What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 NRL Draw

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah, it’s still not ideal for us. Broadmeadow is a hell of a lot more accessible than Bruce.

I take your point though. I think it’s a garbage time slot, and if the NRL wants two Friday games they either need to be Auckland at home for the early match, or a 9pm game in Perth after the main one at 7pm.

Thats the thing that I find frustrating. In some things the NRL wants to dictate and run the game, in others it just deals clubs sht hands and expects them to sort it out. The NRL could come up with a solution for the its own stupidity of agreeing to that time slot, and better reach its strategic goal of growing the games audience by taking control of the Friday night fixtures better and offering incentive's so its not such a dogsht spot.

4-5 games in Newcastle with ticket funding support to make it free for kids and NRL funds and runs some family stuff during the game
8 games in Auckland with Warriors getting NRL support for marketing etc
4 games in Perth (7pm WA KO/9PM AEST) with NRL negotiating this with Fox and WA Govt and underwriting games for 4 clubs to take home games there
6 other games in NZ - 2 games each in Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin/Hamilton with NRL underwriting and offering incentives for clubs to take games on the road there

If the 6pm slot was such a financial bonanza for the NRL then use some of that finance to make it better!

Knight76

Juniors
The NRhell should make the Friday 6pm games free to attend. They attract bugger all at most venues anyway, would be a great incentive to bring new fans to the games, and families also.

The NRHell could pay clubs a compensatory payment of some sort for lost gate takings.

Bringing in new fans, and getting families with kids (known as the future supporters) would be a smart idea and worth the investment from the NRhell.

Being free would be a great incentive to get to those games also, for a family of 4, to get to a game, pay for dinner at the game or even takeaway on the way there or back is a $200 outlay and a lot don't have that cash.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Say NRLHell once more, you don't sound bitter at all!

The NRhell should make the Friday 6pm games free to attend. They attract bugger all at most venues anyway, would be a great incentive to bring new fans to the games, and families also.

The NRHell could pay clubs a compensatory payment of some sort for lost gate takings.

Bringing in new fans, and getting families with kids (known as the future supporters) would be a smart idea and worth the investment from the NRhell.

Being free would be a great incentive to get to those games also, for a family of 4, to get to a game, pay for dinner at the game or even takeaway on the way there or back is a $200 outlay and a lot don't have that cash.

Loving this logic though!

- make it free for everyone, thereby reducing gate takings to zero
- force the NRL to compensate clubs for lost gate takings

And all this from one scheduled Friday 6pm game at the moment.

AJB1102

First Grade

Yeah but not for Newcastle, enough people still go even if its a shit time. No need to slash prices if 15k are still opening their wallets.

Theknightsrule7

Juniors
Thats the thing that I find frustrating. In some things the NRL wants to dictate and run the game, in others it just deals clubs sht hands and expects them to sort it out. The NRL could come up with a solution for the its own stupidity of agreeing to that time slot, and better reach its strategic goal of growing the games audience by taking control of the Friday night fixtures better and offering incentive's so its not such a dogsht spot.

4-5 games in Newcastle with ticket funding support to make it free for kids and NRL funds and runs some family stuff during the game
8 games in Auckland with Warriors getting NRL support for marketing etc
4 games in Perth (7pm WA KO/9PM AEST) with NRL negotiating this with Fox and WA Govt and underwriting games for 4 clubs to take home games there
6 other games in NZ - 2 games each in Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin/Hamilton with NRL underwriting and offering incentives for clubs to take games on the road there

If the 6pm slot was such a financial bonanza for the NRL then use some of that finance to make it better!

So your suggesting sydney teams don't get any Friday 6pm games? Any why should teams move home games to nz? Yeah thats not going to happen.

Angy K

Juniors
As a Tigers fan, and knowing that the Eels haven't signed a deal to play at WSS yet, is it likely that the Easter Monday match will still be played at WSS with the Tigers as the home team, or will it be more complicated than that? Of course I'm assuming that Todd Greenburg still wants to play that match there

Diesel

Referee
In Brisbane the Broncos can’t start a game before 7pm because of peak hour traffic issues in the city. I’m not sure if this is a local or state government ruling

Tigers1986

Juniors
PMSL at people whinging over what day of the week their team is playing on. Newcastle cop the 6pm timeslot because they were 3-peat wooden spooners and had the parochial fanbase who rocked up in good numbers. It's different to Sydney in that the locals could, theoretically, get to the ground easier.

Ideally, the Warriors could play the bulk of them but that takes away their chances for games on other days.

I'm hopeful that we get some good clashes at Campbelltown next season. Telecrap has it rumoured we open against Manly there. With the ANZ deal moved in favour of WSS (and reciprocal rights), I'd love to see the Bunnies come out and play us here. Don't think we've had them out my way in at least a decade. I'd also like the Raiders to come up again, their fans are good for banter and I don't mind the lime green.

Knight76

Juniors
Say NRLHell once more, you don't sound bitter at all!

Loving this logic though!

- make it free for everyone, thereby reducing gate takings to zero
- force the NRL to compensate clubs for lost gate takings

And all this from one scheduled Friday 6pm game at the moment.

My suggestions was more from a wider perspective than just Newcastle. talking more sydney clubs that struggle to get over 5k to a friday night 6pm game.

Even if not every Friday night 6pm round is free but only targeted rounds with historically very low crowd numbers.

My post wasn't a whinge at the Newcastle draw, if we are getting 4 friday 6pm games all year, and the rest Saturday and Sunday then I am happy with that.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
My suggestions was more from a wider perspective than just Newcastle. talking more sydney clubs that struggle to get over 5k to a friday night 6pm game.

Even if not every Friday night 6pm round is free but only targeted rounds with historically very low crowd numbers.

My post wasn't a whinge at the Newcastle draw, if we are getting 4 friday 6pm games all year, and the rest Saturday and Sunday then I am happy with that.
I'm fairly confident at least one of the reported 4 Friday games is a Ch 9 game and not a 6pm clash

Vic Mackey

Referee
PMSL at people whinging over what day of the week their team is playing on. Newcastle cop the 6pm timeslot because they were 3-peat wooden spooners and had the parochial fanbase who rocked up in good numbers. It's different to Sydney in that the locals could, theoretically, get to the ground easier.

Ideally, the Warriors could play the bulk of them but that takes away their chances for games on other days.

I'm hopeful that we get some good clashes at Campbelltown next season. Telecrap has it rumoured we open against Manly there. With the ANZ deal moved in favour of WSS (and reciprocal rights), I'd love to see the Bunnies come out and play us here. Don't think we've had them out my way in at least a decade. I'd also like the Raiders to come up again, their fans are good for banter and I don't mind the lime green.

I could be wrong but I don’t think Wests Tigers have ever played Souths at CSG?

GongPanther

Referee
Good idea, here's my draft, let me know what you think:

Deer Mr Greenberg,

I am writing this letter because as a tax payer and rugby league fan I am outraged that occasionally my team plays in a time slot that I don't like. 6pm on Friday night is redicolous. I want my team to play at 3pm every Sunday. The 25km commute is also far too long for me and me family, please provide a valet service to take me and me family to and from the game. I don't care that a 6pm game gives the nrl more income. I don't care that there are 15 other teams in the competition.

Also, food prices at the game are too high. By the time I buy 12 hotdogs, 4 bottles of fanta, 4 pies, 8 ice creams and a dagwood dog I've spent well over $100. Also I should be able to bring a carton of piss into the ground, but as a (insert irrelevant racial slur here) you only care about money.

In conclusion, the game was better in the 80s and 90s.

Fanks for your time,

Rugby league fan.

PS. Piss off the bunker so I can whinge about the refs mistakes more.
Should have asked for Cheap-On-Tuesdays.

GongPanther

Referee
That is shit.

Anyway
6pm kick off is tough for all fans of all teams.
It makes sitting at home watching it on the TV very easy.
Taking into account most people don’t finish work until 5pm.
TV wins
That is the only reason a 6 pm kick exists.
Not to mention that a ton of clubs and pubs do have their Friday raffles around that time.

innsaneink

Referee
As a Tigers fan, and knowing that the Eels haven't signed a deal to play at WSS yet, is it likely that the Easter Monday match will still be played at WSS with the Tigers as the home team, or will it be more complicated than that? Of course I'm assuming that Todd Greenburg still wants to play that match there
Theres no way in hell imo parra wont be playing at WSS next year...the back lash would be enormous, a PR nightmare.
Theyre just holding out trying to get a better deal.
It would be great though if as one report yesterday suggests - they dont come to an agreement and WTs hosted the first game there...that would be something :p

Slackboy72

Coach
Theres no way in hell imo parra wont be playing at WSS next year...the back lash would be enormous, a PR nightmare.
Theyre just holding out trying to get a better deal.
It would be great though if as one report yesterday suggests - they dont come to an agreement and WTs hosted the first game there...that would be something :p

f**k the WSS management. Parra have to look after themselves. Not getting screwed over should be a priority.

Latest posts