle, yet it took him about a month to miss his first tackle back in league. Our defence was a key part of our 2013 success, and that was lead by Sonny Bill. AJB...... said SBW wouldn't be any good in a non-shoulder charge league, yet SBW's Roosters brilliance happened after the should charge had been banned. i even remember someone on here describing SBW's 30m charge through the manly defence in the GF as a risky 50-50 play

Tommy Smith

Referee
SBW had left the game for five years. everyone thought he'd no longer be a good NRL player, especially in the post Shoulder Charge world. People looked at our 2013 squad, and thought if we played to our potential we'd finish about sixth.

SBW was an absolute beast in 2013. Best player in the competition. Lifted the entire squad from also-rans to premiers.Quite deservedly won the Best Player in the World Award (RLIF).

Its laughable how people rewrite history in their minds to suit their delusions. gut said SBW couldnt tackle, yet it took him about a month to miss his first tackle back in league. Our defence was a key part of our 2013 success, and that was lead by Sonny Bill. AJB...... said SBW wouldn't be any good in a non-shoulder charge league, yet SBW's Roosters brilliance happened after the should charge had been banned. i even remember someone on here describing SBW's 30m charge through the manly defence in the GF as a risky 50-50 play
Find me a forward with an attacking highlights reel as brilliant and multi faceted as SBWs in 2013 - 20m bullet passes like a 5/8, punching through the line and offloading like only he can, carrying multiple defenders over for tries, busting through defensive lines (in a GF no less), putting blokes through holes with deft hands. The dude filled in at 5/8 vs the Dogs in an Origin rnd and was MotM showing more ball skills than actual 5/8s like Milford or Munster ever have.

And we haven't even talked about the defence. He was a defensive machine on a team that kept 6 clean sheets - the most in 110 years of rugby league history.

It's not hyperbole. The footage speaks for itself. SBW was a f**king God and the best player in the league in 2013 by a mile.

I'd seriously rate his 2013 season up there with 2012 Kasiano and 2014 George Rose when with the Storm. He was THAT good.

Valheru

Coach

Agree with everything except the 6th placed predictions. We were widely expected to finish bottom 4. Then of course by about round 12 we couldn't possibly fit 'that squad' under the cap.

Apart from those 2 plays he made in the 2nd half of the GF that led to the roosters taking the lead and sealing the game.

Also if you look closely at the line breaks which lead to the last two Roosters tries in the 2013 Grand Final, they came about due to missed tackles by one Daly Cherry-Evans.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
A lot of chatter about SBW's 2013 season being the best ever... it's like y'all forgot Jason Bulgarelli's 2003 and Ryan O'Hara's 2005

You are probably too young to remember the Prince Albert Fulivai's magical 1994 season which culminated in being a non playing reserve in the Grand Final winning side and being part of Tonga's winning Pacific Cup team.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Agree with everything except the 6th placed predictions. We were widely expected to finish bottom 4. Then of course by about round 12 we couldn't possibly fit 'that squad' under the cap.

Usual LU logic. The Roosters players are all overrated and crap. Also the Roosters sign all the best players and must be over the cap. To be fair, people like gUt aren't playing with a full deck and they would be the first to admit it.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
My top 5.

Matt Gillett
Gorden Tallis (15 minute Gordy had no stamina and was only good in short bursts)
Greg Inglis (post Melbourne, there is a reason Bellamy let him and not Smith, Cronk or Slater after the salary cap scandal)
Will Chambers
Paul Gallen

Lambretta

First Grade
Ran a couple of good lines provided by his halves, threw some risky offloads, flopped over for some soft tries, bashed the odd winger.

To be fair, if I'd managed as much at park footy level, I'd be claiming GOAT status

First Grade
Find me a forward with an attacking highlights reel as brilliant and multi faceted as SBWs in 2013 - 20m bullet passes like a 5/8, punching through the line and offloading like only he can, carrying multiple defenders over for tries, busting through defensive lines (in a GF no less), putting blokes through holes with deft hands. The dude filled in at 5/8 vs the Dogs in an Origin rnd and was MotM showing more ball skills than actual 5/8s like Milford or Munster ever have.

And we haven't even talked about the defence. He was a defensive machine on a team that kept 6 clean sheets - the most in 110 years of rugby league history.

It's not hyperbole. The footage speaks for itself. SBW was a f**king God and the best player in the league in 2013 by a mile.

I'd seriously rate his 2013 season up there with 2012 Kasiano and 2014 George Rose when with the Storm. He was THAT good.
Joey played a few games at hooker. Joey is the GOAT. Ergo Joey playing as hooker makes Joey the GOAT Forward.

Latest posts