What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Drag Queen

Bench
Not a bad audit Mickey but I would have
2019 will be a very important season for Dufty.

If he manages to bulk up a bit more, improve his strength whilst maintaining his speed he stands a strong chance of playing FG long term.

Has to improve his defence, general positioning and fielding the high ball.

He is acutely aware that he needs to improve.

At the moment we don't have a ready option, hence the reason why Hayne appeals to a number of forum members.

Mann was never given a serious chance to make the full back position his. Field and Lomax are no more ready than Dufty to play Full Back, though Lomax appears to be very safe under the high ball.

the Full Back position is yours if you play consistently and improve your key deficiencies.
I tend to agree with some of your points. Mann got dropped after a couple of games at FB. Dropped the high ball etc. Everyone was up in arms against him from the start. Sad, considering that he was dropped immediately to ISP. I'll never get over that decision.

possm

Coach
If Dufty was on the market today, which Clubs do you believe would compete for his signature and then play him at fullback in their first grade side? I doubt even the bottom 3 teams would make a move to sign him. Now you have your answer.

getsmarty

Immortal
If Dufty was on the market today, which Clubs do you believe would compete for his signature and then play him at fullback in their first grade side? I doubt even the bottom 3 teams would make a move to sign him. Now you have your answer.

Incorrect..when we last extended him other clubs were interested...

JDHD

Juniors

Half the comp would be crawling all over themselves to get Duff’s signature

Drag Queen

Bench
Incorrect..when we last extended him other clubs were interested...
I have no problem giving him another year. My main problem is other teams sorted him out immediately, which I predicted. If he went to another club I cannot see him in their starting 13. Fair?

Drag Queen

Bench
This off season with bellamy and I reckon he'd have him in first grade next year....he's got a bigger problem trying to sort munster the monster out
I highly doubt he is on Bellamy's radar at all. As for Munster, I think they will persevere with him. He's an instinctive player, but erratic at times. (Understatement) +++.

rasaint

Juniors
This was an interesting read and Matt Dufty certainly polarises opinion more than most.

Matt is a very exciting player. He went through a bad patch about 3/4 of the way through the season and seemed to be down on confidence. His defence is good but not great. All fullbacks miss a few tackles and playing 23 NRL games that’s understandable. Other than missing that winger from Bulldogs when he let the bloke go and thought he could reel him in during the end of that dreadful drubbing we copped; nothing in particular comes to mind as a bad miss. I do recall some very good open play one on one tackles effected by Dufty.

Yes, I would prefer if possible to have Teddy, Roger TS or Slater or Munster. Other than that there Is pros and cons line balling the rest of Mickeys list. I am a big Barba fan however he is off to the Cows. I could never get too excited with Duges at the back. He ran hard and hit the Dragons scene with promise in his fabulous 1st game against bottom placed eels, but thereafter settled into a quite slow but OK fullback without the prodigious capacity of his young Canberra years.

Salary cap space is a problem when we talk of players. I am told that Matt D is on $230K concluding 2019 which if true is good value for him. Means we can keep the FIzzell, Simms Vaughan WIddop etc at the club. I think he will go well next year.

Blimey. We massively overachieved to get top eight and win a semi final. Our threequarter line comprised planks and pensioners, we had Mann coming off the bench as a power forward and we were coached by an idiot. You can't under estimate the difference Dufty made to our offence. We haven't had a player who could score the tries he scored against the Scum at Scum Park or against Canberra to win the game since Soward and Dufty does it more often. He's shaky under the high ball. You don't want to leave him one on one against a player with 40-50 kilos on him. A proper coach would game plan for that and turn him into a 16 try a season fullback who takes 1-2 defenders out of the play on every backline sweep.

He's not our problem. He's the opposite.

Latest posts