What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What will Maguire do to the roster?

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I'm fine with Benji and Robbie being here next year. They are fantastic back-up options. I also think Chee-Kam is a first grader who can also have an impact. He isn't a plodder. He has his faults but he can do a job especially off the bench.

Lawrence to me unless he somehow loses form is definitely a keeper. Thompson is probably in that bucket as well. I'd love to see Aloiai and Fonua come on and get another contract but they may be on the scrapheap.

McQueen & Rochow are clearly reserve graders. Rochow is better than McQueen.

I'm not that worried about our backrow. Our edge second rowers in Lawrence, Matterson, Garner and Chee-Kam are fine.

The middle forward lock role that ET slots into is a concern but may be rectified if we get some weapons in the front row.

I really like ET but he can be completely ineffective when it comes to getting metres and that puts more pressure on an average front row. I think ET is the type of player who can be moved on because of his down side.

I reckon our roster is a lot better this year compared to last year. We have some quality players in the spine in Mbye and Brooks. Liddle and Reynolds may also come good. Benji and Robbie as back-ups are pretty good back-ups.

I mentioned our edge backrowers above. I think that this has been a weak point for us but I think it's improved.

Centres and props (or even replacing ET) are the areas where I think Madge has to focus on.

Still - I reckon he is a decent position. We have 2 spots remaining and we have plenty of players coming off contract. We will have to see how the team gels and if we have significant weaknesses during the year and hopefully Maguire can improve that.

I think ET will get moved. It breaks me to say that because he is very talented but just isn't big enough.

I was on the hill at Leichardt the night Luciano Leilua sealed the Dragons win with a fend on Chee-kam.]

Just left me convinced he is not big enough. Perhaps I'm being unfair?

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Every chance Madge may end up gettng a cut price Marty back here...no info but Marty's playing well for him and wants out at a cap stressed Manly
Madge also negotiated for the Manly job so you think he'd have full visibility/knowledge of their cap situation. It must be very dire for him to have knocked back that job?

Tapau should never have been allowed to leave. Disgraceful roster management by Jason Taylor. I remain convinced that he had it in for Islander players ever since Fa'alogo KO'd him.

General Stripes

Juniors
Doesn't matter who we sign, until we show real heart and grit out on the paddock we will never be in the hunt. This is where I see Madge having a big Impact.

Heart isnt the problem.

We are giant killers as shown this year.

Our problem is when we are the favourites and we dont know what to do.

Madge will change that. But it will take time

Tiger05

First Grade
I think ET will get moved. It breaks me to say that because he is very talented but just isn't big enough.

I was on the hill at Leichardt the night Luciano Leilua sealed the Dragons win with a fend on Chee-kam.]

Just left me convinced he is not big enough. Perhaps I'm being unfair?

I think Chee-Kam is definitely a first grader. He did get brushed in that tackle but he has busted the line plenty of times and runs the ball back with back and some footwork. You could even use him in the middle of the park especially against tired defences.

ET is the tough one. He gives everything and he has a lot of ability. Plus he makes big defensive plays. The lack of go forward in our pack though is an issue and he is the easiest guy to look at on that issue because he doesn't get quality metres.

Tiger05

First Grade
Looks like Penrith will pay most of McGuire's salary next year. My goodness, it heaps the pressure on Cleary. Pressure he would not have had if he stayed here as he seemed untouchable.

He is getting paid a motza. He isn't going to care one little bit.

yobbo84

First Grade
From a Rabbitohs fan point of view, your club just needs to ensure that the senior players buy into his work ethic and intensity. Like Bellamy has had with Smith, Slater and Cronk.

He is a very good coach who will get the best out of your squad. He walked into a basket case at Souths and walked out a premiership winner. We went from a very talented but lazy/sloppy team on the field to well-oiled machine.

The problems he had at Souths was that we won a comp and all the players thought they were king shit. The club should have backed Madge to the hilt and the senior players should have basically backed him and the line should have been to the other players - ship up or ship out.

Get the players to back him and you'll be Top 4 in no time.

Pilot house

Juniors
From a Rabbitohs fan point of view, your club just needs to ensure that the senior players buy into his work ethic and intensity. Like Bellamy has had with Smith, Slater and Cronk.

He is a very good coach who will get the best out of your squad. He walked into a basket case at Souths and walked out a premiership winner. We went from a very talented but lazy/sloppy team on the field to well-oiled machine.

The problems he had at Souths was that we won a comp and all the players thought they were king shit. The club should have backed Madge to the hilt and the senior players should have basically backed him and the line should have been to the other players - ship up or ship out.

Get the players to back him and you'll be Top 4 in no time.

Some truth but I don’t buy all of it.

Nice to see another Souths fan here in support.

stryker

First Grade
I guess a lot of people helped, but you have to have the overlord.

And the overlord was Madge.

No Madge no 21st grand final for south Sydney. Rusty doesn’t select the side etc.

I am not sure the best teams in the comps (on paper) always win the grand final. Takes a bit more. You can have the fastest car and still crash it!

But fair point.
Russell built that side trading on his fame and spending big. The only way to win the big dance these days is to buy it. Our second rate squad win their share but when the whips are cracking they have no higher gear.

stryker

First Grade
I think Chee-Kam is definitely a first grader. He did get brushed in that tackle but he has busted the line plenty of times and runs the ball back with back and some footwork. You could even use him in the middle of the park especially against tired defences.
Im not a big fan of chee kam. He is a lousy defender and as defence is built on attitude, he doesnt impress me.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I know there is zero chance of it happening but I hope Madge is getting real close and whispering in Manu's ear on the current Kiwi tour. Would be nice to get one back on the roosters after Tedesco

Vic Mackey

Referee
We've already got Momirovski though. Cop that Politis!

My mate who’s a huge Roosters fan reckons the club is more upset over losing Momirovski then Matterson. They wanted to keep him but know he needs to go elsewhere to start however they think he’s a gun. Robinson playing him in the Prelim Semi shows how highly they think of him. Really it was only injury last year which stopped him perhaps having the year Joseph Manu had.

stryker

First Grade
I actually thought Momirovski was a half step slower than everyone in the prelim. Not just physical speed but with his decision making and passing. Not comparable to Manu but someone who can be worked with.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
My mate who’s a huge Roosters fan reckons the club is more upset over losing Momirovski then Matterson. They wanted to keep him but know he needs to go elsewhere to start however they think he’s a gun. Robinson playing him in the Prelim Semi shows how highly they think of him. Really it was only injury last year which stopped him perhaps having the year Joseph Manu had.

That's positive news, even if it's hearsay, but listening to that Kelly Egan interview the other day he talked about Momo (can we call him that from now on?) as more of a backup option. Obviously hope he kicks on. Won't be hard to crack our starting 13.

Fordy20

Juniors
Egan is bound to say that about Momo. The Tigers are still in the market for more outside backs and if Kelly says Momo has the position stitched up, it would mean quality outside backs would be less willing to sign especially if they are not going to be in contention for a first grade spot.

gordsy

Juniors
Apart from Marsters who is ahead of Momo ? Read he can play 5/8. Wonder if we plan to play him in the centres and then move him into the halves. Hopefully not.

Latest posts