What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Trent Barrett Coach Again?

Will Trent Barrett be a head coach in the NRL again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Does anyone reckon that Barrett will get another head coaching gig or is he tarnished by everything that has happened under his watch at Manly, like the Jackson Hastings drama and the shit results?

I ask because only a few years ago he was the "next big thing" in coaching and its been reported that he resigned (quit) so that he could save his coaching career and "live to fight another day" so to speak.

I could see him making a comeback through coaching Origin or the super league, but thats about it

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If the merry-go-round does what it's said to do, one wonders if Maguire quits the NZ job and Barrett may then apply for it.

mozza91

Coach
Don’t know. He should give Scott Penn the PJ Marsh treatment. Christ that bloke is a smug prick.

LineBall

Juniors
I don't rate him as a coach, but Manly have a lot of off field issues which are beyond his control. I'm more confused as to why they think Des will be their savior.

firechild

First Grade
I don't rate him as a coach, but Manly have a lot of off field issues which are beyond his control. I'm more confused as to why they think Des will be their savior.
Did you see where Manly were before Des came in the first time? The problem isn't with the roster, they have plenty of talent. Des may not be delivering a premiership in a year or 2 but he won't have them finishing 15th.

On Barrett, I really hope so. At least second time around I'll be able to sit back and laugh as another club crumbles.

Saint Doc

Coach
Barrett has played this terribly.

He wanted to leave, but also wanted to force the club to pay him out. They have called his bluff.

If he had just quit, he probably would have picked up an assistant coaching gig at the worst, and reputation somewhat intact.

Now he keeps his salary but will be seen as a trouble maker. His reputation has taken a hit, especially if Des gets them flying again.

Tried to outsmart them and got played.

Canard

Immortal
"Surely Des Hasler will never coach in the NRL again" - Warren Smith on Fox Sports, mere weeks ago.

LineBall

Juniors
Did you see where Manly were before Des came in the first time? The problem isn't with the roster, they have plenty of talent. Des may not be delivering a premiership in a year or 2 but he won't have them finishing 15th.

On Barrett, I really hope so. At least second time around I'll be able to sit back and laugh as another club crumbles.

So if Manly don't make the 8 in the next two years - would you consider that a poor return for the squad you guys have? I think they have a decent team too.

Haffa

I’d like to see him coach Manly next year with Des. Perhaps they could hire Toovey as well and make it a three headed monster.

Timmah

Staff member
Barrett has played this terribly.

He wanted to leave, but also wanted to force the club to pay him out. They have called his bluff.

If he had just quit, he probably would have picked up an assistant coaching gig at the worst, and reputation somewhat intact.

Now he keeps his salary but will be seen as a trouble maker. His reputation has taken a hit, especially if Des gets them flying again.

Tried to outsmart them and got played.
Barrett might've played it terribly but Manly got lucky that Des was a free agent and wanted to coach again (and presumably is willing to be paid unders compared to what we had him on).

In that sense Barrett's a bit unlucky. Either way Manly will want to hope Des can lead them to a premiership or two because otherwise they're in a world of hurt.

Barrett might've played it terribly but Manly got lucky that Des was a free agent and wanted to coach again (and presumably is willing to be paid unders compared to what we had him on).

In that sense Barrett's a bit unlucky. Either way Manly will want to hope Des can lead them to a premiership or two because otherwise they're in a world of hurt.

Yeah, but even with the alleged coaching merry go round involving Wests, Penrith, Souths and Broncos, has Barrett even been considered in the mix? Cleary will wind up at Penrith, and it's likely Madge will come to Wests as Seibold and Bennett will swap places.

He never really had anywhere to go to begin with I don't believe, unless Madge tells the Tigers to get f**ked (which would be our luck,) and we wind up with yet another failure at the helm. That would likely be the only outcome for him, unless he's hedging his bets on a coach getting the axe early next year.

Timmah

Staff member
Yeah, but even with the alleged coaching merry go round involving Wests, Penrith, Souths and Broncos, has Barrett even been considered in the mix? Cleary will wind up at Penrith, and it's likely Madge will come to Wests as Seibold and Bennett will swap places.

He never really had anywhere to go to begin with I don't believe, unless Madge tells the Tigers to get f**ked (which would be our luck,) and we wind up with yet another failure at the helm. That would likely be the only outcome for him, unless he's hedging his bets on a coach getting the axe early next year.
As I said - the merry-go-round could leave the Kiwis job open if Maguire kicks it - that could leave it open for Barrett (if NZ want to go there obviously)

As I said - the merry-go-round could leave the Kiwis job open if Maguire kicks it - that could leave it open for Barrett (if NZ want to go there obviously)

And if he even wants the job. Would guess that he'd want another NRL role.

Whino

Bench
He will coach again. I never thought Elliott would get another gig after Penrith but the Warriors were gullible to believe his crap and gave him a shot.
There will be a stupid club that will give him a go.

Hawkins

Juniors
What do you mean again. He is still the coach until July 2019.

Those lottloland dickheads have two coaches at the moment cause they hired Des before dumping Trent.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Once Manly pay him out (as they should), he will probably be an assistant somewhere again for a year or two before another opportunity comes up (depending on how he goes with that club).

Latest posts