What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do You Believe That We Need One More First Grade Prop?

possm

Coach
I agree with those who say Lawrie stood up in those last two games against the Broncos and Souths. That's exactly what we need and should expect from our fringe first graders!

The main reason I say we need an extra first grade prop is because we work our props very hard early in the season and really need to rest them from time to time to avoid fatigue/injury. What we do not want is for the replacement prop to be sub-standard and thus put even more pressure on our regular first grade props.

In my opinion Lawrie has the ability now however, the question is will he show this ability early in 2019? If so, with a new first grade prop, we have two backup props in Lawrie and Latimore who could step up without us losing significant momentum.

Just remember, Graham will be a year older and probably play less minutes in 2019.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Also liked what I saw of Lawrie, thought that he stood up well against the Broncs and Rabbits and as already said by others will certainly become even better in the top grade .
A definite bench player for the Dragons this year . Persist with him for 2019 and if doesn’t get there , then go out and buy a quality prop come next November .

I’m unsure whether Lawrie has the physicality, size and presence in order to make it as a high grade prop.

He played exceptionally well in the last two games of the season though.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Of course SGI needs to procure another prop, but there’s an urgent need for a new fullback, an experienced left winger, hooker and utility bench player too.

possm

Coach
Of course SGI needs to procure another prop, but there’s an urgent need for a new fullback, an experienced left winger, hooker and utility bench player too.

Oh dear! Hooker would have to be our strongest position as far as good depth is concerned. McInnes, Robson and if all else fails, Hunt. I believe if Robson can replicate the tackle count of McInnes, he will be something very special in the NRL.

Utility, well we have Mann, Field, Robson and maybe even Aitken or Dufty.

Wingers, Millward signed two young wingers and of course there is Mann and Pereira as possible left wingers.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I agree with those who say Lawrie stood up in those last two games against the Broncos and Souths. That's exactly what we need and should expect from our fringe first graders!

The main reason I say we need an extra first grade prop is because we work our props very hard early in the season and really need to rest them from time to time to avoid fatigue/injury. What we do not want is for the replacement prop to be sub-standard and thus put even more pressure on our regular first grade props.

In my opinion Lawrie has the ability now however, the question is will he show this ability early in 2019? If so, with a new first grade prop, we have two backup props in Lawrie and Latimore who could step up without us losing significant momentum.

Just remember, Graham will be a year older and probably play less minutes in 2019.
We also need cover in case of injuries or suspensions to props. I believe we need at least 5 decent props on our roster, even 6.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
My thoughts exactly.

If Lawrie is too small, where does that leave James Graham who weighs less than Lawrie?- Shane Webcke was also on the small side but managed to make it at International level. Another way of thinking about middle forwards is that the bigger guys struggle to make more than one hit-up in a set of six when it might be necessary (eg a player is injured) but a lighter, faster guy like Lawrie can do it.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If Lawrie is too small, where does that leave James Graham who weighs less than Lawrie?- Shane Webcke was also on the small side but managed to make it at International level. Another way of thinking about middle forwards is that the bigger guys struggle to make more than one hit-up in a set of six when it might be necessary (eg a player is injured) but a lighter, faster guy like Lawrie can do it.
If Lawrie can reproduce the kind of form that he displayed in our last 2 games of the year, then he should have a long NRL career, but refer to Saint Jimmy's post.

I would prefer to have a big pack than a small pack. Our pack was too small a few years ago.

BLM01

First Grade
Its a
There is so much talk about recruiting a big fast first grade back - fullback, centre or winger - but not much chatter about the fatigue factor in our prop rotation over the past few years. If Mary is hell bent on flogging our props again in 2019, it is clear to me that we need one more first grade prop to carry the load.

First Grade
Vaughan
Graham
K Sims
New first grade prop

ISP
Lawrie
Kerr
Latimore
New young prop

I believe with this prop rotation we could avoid the problems of the past few years. Lawrie and Latimore are viable replacements in first grade while it's time for Kerr to step up in 2019.
It's a YES from me. However I think Lawrie will be fine, barring injury but need 1 more decent back up at least

Old Timer

Coach
Why do we need another 1st grade prop after all the wizards in recruitment just re-signed Kerr?
Remember he was the bloke we had to sign a few years back as he was a better option than anything we had on the books in lower grades or juniors.
Maybe our new wing signings might be just as fruitful!!!!
In all honesty how is it we re-sign a guy who has been here for a few years now and is yet to see a minute in 1st grade despite our constant 2nd round burnouts?

Carlton

Juniors
Why do we need another 1st grade prop after all the wizards in recruitment just re-signed Kerr?
Remember he was the bloke we had to sign a few years back as he was a better option than anything we had on the books in lower grades or juniors.
Maybe our new wing signings might be just as fruitful!!!!
In all honesty how is it we re-sign a guy who has been here for a few years now and is yet to see a minute in 1st grade despite our constant 2nd round burnouts?

I have no issue with Kerr's original signing but I am scratching my head why he has been extended. He does not look like he is ready for first grade and will be 23 by the time the season starts. I think you have to sign young players with speed, size and physicality and then ruthlessly turnover and replace the ones that are not showing they are first graders.

I like the gamble of signing the young wingers provided they are expected to prove themselves and are not kept if they are not showing the goods.

We need another top line hard nose prop for the rotation not another ISP player.

possm

Coach
I read that the Storm are trying to offload Kasiano

If Hasler gets the Manly coaching job, I think he would love to have Kasiano in his squad. However, I would like to see Kasiano picked up by SGI; he might very well be the type of prop we need on the bench with K Sims.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
If Lawrie can reproduce the kind of form that he displayed in our last 2 games of the year, then he should have a long NRL career, but refer to Saint Jimmy's post.

I would prefer to have a big pack than a small pack. Our pack was too small a few years ago.
It was a big pack that got souths a premiership 4 years ago

Latest posts