What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we need an experienced Hooker for 2019?

Panther Mick

Juniors
There has been a bit of chatter on here from some (Me included) that going forward next year we need to recruit an experienced hooker.
Katoa and Egan are inexperienced and both are prone to mistakes and indecision. No doubt both will improve over time. Learning off an experienced hooker for a year or 2 should do wonders for either them to grow their games and help the team overall.

I have my doubts to win the premiership next year or at least be a top 4 team that a Katoa/ Egan combo will do the job.

I would like to hear what others think.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Matt Parcel, you’re kidding aren’t you
He has less 1st grade games then Katoa , I’d rather stick with Katoa

Parcell has played 84 games if you include his current stint in the Super league. I am well aware games in the super league carry less weight but its still experience. His game has improved a lot since his last time in the NRL.
He played 21 games here before he left and had a dickhead in Barrett as his coach in his first full year of NRL.
He is a better player now and my opinion he is now a better chance to succeed in the NRL when the time comes for him to return.
I am not convinced on Katoa. I think in the long run Egan will be better than him. Neither fill me with confidence heading into next year.
I would take Api back if the chance came up but we probably couldn't afford him.

The club has put a lot of time and development in Katoa and Egan unless IC has other plans I don't see it changing for next year.
Both of them having a strong off season and both of them gunning for one position next year should hopefully help us.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I faith in the two boys we have. I think a solid preseason with Wal will make a big difference.

I was a massive Chicko fan, but he has turned into massive dickhead. I wouldn’t be over the moon about him returning, but I know he’s tight with Ivan.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
Just on Egan I remember after his first year people on here were going about how Moses Leota wasn't first grade material. Come his second season he started tearing up. It's hard to judge until we see how much better Katao/Egan have gotten in the pre season.

franklin2323

Immortal
We had the most inexperienced team as it was. Lost from that:

Wallace 240 games
Peachey 116 games
Browne 98
CHN 48

MWZ is a direct swap for Crichton. Grant brings 200 games..

So we need experience all over but hooker is a good start

Wookies&Cream

Juniors
We had the most inexperienced team as it was. Lost from that:

Wallace 240 games
Peachey 116 games
Browne 98
CHN 48

MWZ is a direct swap for Crichton. Grant brings 200 games..

So we need experience all over but hooker is a good start

Wallace was a good organiser, that's what Jimmy is for.
How can you justify paying big bucks for Peachey when we don't have a regular spot for him, yet that's the money he'll be demanding.
Browne was a plodder. Never hit the line hard, never looked hungry.
Chn had a great first season, this season, not so much.

franklin2323

Immortal
Wallace was a good organiser, that's what Jimmy is for.
How can you justify paying big bucks for Peachey when we don't have a regular spot for him, yet that's the money he'll be demanding.
Browne was a plodder. Never hit the line hard, never looked hungry.
Chn had a great first season, this season, not so much.

Wallace's defence was under rated no co-incidence our defence went to shit when he was gone.

Peachey was on way less for us. I don't think I would of re-signed him but an extra 12 months with us to see out his deal would of been handy. Same too CHN

snickers007

Juniors
With Ivan coming back, we may yet end up with Elijah Taylor wearing the 9 jersey for us.
Would certainly stiffen up our middle defence - but our attack would certainly take a massive hit.

martielang

Bench
Katoa & Egan on the bench (or vice versa) does the job for me. Both will continue to improve with a full off-season as well.

Not sure why we didn't run with that combination the last 6 weeks of the season.