What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your five most underrated players of the NRL era (1998-2018)

This is a difficult task. But I consider the following players were heavily underrated because they were from the northern hemisphere:

1. Remi Casty - Sydney Roosters (2018 Challenge Cup winning captain, NRL 2 try scorer)
2. Benjamin Garcia - Penrith Panthers (2018 Challenge Cup winning second rower)
3. Sam Tomkins - NZ Warriors (2018 Super League Grand Final winner)
4. Joe Burgess - Sydney Roosters, South Sydney Rabbitohs (multiple try scorer for Sydney Roosters, South Sydney, and Wigan)
5. Tony Gigot - Cronulla Sharks (2018 Challenge Cup winning full back and Lance Todd trophy winner)

This is a difficult task. But I consider the following players were heavily underrated because they were from the northern hemisphere:

1. Remi Casty - Sydney Roosters (2018 Challenge Cup winning captain, NRL 2 try scorer)
2. Benjamin Garcia - Penrith Panthers (2018 Challenge Cup winning second rower)
3. Sam Tomkins - NZ Warriors (2018 Super League Grand Final winner)
4. Joe Burgess - Sydney Roosters, South Sydney Rabbitohs (multiple try scorer for Sydney Roosters, South Sydney, and Wigan)
5. Tony Gigot - Cronulla Sharks (2018 Challenge Cup winning full back and Lance Todd trophy winner)

This looks like the best list offered so far. These are players who have come from the northern hemisphere to the NRL with a good reputation, and subsequently left the NRL and made an even better reputation for themselves back in the northern hemisphere.

For example Remi Casty, after an oustanding year for the Catalans, made the 2018 Super League Dream Team.

Fangs

Coach
The most underrated players of all. The super subs:

Dean Widders
Rod Jensen
Greg Eastwood
Sid Domic
Craig Wing

Nathan Blacklock.

He was never even given a NSW jersey. Top try scorer 2 years in a row.

Blacklock was good, just not great. I mean how many players who have finished as top try scorer didn't earn representative honours? Quite a few I dare say. Blacklock was an "old school" winger in that he was more of a finisher, and when he was at the height of his talents was at the time when the role of winger was changing due to guys like Sailor and Tuqiri where wingers were expected to be more than finishers.