What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What about the time it takes the DH to get into a passing position and actually pass the ball? Plus you’re passing the ball a little backwards, so by the time he actually gets the ball, the defensive line has had time to reset. This isn’t the 1980’s where a 80kg forward could be used as a battering ram. He isn’t a middle forward/lock, so why you trying to justify it?
Because quick players are still useful in the middle against backpedalling forwards, whether it's a halfback or Kaysa Pritchard running at them from first receiver. Plenty of fullbacks sniff around the middle. What's the difference if it's a quick player who's not the fullback?

Chipmunk

Coach
The evidence is in the minutes he's already played. If you want more minutes you just leave him out there longer. He makes more runs and tackles. It's not magic.

Anyway he's played 30+ minutes plenty of times. Like Chrissy Amphlett said, if you've done it once you can do it again.

You obviously only watched him after we'd announced the signing, and last year he only played 30+ minutes twice. I'd say this was more to do with Robinson's desire to develop other players (who would be there in 2018) than with Evans' lack of stamina. There is also the fact that the Roosters use their middle forwards mostly for defence, and so they leave their best defenders out there most of the time. You can hardly criticise Evans for being a worse defender than Napa or JWH. The fact is he just wasn't required to play long minutes last year.

But in previous years he was required to play longer minutes and he did. He played 30+ minutes eighteen times in 2016 and eleven times the year before. In his nine games in 2014 he played over 30 minutes twice (same as last year), including on debut and when he started in the finals.

He even played 30+ in half his games this year. All up he's played 30+ minutes in nearly half of his career games. But you wouldn’t know because you never paid attention until after we signed him.

Everyone already knows he can probably play 30 minutes or so a game, I'd suggest we bought him to be a starting player to play 40 plus per game.

His supposed pay check would indicate that anyway.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Some players go their entire career without ever winning man-of-the-match in an NRL game. Kaysa Pritchard is not one of those players.

His only problem is injury-proneness, not lack of ability.
I totally agree Poo. His issue is his playing style. That being the case.
Why hasnt his style/technique been adjusted? Having Kaysa continue to play as a "kamikaze" is crazy stuff. I fear we may never find out how good he cold be if exposed to better coaching. Unfortunately I believe this is the case with a number of our players and a real fear for the "new breed" coming through. Negative? Yep probably but I just dont see players skills improving under our current coaching team.

Why hasnt his style/technique been adjusted? Having Kaysa continue to play as a "kamikaze" is crazy stuff. I fear we may never find out how good he cold be if exposed to better coaching. Unfortunately I believe this is the case with a number of our players and a real fear for the "new breed" coming through. Negative? Yep probably but I just dont see players skills improving under our current coaching team.

I dunno, someone told me that it was just BA being selfish and getting his players to destroy themselves just to save his job. Can't quite remember who it was? Sitting Bull? Geronimo?

IFR33K

Coach
I dunno, someone told me that it was just BA being selfish and getting his players to destroy themselves just to save his job. Can't quite remember who it was? Sitting Bull? Geronimo?

There’s obviously some Issues with our tackling technique. Kaysa, Mannah, tep and Alvaro seem to get sent to the HIA far too often. Is it coincidence or something we need to work on?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Everyone already knows he can probably play 30 minutes or so a game, I'd suggest we bought him to be a starting player to play 40 plus per game.

His supposed pay check would indicate that anyway.
His paycheck would have matched his expectations, which in an early interview were confirmed to be hoping to become a starting player. I dare say plenty of our forwards were hoping to be starters and only Nathan Brown (and next year, Junior Paulo) would have no need for hoping.

Evans is just part of our crowd of middle forwards who only need to give less than 40 minutes each week.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Because changing his style would negate his strengths. If he injures himself out of rugby league it's because there was no other option for a player like him. He has to do what he does best, which is use his speed and aggression.

Chipmunk

Coach
His paycheck would have matched his expectations, which in an early interview were confirmed to be hoping to become a starting player. I dare say plenty of our forwards were hoping to be starters and only Nathan Brown (and next year, Junior Paulo) would have no need for hoping.

Evans is just part of our crowd of middle forwards who only need to give less than 40 minutes each week.

Yet he's clearly on starting money and hardly even guaranteed part of our Top 17.

The conundrum continues.