What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Boot 2019

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
http://www.rlif.com/article/8499/rl...-and-female-international-players-of-the-year

Good to see the announcement of a females Golden Boot award for the first time. Though I thought Fout-Moala (NZ) won it last year through RLIF (turns out she got player of the RLWC)?

I believe in the next two days they are announcing the short list for both men's and women's.

Will be interesting to see the short list for the men's. Thinking it will include:
James Tedesco (Aus)
Rodger Tuivasa-Sheck (NZ)
Damien Cook (Aus)
Valentine Holmes (Aus)
David Fusitu'a (Tonga)
James Roby (Eng)

Not sure on English players as I haven't seen much of the super league.

Hard to guarge how much represtitve performance for the year impact on nominations.

TheFrog

Coach
It includes the World Cup final, and there are two matches yet to be played, but they've announced the nominees already. No England or NZ players. Tedesco and Cordner FFS. It only considers internationals, do they actually realise this?

They are trying to make the Dally M's look well run, surely.

hutch

First Grade
It includes the World Cup final, and there are two matches yet to be played, but they've announced the nominees already. No England or NZ players. Tedesco and Cordner FFS. It only considers internationals, do they actually realise this?

They are trying to make the Dally M's look well run, surely.
There will be names added to the shortlist after (or during) the nz v England series.

Force

Juniors
If it includes last years World Cup then it wont be Tedesco, he was poor for Italy.

TheFrog

Coach
It includes the final only. Tedesco has played two games and only one of them was any good, when Tonga allowed him to run. It won't be him although the Aussie press will push his barrow. DWZ has done much more but it'll probably be one of the Poms.

roughyedspud

Coach
ElliottWhitehead is a shoe in for the award

How James Graham isn't on the list is beyond me....Elliot has had a cracking season at Canberra but so has jammer,ask anyone at St George and they say jammer was part of the reason they got to the finals...his passion carried that team without a doubt

Perth Red

Post Whore
If Makinson repeats last week next week he wins it for me. Otherwise DWZ, he’s been very impressive for kiwis.

flamin

Juniors
Who decided to change the criteria for the award?

It used to be for the best player in the world with extra weight given to internationals which was perfect.

Nominating the best player in the world based on 3 or 4 games devalues the award - especially when a player might be injured and miss the whole international season.

Last edited:

kiwileaguefan

Juniors

jim_57

Staff member
I think the Golden Boot just died or completely changed its public perception.

It used to be tacked on to the end of any list of accolades for great players and rightly so. Now that a Super League winger has won it on the back of 2 International games it's lost a bit of prestige in my mind.

roughyedspud

Coach
I always thought there was 2 awards?? The RLIF player of the year and the golden boot award which was award by a board of press,ex players & coaches etc??

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Looking at that list, it wouldve been a joke regardless who won it.

Nothing against those guys but best in the world??

Anyway well done to Tommy.

Latest posts