What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poll: Should Mary Coach the Dragons in 2019?

Poll: Should Mary Coach the Dragons in 2019?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

possm

Coach
Possm, if you are right about Dean Young, and I tend to think that you probably might be then that his absolutely ridiculous. Nathan Brown...no coaching experience...fail. Steve Price...no coaching experience...fail. Paul McGregor...no coaching experience...fail. I am not sure if that constitutes a pattern right there.

Dean Young may well turn out to be a tremendous coach and to that end if I was the CEO I would organise for him to have a posting at a Super League club. He needs to get experience and exposure to other systems outside of ours. Further, who has Dean Youngs' coaching mentors been? Paul McGregor, Steve Price, his dad?

If certain undertaking have been made by the outgoing CEO I trust they now become "null and void". I mean who would make a deal with a future coach who has never coached? What leverage would Dean Young possibly have to negotiate such a deal? Perhaps the threat is "you could lose me to the Dapto Canaries". Deals like these are negotiated with proven winners, not Dean Young. This is where good governance at a board level is paramount.

Again Possm, I hope you are wrong but I suspect you are right!

Although the WIN Board members represent some change in personnel, The St George Board members remain unchanged and it seems very secure in their tenure. Craig Yung is a prominent member of the St George side of the Board.

I mean how did Dean Young even get to be an assistant coach of SGI?

Last edited:

Warabrook saint

Juniors
The real scrutiny about McGregor should start now. Until the WIN buy-out and settlement of the debt to the NRL we simply did not have the money to invest in a credentialed 1st grade coach. Let's face facts; McGregor was appointed to the job in 2014 without an inch of experience as a 1st grade coach and he has pretty much proved to be incapable of ever scaling any heights in terms of coaching.

I thought it was revealing in the semi-final match against the Bronco's that he was seen to be giggling with astonishment in the coaches box as we racked up points. My take on this was that he was not expecting to win the game. That was astonishing and embarrassing!

Tactically he is inept. I hope I am wrong on this next point but watch for Euan Aitken to start at right centre next year and Lomax to be shifted to the wing. Interesting this point alone because (a) Lomax is the best centre prospect we have had since Gasnier and/or Cooper and (b) Aitken has had ample time to show us that he can defend and pass the ball (two reasonably critical skills for a footballer I would have thought). If he pulls this move it will show us what a dullard he really is.

I would also be interested in understanding how/why Demetriou left the club. I wonder how threatened McGregor was by him? He seems content to be surrounded by other equally inexperienced coaching staff in Young and Hornby thereby not having to be questioned.

So now we are debt free, cashed up, have a new CEO....now the real scrutiny should begin. McGregor has had 5 seasons and alas we now go into a 6th season with him as the head coach. In my 40 years of supporting the club this would just about make him our longest serving 1st grade coach. Just think about that fact for a minute. Paul "Mary" McGregor is our clubs longest serving 1st grade coach in 40 years. What does that tell you about the state of the club over these last few years?
It makes me feel sick

Pilot house

Juniors
that Gregstar lad, I’ve never liked the look of him either:eyes:

But I think it’s fair your mods ( if you have any) do the right thing and dump this thread in the current sack Mary one.

Pilot house

Juniors
He has been very, very patient with you Pilot. Lol

Probably. Ping@willow might like my fked up photos on the eels site.

I got told I endorse harming children last night by a poster here last night. Pfft!

I got so angry about it I almost locked my 2 kids in a cupboard sans iPhone and with a copy of Gould’s unofficial autobiography.

Last edited:
Probably. Ping@willow might like my fked up photos on the eels site.

I got told I endorse harming children last night by a poster last night.

I got so angry about it I almost locked my 2 kids in a cupboard with a copy of Gould’s unofficial autobiography as their only source of entertainment.
Cruel! Very cruel.

The Gould bit!

Rob Dragon

Juniors
I was speaking with my older brother a few weeks back and he works with an ex-NRL coach. This coach who does not want to be named, coached in Australia and the UK for over 12 years and his comments about Paul McGregor were interesting.

He told my brother that he knew McGregor quite well and liked him. He thought he was a world class player in his prime but he said he, and a number of other ex-coaches who still catch up from time to time are completely mystified as to how some-one with so few coaching credentials and success could possibly be given the coaching gig at such a historic club. This same ex-coach said that there was a well established route that coaches took to get to a 1st grade role and that usually included a decent spell as an assistant coach etc. McGregor has fulfilled none of these.

Interestingly he finished by saying that it was well known just how powerful the Craig Young and Illawarra faction were and that Dean Young is definitely being groomed as the next coach despite no qualifications or experience. He said that most credentialed 1st grade coaches are not interested in going to Saints because of this culture.

Latest posts