What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General NRL offseason news/rumours

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
thought I'd start something up so we can have somewhere to toss news and keep people up to date on the latest whispes. A few from the past couple of weeks

Nene McDonald confirmed as being released from the Dragons to go to the Cowboys

Newcastle rumoured to be chasing Kurt Mann and looking to convert him into a hooker, Brown mustn't rate Levi at all

The Ivan Cleary to Penrith for 2019 rumour won't die, the latest version has it happening with Wayne Bennett at the Tigers next season, watch this space on that one

Sounds all but confirmed that Manly are getting the old band back together and Des Hasler will be back running the ship, id expect that to be confirmed in the coming days, Dessie has already been sounding out some football staff for the role with Donny Singe set to return as trainer as well. The Barrett situation still unresolved and getting messy

The Taupau to Roosters rumour won't die, but the Manly CEO said last week that there is nothing to it and they won't be releasing him

JJ

Immortal
t
Sounds all but confirmed that Manly are getting the old band back together and Des Hasler will be back running the ship, id expect that to be confirmed in the coming days, Dessie has already been sounding out some football staff for the role with Donny Singe set to return as trainer as well. The Barrett situation still unresolved and getting messy

The Taupau to Roosters rumour won't die, but the Manly CEO said last week that there is nothing to it and they won't be releasing him

1. What's the feeling on having Des back?

2. Salary cap is a joke if the Roosters can pull that off

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
1. What's the feeling on having Des back?

2. Salary cap is a joke if the Roosters can pull that off

95% of the fan base stoked, when you consider alternatives such as Cartwright, Henry and Taylor. Main concern is that he might bring Foran with him

Lol yep, although they will tell you that they were 800k under this season .... part of it as well was that they were looking to move Napa on

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Very smart move from Manly if true (getting Des back).

Flips the narrative IMO, Manly were getting hammered in the media under Barrett. Des would put a stop to that I reckon, has a bit of aura about him and runs on the board

JJ

Immortal
95% of the fan base stoked, when you consider alternatives such as Cartwright, Henry and Taylor. Main concern is that he might bring Foran with him

Lol yep, although they will tell you that they were 800k under this season .... part of it as well was that they were looking to move Napa on
Yeah, you'd hope nobody is stupid enough to bet of Foran again for a while

I thought they might chase Toovey - guess it depends what they're after, I have no doubt that Des is an elite coach, but I think needs some of the decisions out of his hands

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Yeah, you'd hope nobody is stupid enough to bet of Foran again for a while

I thought they might chase Toovey - guess it depends what they're after, I have no doubt that Des is an elite coach, but I think needs some of the decisions out of his hands

There are bring back Tooves signs all over Manly apparently

I think the owners are clever enough to know that they need a Hasler or Toovey to bring fan support back on board, maybe with some restraints on Des in terms of making deals lol. Tooves, would be hard for them to swallow going back there so soon after sacking him I'd say, and someone had a discussion with the CEO last week and was told that there was a bit more that went on there than was known

Campion

Juniors
And nobody was surprised. Has had England written all over him for a few seasons. I loved the guy in juniors and when he first hit first grade but he’s not missed.

he will kill it in england and i imagine will be their top centre of the competition (because of the way league is played in england), but is an half-in-half-out for any NRL team. defences are too well-drilled and attacks too good that they can exploit his weaknesses. basically, NRL is just too smart compared to english super league.

Matua

Bench
He used to frustrate the hell out of me when at the Warriors, so hot and cold. Then Kata-Kearney Jnr arrived and I wished for the days of the Konnie.

Good luck to him in the UK.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Will be some nervous players turning up on Nov 5 no doubt lol. Looking like a real old school look about the place with Crusher Cleal returning as head of recruitment, and sounds like Donny Singe will be back as trainer with Matt Ballin in the mix asssiting him

Interesting situation still ongoing in the background, Barrett's contract was for 12 months notice which he gave in July, so he is still there as he is refusing to walk without a payout, and the owners are refusing to pay him out. Info from a source very close to the situation suggests that Barrett quit in July because Gould had offered him the Penrith job, and then Gus backflipped on him

Still a bit to go with the coaching circus too, reports suggesting the Tigers CEO flew to Auckland to chat with MaGuire before he left for the UK, with Ivan looking certain to be at Penrith next season, and there is still the issue of old Wayne bubbling away in the background in Brisbane

Rich102

Staff member
Yeah. If the NRL can't sort the contract situation out they may as well scrap it.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Latest rumour has Seibold leaving Souths as he wants the Brisbane job and Souths are pushing him to commit to them ASAP or they will punt him. Dave Furner set to backflip on Leeds to take the Souths gig

Latest posts