What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ENG v NZ @ KCOM Stadium // Saturday 27 October - Sunday 00h30 (AEDT) 02h30 (NZDT)

AJB1102

First Grade
I loved how the ref wasn't having any chats and just got on with it. NRL refs give captains way too much time and respect. Once the whistle is blown the decision is done. NRL refs get no respect because they demand none feeling obligated to explain themselves to players.

Too much emphasis on "working with the players" - f**k that they're pros if they dunno the rules f**k em. The ref is the boss and everyone else falls into line.

They got the whistle, they're in charge. You might not like me but you will respect me.

no name

Coach
Some pretty ordinary decisions and non-decisions from the officials marred what was a pretty entertaining game.

Hopefully the next couple of games aren’t as controversial.

no name

Coach
I loved how the ref wasn't having any chats and just got on with it. NRL refs give captains way too much time and respect. Once the whistle is blown the decision is done. NRL refs get no respect because they demand none feeling obligated to explain themselves to players.

Too much emphasis on "working with the players" - f**k that they're pros if they dunno the rules f**k em. The ref is the boss and everyone else falls into line.

They got the whistle, they're in charge. You might not like me but you will respect me.
Agree that the officials attitude towards player was good, just need to work on their decision making.

innsaneink

Referee
One of the most disgusting biased refereeing displays Ive seen in a long time...this pommy weed should be ashamed of himself

Iafeta

Referee
All of them were in on it.

Whitehead drops it. Oh now I’ll find a phantom penalty.
Soap dodger doesn’t ground it. Oh I’ll find a penalty try. That play happens 15 times a year. Blokes are speeding across in cover defence and then the bloke drops to the ground so you have to get down too. Then the fact is Johnson had already secured the ball off the ground by the time DWZ gets there.
Hodgson knocks on. Ref and touch judge 4m from play both miss it.
Bateman knocks on. Ref and touch judge 4m from play both miss it.

The penalty on Ah Mau was atrocious. Sam Tomkins and old mate Williams had been wrenching players legs after being tackled all game and never once got pinged.

Absolutely joke this game.

AJB1102

First Grade
Agree that the officials attitude towards player was good, just need to work on their decision making.

Oh the decision making was terrible. He waited 20+ minutes to assert authority then went the wrong way about it. Coulda pinged JWH 3 or 4 times in the first 16 minutes.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Game over; England won - well done.

Yes, some very strange calls.

A real disappointment was the crowd - they were so quiet and did not really get behind their team. The 2 x recent AUCKLAND crowds were far more vocal and supportive. England RL need to turn that around

English league crowds use to be one of the highlights of the game, singing etc....now they are very quiet.

I actually think it is due to the nature of the game these days, very predictable and all about process and getting to the end of sets. Only the last 20 mins garner interest....it's becoming like basketball. I find the NRL is the same.

thorson1987

Coach
Didn't watch the whole game, watched a bit before and during half time of the Liverpool v Cardiff game. A few lols I noticed.

- Ref blowing the whistle unnecessarily. Would blow a penalty, then blow the whistle again when giving the mark. Also has the annoyingly high pitched whistle.
- Thaler on the Rapana no-try. Called him an Australian player.
- when taps taken after a kick for touch, every time I saw one the player passing the ball in from the sideline was in front of the player taking the tap.

taste2taste

Juniors
Game over; England won - well done.

Yes, some very strange calls.

A real disappointment was the crowd - they were so quiet and did not really get behind their team. The 2 x recent AUCKLAND crowds were far more vocal and supportive. England RL need to turn that around

There was no atmosphere because the stadium was half empty. what's going on with that ?

Its an awful look for the game when internationals can't even sell out small stadiums. Meanwhile English Union play their snooze fest of a sport in front of 80k :/

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
thaler has always gotten a bad rap from the french fans. they absolutely hate him.

why they can't get an aussie in to ref i'll never know

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
You can’t attempt to stop someone scoring by attacking his head with your knees. He was lucky not to get a yellow card too
Penalty and a yellow card would have been fine, however
Oh the decision making was terrible. He waited 20+ minutes to assert authority then went the wrong way about it. Coulda pinged JWH 3 or 4 times in the first 16 minutes.
Agreed, he should have penalised JWH early and cautioned the English about their late grabbing of kickers and swinging arms that missed. Instead he didn't and both teams just carried on.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Didn’t watch the game and only saw the highlights but that crowd at hull was shocking and the atmosphere was very flat. Alarm bells must surely be ringing at the RFL. Especially with anfield coming up and the possibility of a 1/4 full stadium. The game in England is regressing at a alarming pace.

Matua

Bench
Whinge,whinge,whinge...lol

TBH I've not watched the full game yet,only seen the penalty try..
A professional organisation would at least halve the whinging - so it would Whinge, whi - with neutral refs, but league is run by a multitude of Mickey Mouse organisations so we get served up crap like last night and every 50/50 (yeah, I'll give that ref the credit for the odd 50/50) gets put under the spotlight.

I was looking forward to this tour, love watching the Kiwis play, and was looking forward to how they bounce back from the troubles of last year, yet my enthusiasm for this tour is slipping down to my enthusiasm for SoO (don't care, two Australian teams) because I can't see anything but a stacked deck.

Springs09

Juniors
Didn’t watch the game and only saw the highlights but that crowd at hull was shocking and the atmosphere was very flat. Alarm bells must surely be ringing at the RFL. Especially with anfield coming up and the possibility of a 1/4 full stadium. The game in England is regressing at a alarming pace.

What happened between 2015 and 2016 with English fans? Great crowds for the World Cup in 2013, last Baskerville Shield in 2015 had good crowds in Hull and Wigan and a great 47k in London. 2016 good crowd in Huddersfield but that's about it - terrible in Hull, Workington and Coventry (for a DH) and London is down 12k. Final was alright considering no England. Now this year Hull is only 2/3rds full?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
What happened between 2015 and 2016 with English fans? Great crowds for the World Cup in 2013, last Baskerville Shield in 2015 had good crowds in Hull and Wigan and a great 47k in London. 2016 good crowd in Huddersfield but that's about it - terrible in Hull, Workington and Coventry (for a DH) and London is down 12k. Final was alright considering no England. Now this year Hull is only 2/3rds full?
A lot of fans are becoming disheartened by the state of the game and more importantly the people who run it.

Poor choice of venues for the tests and little to no promotion hasn’t helped either. I actually watched the first couple of minutes and knocked it off because of the poor crowd and crap atmosphere. RL is in a rapid decline in the U.K. and the people who “run” the game are oblivious to it.