What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Carlton

Juniors
I bet you were not positive about Duftys selection from day 1, right? If I went back to 2017 I would find posts from you stating that Dufty wasn't the answer to replace Dugan, right? Wrong?
The 13 tries he scored this year, some of which won us games, wont change your mind right?
Funny how stubborn some people are.

You're right I wasn't keen on Dufty for the fact we had spent to buy a spine then threw in an untried Fullback and after seeing him for a couple of games the previous year it was obvious he had deficiencies. I think Dugan did a lot for us and the things he brought we missed out on with Dufty. We sacrificed metres from the back, solid defence and runs that helped out the forwards to include speed without the physicality. If we were going to improve on Dugan then dont just ignore the things he was good at, find a solution that still offers these things plus speed and 5/8 skills.

Just because I dont think tries scored negates being poor in other areas doesn't make me stubborn.

Carlton

Juniors
Here's the final point from me...Dufty has plenty of upside..yes there are elements to his game that can be improved ( just like any other first grade player ).. This year was his first full season in 1st grade...I.M.H.O he is an exiting prospect.

As a supporter of the Mighty Red V, I want to support the guy ( doesn't mean I don't understand that he has weaknesses ). We have been looking for speed in the backline for years..the highlight reel proves that...Mark my words...when he comes off contract next, there will definitely be other clubs interested in him. I hope we can keep him in the Red V and see him progress as a player.

P.S Where have I been one Sided...I have said all along that there are things he has to work on..you on the other hand give him NO Credit.

I have said all along that Dufty has some great elements to his game but is not a complete fullback and I am willing to eat humble pie if he can address his weaknesses. What I dont like is the idea we should wait for another year to see if our fullback can come up to speed in all areas.

Pilot house

Juniors
He’s just a bit young and all that.

He will ok in 3 years.

Bring him off the bench to relieve Hunt because Hunt just has too many brain snaps.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Every player has faults, some more scrutinized than others.

Dufty has faults, yes he does. Aitken has faults, yes he does. Even going down to Frizell, yes he has faults too!

The problem with Dufty imo, lies not on his defensive positioning, more on his strength and physicality. Yes he has been ragged dolled, but so was Tedesco yesterday, but no real big deal right, because it was Tedesco. He also needs some variation in his attack, like through the middle rather than running around them.
Some say he is dubious under the high ball, and yes he's dropped a few and let some bounce, but I challenge anyone to go out to a park and get someone to kick high balls to you and at the same time have someone going to smash you....not so easy. I have suggested previously, I would send young Dufty and our wingers to some AFL training sessions. Another pre-season and some bulking up may assist his strength, hopefully with compromising speed.

Aitken is another story. Either he isn't listening to his coaches and surviving on a few good moments in games, or they are just ignoring his development. His lack of skills progression is such a worry, it makes you wonder what future lies for him after 3yrs basically doing the same thing. Time in reserve grade, time on the bench, I'm not sure any of that would help him, imo only a new coach can do that for him. The current regime don't seem able to do that. I feel for the lad because he does have talent.

As I said, you can find any amount of fault, or favour, in any player. It's just a shame our coaching staff can't.

epDragon62

First Grade
Dufty is exhilarating at his best and will get better.

With our current coaching regime, I see much more upside in Dufty than Aitken. Given the right coaching, both will be outstanding... we may never see it.

Drag Queen

Bench
You're right I wasn't keen on Dufty for the fact we had spent to buy a spine then threw in an untried Fullback and after seeing him for a couple of games the previous year it was obvious he had deficiencies. I think Dugan did a lot for us and the things he brought we missed out on with Dufty. We sacrificed metres from the back, solid defence and runs that helped out the forwards to include speed without the physicality. If we were going to improve on Dugan then dont just ignore the things he was good at, find a solution that still offers these things plus speed and 5/8 skills.

Just because I dont think tries scored negates being poor in other areas doesn't make me stubborn.
Absolutely not. Watching the Roos and Tonga game I picked Tedesco as MOM He's that good. Do we have that? No we don't. Do we waste a substandard coach bringing him up to NRL level? Not sure. Persevere, I'm not so sure. We're talking about a spine spot here. Simple question is would you trade Dufty for someone better?

Crush

Coach
Absolutely not. Watching the Roos and Tonga game I picked Tedesco as MOM He's that good. Do we have that? No we don't. Do we waste a substandard coach bringing him up to NRL level? Not sure. Persevere, I'm not so sure. We're talking about a spine spot here. Simple question is would you trade Dufty for someone better?
What kind of a question is that? Would you trade Dufty for someone better? Well duh! Yes I would.
Would you trade any player for someone better? You'd be silly not to. After all its a sport and the better the players the more chance of winning?

Drag Queen

Bench
What kind of a question is that? Would you trade Dufty for someone better? Well duh! Yes I would.
Would you trade any player for someone better? You'd be silly not to. After all its a sport and the better the players the more chance of winning?
Thought it was a fairly simple question really, duh.

Last edited:

Drag Queen

Bench
I think it is one of those rare occasions when Crush is thinking like the majority on this forum.
Unlikely Possm.

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
The problem w Dufty at FB is his lack of penetrating kick returns, his fear of the high ball and it’s evident and his predictable chiming into the backline . He’s always going to score 12-14 tries per season as that’s his natural quality but to be a top line full back in the NRL you need to be tough, great defender , offer creativity like a halfback and be able to put ur team on the front foot from kick returns .. he’s not in the top 12 fullbacks in the NRL and that’s a worry for a team trying to win the comp.
Top 13 FB
1. RTS
2. Ponga
3. Tedesco
4. Tommy Turbo
5. Darius Boyd
6. Val Holmes
7. Hayne
8. Dugan
9. Johnston
10. Zelesnjak (Penrith)
11. Mbye
12. Hopoate
13. Barba

Frank Facer

First Grade
The problem w Dufty at FB is his lack of penetrating kick returns, his fear of the high ball and it’s evident and his predictable chiming into the backline . He’s always going to score 12-14 tries per season as that’s his natural quality but to be a top line full back in the NRL you need to be tough, great defender , offer creativity like a halfback and be able to put ur team on the front foot from kick returns .. he’s not in the top 12 fullbacks in the NRL and that’s a worry for a team trying to win the comp.
Top 13 FB
1. RTS
2. Ponga
3. Tedesco
4. Tommy Turbo
5. Darius Boyd
6. Val Holmes
7. Hayne
8. Dugan
9. Johnston
10. Zelesnjak (Penrith)
11. Mbye
12. Hopoate
13. Barba
Regarding you list. I would have Dufty ahead of any of your picks from 8 down. Barba is the only one that I would consider ahead of Dufty from 8 down. Hayne has failed to reproduce his form prior to going to the US to play gridiron. He couldn't even hold down the fullback spot for Parra last year and was less than ordinary at the Gold Coast.

I would take Dufty over Dugan at fullback any day of the week. I doubt that Dugan will be playing fullback on a regular basis for any NRL club in the future. I think there would be a lot more interest in Dufty than Dugan at fullback from other NRL clubs.

I would also take Dufty over Boyd.

My list of the best fullbacks would be

1 Ponga
2 Tom Turbo
3 Tedesco
4 RTS
5 Holmes
6 Dufty

Ponga will be playing 5/8 this year.

If Munster was included in the list, then he would be in the top 4, possibly number 2.

mickeylane

Bench
Regarding you list. I would have Dufty ahead of any of your picks from 8 down. Barba is the only one that I would consider ahead of Dufty from 8 down. Hayne has failed to reproduce his form prior to going to the US to play gridiron. He couldn't even hold down the fullback spot for Parra last year and was less than ordinary at the Gold Coast.

I would take Dufty over Dugan at fullback any day of the week. I doubt that Dugan will be playing fullback on a regular basis for any NRL club in the future. I think there would be a lot more interest in Dufty than Dugan at fullback from other NRL clubs.

I would also take Dufty over Boyd.

My list of the best fullbacks would be

1 Ponga
2 Tom Turbo
3 Tedesco
4 RTS
5 Holmes
6 Dufty

Ponga will be playing 5/8 this year.

If Munster was included in the list, then he would be in the top 4, possibly number 2.
I’m not going to argue with you because your too bias for your own good!
Dufty couldn’t wipe the boots of
Darius
Hayne
Dugan
Barba
Johnston
We are in trouble at no. 1 face it - he’s a good young player but not a custodian that’s needed by a leading NRL team to win a Comp - good coaches would pull his many weaknesses apart ...

Frank Facer

First Grade
I’m not going to argue with you because your too bias for your own good!
Dufty couldn’t wipe the boots of
Darius
Hayne
Dugan
Barba
Johnston
We are in trouble at no. 1 face it - he’s a good young player but not a custodian that’s needed by a leading NRL team to win a Comp - good coaches would pull his many weaknesses apart ...
Boyd is one of the most overrated players ever. He dogs it. The only thing that he really does well is chime in to the backline and ball play.

Hayne's best days are a thing of the past. If he could recapture his form prior to going the US, then I would obviously rate him higher than Dufty, but he is yet to recapture that kind of form. His form has been pretty poor since returning from the US.

Dugan is too slow and cumbersome for a fullback. He lacks any passing game what so ever. He provides almost zero try assists. He scores very few tries himself. At fullback, Dugan handicaps a teams attack. I would take Dufty over Dugan any day of the week. How many other NRL clubs were interested in signing Dugan to play fullback?

Johnson lol. When I first read Johnson on your list, I thought Johnson? What, is he talking about Shaun Johnson? Then I realised you were talking about Alex Johnson. lol Alex Johnson shouldn't even be playing fullback in an NRL team. Dufty shits on him. I actually thought that Johnson would make a good fullback, in his debut year, but I was wrong. lol

2019 will be a very important season for Dufty.

If he manages to bulk up a bit more, improve his strength whilst maintaining his speed he stands a strong chance of playing FG long term.

Has to improve his defence, general positioning and fielding the high ball.

He is acutely aware that he needs to improve.

At the moment we don't have a ready option, hence the reason why Hayne appeals to a number of forum members.

Mann was never given a serious chance to make the full back position his. Field and Lomax are no more ready than Dufty to play Full Back, though Lomax appears to be very safe under the high ball.

the Full Back position is yours if you play consistently and improve your key deficiencies.

Drag Queen

Bench
Top 13 FB
1. RTS
2. Ponga
3. Tedesco
4. Tommy Turbo
5. Darius Boyd
6. Val Holmes
7. Hayne
8. Dugan
9. Johnston
10. Zelesnjak (Penrith)
11. Mbye