What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade Ivan to Penrith for 2019

Pilot house

Juniors
I want to make one thing clear, I do not care what your opinion of me is. Now I am ending this.

Thank goodness folks.

She came here to snipe at me and now is on her way.

And that’s how to handle trolls or stalkers of whatever etc.

“Kill “em with kindness” I say.

Strange person, but deep down I’d say she’s ok and I quite like her.

Last edited:

Pilot house

Juniors
Just on the legal, I am told it would be better for the club if ivan resigns or just quits instead of being sacked for fear to the club of an unfair dismissal action.

Sounds crazy when gus wants to “get a room” with him... But better safe than sorry.

It’s not the tigers fault the club dislikes him.

If he lets the club down and breaches his contract ( walks out) he’s probably personally liable for cash damages and imho getting a new coach at a moments notice with staff and all the rest would easily run into 6 figures. That is not to mention another 6 figures of investment in players etc on his advice.

The panthers might bail or help him out cash wise, but this could get seriously ugly. He won’t want to be buying things he doesn’t need.

So the tigers have to keep their composure atm force him into a decision.

They will probably reach a settlement but it’s in the clubs interests to keep him dancing with a rose in his mouth before the trapdoor opens and he parachutes into domestic violence stadium.

I can say that without fear of reprisal from panther fans as I live up the road.

No one does flanelette and uggs better than me!

I know a couple of the “close to insiders” in Pantheria, rest assured Tiger buddies, they are (secretly) not so happy with Gus atm.

Last edited:

stamford

Juniors
They will probably reach a settlement but it’s in the clubs interests to keep him dancing with a rose in his mouth before the trapdoor opens and he parachutes into domestic violence stadium.
i just LOLd and beer went everywhere...……...

Das Hassler

Bench
Just on the legal, I am told it would be better for the club if ivan resigns or just quits instead of being sacked for fear to the club of an unfair dismissal action.

Sounds crazy when gus wants to “get a room” with him... But better safe than sorry.

It’s not the tigers fault the club dislikes him.

If he lets the club down and breaches his contract ( walks out) he’s probably personally liable for cash damages and imho getting a new coach at a moments notice with staff and all the rest would easily run into 6 figures. That is not to mention another 6 figures of investment in players etc on his advice.

The panthers might bail or help him out cash wise, but this could get seriously ugly. He won’t want to be buying things he doesn’t need.

So the tigers have to keep their composure atm force him into a decision.

I can say that without fear of reprisal from panther fans as I live up the road.

No one does flanelette and uggs better than me!

I know a couple of the “close to insiders” in Pantheria, rest assured Tiger buddies, they are (secretly) not so happy with Gus atm.

Yep..couple of old mountainmen tell me they're not all feeling warm n fuzzy about Modern Family down by the riverside....they have to prepare for the Mullett Cup to kick their season off so the handwringing over dad's arrival will start shortly

Pilot house

Juniors
Legally speaking, are we able to demote Clearly to Assistant Coach?

Sign Madge, demote Cleary, wait for him to ask for release, deny the release, wait for cheque from Panthers, release Cleary

I think that would depend on the language in his contract, but I hear ya lol.

His duties would be outlined therein and he has contracted to perform them.

I suspect there would be some general clauses about him conducting himself in the clubs best interests and I’m not sure that engaging in covert discussions about leaving the club so he could could coach his son, would be consistent with this requirement.

He might argue that the clause is not designed for that but is drafted to prohibit him from turning drunk up to a sponsorship event -pissed and stoned off his head -spending the night trying to chat up a bar stool or a cigarette machine.

If I could just digress for a moment, such latter antics are just about expected out here in penrith or its a bad nite.

Out here in Pantheria, when police are attending a domestic violence incident, quite often the locals ( male and female) gather around in protest outside to complain that the “dogs” are stealing our heritage.

This of course leads to the odd riot where we can bring our young for the important panther initiation ceremonies.

The first kid to break off a cop cars mirror is often made prefect or school captain in the rare moment that she gets her knuckle dusters through the metal detectors at the front gate.

Sadly, most of the kids out here have heard about the harbour -but have never actually seen it.

When they see it on tv ( ie if a ferry has run aground) your typical 10 year old will say:

“Hey dad, that big rivery thing full of sea water looks ok, what frigging country is that?!”

“Don’t worry about it son, now go and fetch mums .22 from the pantry, dads going up the mountains to try to catch the panther again.

Oh and sonny, you be getting old dad a cold lager as well, and ffs don’t drink it all like last time.”

Certainly ivan’s drunken bar stool love interest would be much more interesting than some of the panther trolls we used to get here!

Last edited:
Good riddance I say,I’m just glad this saga is over,everyone can now move on including Ivan who comes out of this looking like an ungrateful modern day Judas.

Pilot house

Juniors
Well the 2019 tigers will be building but Madge has to deliver some love at some point so I think he will be bringing in big lads just for the year to hold the fort.

He’s a big homework coach, very analytical.

He won’t be fine tuning ivan’s work, he will be looking at what and who worked and what didn’t.

The first month or so will be spent doing a review and he will have the lads in general fitness assessments, cardio and strength before tailoring their individual plans once the health guys have reported back.

He will also use the time to meet each player to get a feel for their circumstances and interests.

I don’t think he will roll out a grand 2019 plan until January. He won’t be unrealistic, but he will be devastated if they play worse next year than this one. Even if they don’t win, they need to improve.

Madge knows his poms pretty well and I predict a few imports this year.

He likes throwing some big boys into the attack so he will acquire a few of these. They are pretty much designed to punish defenders, not paid to think. He’s moved on from that as his only game plan and he’s shut down Australia with a second tier nz side. So a bit of the magic remains.

I think he could probably coax a few out of retirement with bench roles perhaps

He will use the preseason to learn a few things about different players.

So It’s all quite promising and he will bring the secrets of winning a recent premiership with him.

To be honest, it is an upgrade on ivan. Maybe not today’s model, but a smoother and more refined engine.

Last edited:
Being picky you could say it is an improvement, as one coach has actually won an NRL title while the other hasn’t.
When the WT did sign Ivan one Riff supporter mentioned on our forum,that while he was a good coach, that not to expect to much in attack,turns out that comment was very true,it will be interesting to see how Madge goes, as the Rabbits were very ordinary in attack in his final season there before improving this season significantly with a similar roster.

OldPanther

Coach
Well that was a terrible few pages.

On the topic. I'm happy to see that you guys get a good coach after all this. Honestly hope your team keeps improving.

As far as us getting Ivan I see it as correcting the massive mistake of sacking him in the first place.

Anyways good luck in 2019.

Last edited:

Pilot house

Juniors
Well that was a strange read for the last few pages.

Why were chocolate soldiers on here allowed to sledge Tigers fans?

I think the mods ie @macnaz like the banter...well to a point anyway!

Plus is gives us the opportunity to defend the realm and unload.

It’s been fun shooting at them..as they try have tried to climb the fence.

stryker

First Grade
Thank god this has been settled. So sick of idiots with "inside info" spreading mistruths through out this whole saga.
I was happy enough with Ivan. He didnt improve the side too much though. Im happy with Madge. He'll sort the bludgers out. We'll still be a mid to bottom ranked team in '19 as we dont have the cattle and the merry go round will continue. Only a scandal will stop the chooks going back to back anyway so get on them.

Pilot house

Juniors
Well I thought it was Bennett, then I had the family contacts -who “madged” and then I lost the faith in Madging just before he was announced. So I had a fair run at it.

I don’t agree rusty bought the premiership.

You can still crash fast cars...

You can still fek up a good squad.

stryker

First Grade
Well I thought it was Bennett, then I had the family contacts -who “madged” and then I lost the faith in Madging just before he was announced. So I had a fair run at it.

I don’t agree rusty bought the premiership.

You can still crash fast cars...

You can still fek up a good squad.
Well he did neither. He built a big powerful squad who won the premiership.

Gee IC is in denial,he actually thinks he has done nothing wrong on his part by signing a contract with the Riff,while his contract still had two years to run at the WT.
While technically he may have done nothing wrong or broken any law,his actions were underhanded and unethical, which made his position at the WT untenable,giving the club virtually no choice but to release him to the Riff.Its interesting now the NRL wants to stamp this out and prevent it happening again.
Well played to Gus and Ivan,you both got what you wanted,but no matter what spin you put on this situation,you two merkins did wrong by the WT and deserve each other.

super_coach

First Grade
The Penrith spin doctors are frantically trying to save a terminal reputation, but have Buckley’s. I am afraid Ivan could go and work with the orphans in a Indian slum and still have his reputation down around his ankles. The damage is done and for a guy who sold himself on the Mr Nice Guy image, it may come back to bite him. Of course not in the back pocket, but as you progress through life you start to work out that money doesn’t buy you happiness