What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

TruSaint

Referee
Didn’t Slater debut as a centre?

Wing then second game in 2003, fullback. A stint then in centre, then back to FB. ... below

So played most of his debut season at 1.

Slater commenced playing for the Melbourne Storm in 2003. In Round 1 of the 2003 NRL season, Slater made his first grade NRL debut for the Melbourne Storm against the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks at Remondis Stadium. Slater started on the wing and scored a try in Melbourne’s 36-32 win after overcoming a 22-0 deficit early in the first half.[6] In Slater’s next match in Round 2 against the Penrith Panthers, Slater played his first match for the Storm at fullback, scoring 2 tries in the Storm's 42-16 win at Olympic Park.[7] From Rounds 4-8, Slater played in the centre position before moving back to fullback in Round 10 against the Brisbane Broncos in the Storms 36-16 loss at Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre.[8] Slater played the rest of the year at fullback. After a stellar début season saw him crowned Dally M Rookie of the Year (although the awards that year were cancelled in protest). Slater was the Storm's highest try scorer in the 2003 NRL season with 19 tries in their 26 matches.[9]

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

I'm of the opinion that Lomax's speed is right up there with the rest but cannot find and data to prove or disprove it.
Last try vs Brisbane in the semi final.

Why didn’t lomax run away with the ball and score himself?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
My memory is fine Muzby. I didn't say that he debuted at centre, I said that was the first position I remember seeing him play. lol
How silly of me.. I thought you were contributing to the discussion of where he debuted..

But clearly it was just another Frank story about Frank..

Carry on..

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Yeah, the comparison is wrong.

Slater started representing State in 2004 ( age 21 ), and COUNTRY in 2008 at age 25.

His first year in grade was 2003 , 1 year before he made the SOO side.

I am all for giving Matt Dufty a fair go, but to suggest he is ahead of Slater at the same stage is farcical.

From 2004-2018, Slater played for Qld.. Thats from 21 years of age until his retirement.

Matt "may" make it as a good FB, time will tell. I have my doubts but will be happy to be wrong.. Comparing him to Slater NOW ... lol

Souce

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Slater
Jack Bird at 21 played for his state his country and won a premiership but he had to leave mary and his merry cohorts to do it.

Drag Queen

Bench
Jack Bird at 21 played for his state his country and won a premiership but he had to leave mary and his merry cohorts to do it.
Fair point. Jack also suffers from rheumatoid arthritis which is a chronic illness. I have a feeling that his footy career may be over. Happy to be proved wrong though.

JDHD

Juniors
No they wouldn't mate. I can't see any team with a more deficient FB tbh. He'd need a massive improvement in his game before that happens. .

You don’t think any coach would back themselves to fix his defensive issues?

Drag Queen

Bench
You must be a very happy person.
F*ck off Frank. Perfectly happy.
Maybe JDHD. He hasn't received the best coaching with us and that is a no-brainer. Whether another team would take him on is purely conjecture. I can't see it

Crush

Coach
A couple of seasons back the hot topic on this forum was we need speed! We need someone that can run the length of the field to score a try!
Then Dufty comes along and starts scoring tries with blistering speed. Length of the field tries, unstoppable.
Now the forum is saying we need a more complete fullback. A big bloke that can tackle on his own line and run the ball out of our end.
FFS, Dufty is a lightning rod. He is a speedster with footwork, passing skills and he is a footballer.
He isn't the best fullback in the comp at the moment but he is ours and he's a gem.
I'd be gutted if he left our club, Im stoked we have a little rocket at the back who can score tries from anywhere.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A couple of seasons back the hot topic on this forum was we need speed! We need someone that can run the length of the field to score a try!
Then Dufty comes along and starts scoring tries with blistering speed. Length of the field tries, unstoppable.
Now the forum is saying we need a more complete fullback. A big bloke that can tackle on his own line and run the ball out of our end.
FFS, Dufty is a lightning rod. He is a speedster with footwork, passing skills and he is a footballer.
He isn't the best fullback in the comp at the moment but he is ours and he's a gem.
I'd be gutted if he left our club, Im stoked we have a little rocket at the back who can score tries from anywhere.

A lot less than a couple of season I think Crush.

Many people wrote about having speed and most didn't even give 2 hoots about defense, just speed, speed and more speed.
Now we have it, and its not enough.

Some wanted James Roberts, speed for sure (but defense worse than Dufty), sign him up we need speed.
What about The Fox, super speed, unwanted by both Cronulla and the Tigers, and very suspect in defense, but has speed, speed and more speed. Yep sign him up, worry about defense later.
Even Tedseco is suspect in defense with poor reads and has a few heartlidge moments.
Ponga is probably is probably one of the most gifted footballers around but again suspect in defense, but that's ok because its Ponga and that doesn't matter.

Dufty does have his faults for sure, but so does everyone else I've mentioned. Obviously this dinner party has had its full of the speed factor and now looking to regurgitate on anything unsavoury about any player just so they can keep feeding on something.

If we do recruit someone to play fullback, I hope they have all the necessary requirements this forum wants. But I highly doubt it.

Frank Facer

First Grade
F*ck off Frank. Perfectly happy.

Maybe JDHD. He hasn't received the best coaching with us and that is a no-brainer. Whether another team would take him on is purely conjecture. I can't see it
What drugs are you on to be perfectly happy? I can not recall ever meeting anyone who was perfectly happy. lol