What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

post-Thurston era Cowboys

grouch

First Grade
They underperformed severely in 2018, so it's quite probably they can climb the ladder a bit in 2019 and make the finals. The backline looks better with some older slower players dumped and younger quicker ones brought in.

But can they win a comp next year or anytime soon? I doubt it

Thoughts?

typicalfan

Coach
Even without Thurston the roster is good enough. I think the team struggled with the pressure to send out Thurston as a winner plus the backline was slow

JJ

Immortal
Surely a team with the real JT, McLean and Morgan should go well?

Barba will make the after match enjoyable too

beave

Coach
The injuries of the 2018 NQ side is a fact that gets overlooked a bit. If they can keep a healty-ish team on the paddock for 2019 then there’s a good chance they can make the 8.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Gideon mosby learning how to tackle is managing some consecutive games is a bonus as well. Been awhile since we had just pure groundburning pace in the side

Pedge1971

First Grade
Lot of people pointing to the backline last year which is fair but it was the fwds particularly guys like Hess and Lowe who lost a lot of form and so the impact for 80 mins was nowhere near as great.

If some of those blokes bounce back their pack is as good as any and their spine is still class.

Also losta lot of games by 1 to 6 points so win half those the season looks much better.

Big Pete

Referee
I like the changes Green has made so far. Barba and MacDonald are quality signings that turn a position of weakness into one of strength. I also expect Baptiste to be a welcome inclusion to the Cowboys 17. Ever since Kostjasyn retired, they've had to make do and it's inhibited their ability to execute on set-plays.

The big question for mine is their forwards. When the Cowboys were at their best, it's because their forwards were great at getting the ball where it needed to go and allowing the halves to run through the set-plays at their own pace (ie dictate terms). Last season they were incredibly soft and it wasn't until the final 6 rounds they lived up to their reputation. The likes of Scott, Cooper and Bolton are another year older and the Cowboys cannot afford to let them use that as an excuse.

The second biggest question is the halves. They've got options there and it comes down to whether they want to give Clifford more time to fine-tune his game, or throw him into the deep end and play it from there. The latter at this moment sounds appealing because he is the best up and coming halfback in the game, but the Cowboys have a luxurious stop-gap in Martin/Morgan. I'm not expecting miracles from Clifford in 2019, but he's capable of playing like Ash Taylor did in 2016 and that would certainly be good enough.

jim_57

Staff member
I'm quietly confident of some decent seasons immediately following the departure of JT. If Morgan can consistently rediscover his late '17 form then it could be anything.

Refreshing to see a bit of a backline cleanout and some sheer pace like others have said. Halves I'm thinking:
6. Martin,
7. Morgan,
14. Clifford
for the start of the season at least. Never been a huge Barba fan but happy to be proven wrong, I was the same with Coote.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Full preseason, injury-free, and Jake Clifford is pushing for Origin selection by mid year.

Kid is a star, we'll be fine.

grouch

First Grade
The big question for mine is their forwards. When the Cowboys were at their best, it's because their forwards were great at getting the ball where it needed to go and allowing the halves to run through the set-plays at their own pace (ie dictate terms). Last season they were incredibly soft and it wasn't until the final 6 rounds they lived up to their reputation. The likes of Scott, Cooper and Bolton are another year older and the Cowboys cannot afford to let them use that as an excuse.
Agree with this, as well as the other comment about Hess and Lowe. Jordan McLean only playing 10 games didn't help either.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Hess disappeared a lot when the going was tough last year. Being behind at halftime with things just not happening it didn’t surprise me seeing his name with 3 hitups for 15m or something along those lines.

But then come the spoonbowl against the eels where they are up by 30 before halftime and rolling over the top of a constantly retreating defensive line and suddenly he couldn’t get enough of the ball.

Basically turned into dave Taylor since he got chucked an origin jersey except coen actually looks like an athlete

Latest posts