What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 NRL Draw

mxlegend99

Referee
Knights fans are aware that this is only round 1? Or do you think you'll be playing at 6pm Friday every f**king round?
Yeah I dont understand the complaining. Someone had to play at 6pm Friday. Until the draw is released and we see if they got this fixture more than other teams they can't really know they're being punished for having good crowds in that slot.

Peet

Juniors
It appears that the NRL will continue with 2 Friday night fixtures which includes the early match starting at 6pm. It has been stated that the clubs (along with other interests) were consulted about the draw. But I would be very surprised to think that clubs agreed to the 6pm Friday kick-off due to the very poor crowds these regularly pull. Everyone's thoughts on this?

Valheru

Coach
According to the player survey earlier this year, it is the players favourite slot if you can believe that.

unforgiven

Bench
It appears that the NRL will continue with 2 Friday night fixtures which includes the early match starting at 6pm. It has been stated that the clubs (along with other interests) were consulted about the draw. But I would be very surprised to think that clubs agreed to the 6pm Friday kick-off due to the very poor crowds these regularly pull. Everyone's thoughts on this?
It is included in the broadcast deal, the consultation wouldn't have changed the time slots. The club consultation would have been about when and who each team plays

It is included in the broadcast deal, the consultation wouldn't have changed the time slots. The club consultation would have been about when and who each team plays

That's my take as well. The time slots are covered by the broadcast agreement and thanks to Fox Sports and then the weak willed people at the NRL who signed off on their proposal (i.e. John Grant) we are all stuck with it. The NRL always consults with the clubs and often asks them for a set number of "blockbuster" matchups they would prefer as home games during the season, which they then try and build into the draw.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's in the broadcast deal. Aside from the bye-shortened rounds, it ain't changing.

grozzy

Juniors
As a Sharks fan, I'm a bit disappointed with the Newcastle timeslot. For the last few years I've enjoyed the train trip up to watch the Sunday afternoon game, along with a decent number of other Sharks fans. You can't tell me this timeslot doesn't affect the crowd size.

Pommy

Coach
Oh wow. Starts on the 14th? I was assuming it would start the week earlier. Sweeeeeet, means i can go to download now.

Go to download anyway, the prince hasn’t got much longer left.

Roosters/souths, penrith/parra and to a lesser extent storm/broncos are wasted in round 1. They would draw just as well in round 4 or 5.

Wasted on a Friday at 8pm, 2016 it was a Sunday arvo and had a great crowd from memory.
Friday nights at the SCG is getting nobody excited, round 1 or not.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Yeah I dont understand the complaining. Someone had to play at 6pm Friday. Until the draw is released and we see if they got this fixture more than other teams they can't really know they're being punished for having good crowds in that slot.

Tigers started the season on Monday night 3 years in a row (09-11). It is shit but certainly not the end of the world. Get better on the field and you’ll get the better time slots

macavity

Referee
Knights fans are aware that this is only round 1? Or do you think you'll be playing at 6pm Friday every f**king round?

We got shafted last year and Greenburg came out and said we should get more
Friday 6pm games because they “work in Newcastle”

So yeah, I’m sure this will be our only one for the year.

Timmah

Staff member
As a Sharks fan, I'm a bit disappointed with the Newcastle timeslot. For the last few years I've enjoyed the train trip up to watch the Sunday afternoon game, along with a decent number of other Sharks fans. You can't tell me this timeslot doesn't affect the crowd size.
Means you've been lucky enough the last few years.

The timeslot does suck but someone's gotta do it. I'm sure there'll be plenty of other good games to attend.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
We got shafted last year and Greenburg came out and said we should get more
Friday 6pm games because they “work in Newcastle”

So yeah, I’m sure this will be our only one for the year.
It's just a conspiracy against Newcastle. Meanwhile, 8 other teams have to wait until round 2 (if they're lucky) to see their team play at home.

grozzy

Juniors
Means you've been lucky enough the last few years.

The timeslot does suck but someone's gotta do it. I'm sure there'll be plenty of other good games to attend.
The NRL just need to recognise that opposition fans are more likely to attend afternoon games.
If for example the Knights hosted the Cowboys on a Sunday afternoon, that would be a wasted opportunity. They should try to have most of their afternoon games against Sydney teams.

mozza91

Coach
At least we get our annual home hammering to Cronulla out of the way as soon as possible.

Timmah

Staff member
The NRL just need to recognise that opposition fans are more likely to attend afternoon games.
If for example the Knights hosted the Cowboys on a Sunday afternoon, that would be a wasted opportunity. They should try to have most of their afternoon games against Sydney teams.
I'm not sure catering every piece of scheduling to away fans is how the NRL should operate the draw. And by that I'm not saying it shouldn't be made convenient where possible, but not every team can play in an ideal timeslot against a particular opposition.

Particularly when only 2 to 3 games per round are playing in the afternoon anyway.

Timmah

Staff member
Oh wow. Starts on the 14th? I was assuming it would start the week earlier. Sweeeeeet, means i can go to download now.
I thought so too but it looks like the season start is actually governed by when the Grand Final sits - with the October long weekend switching back a week next season (first Mon in Oct being the 7th after it was the 1st this year), everything comes back one week.

The only difference in terms of the season structure I can see is that the rep weekend remains where it is, which means it will occur a week earlier than last year in order of rounds played. Last year it was after Round 15, this year I think it will now sit after Round 14.