What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

WT2K

Juniors
With what pascoe said earlier in the week on the radio.. We have significant cap space left over. Also said that we will never back end deals.

More interested in who this mystery forward that is supposedly joining us for 2019.. No name has surfaced yet.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I basically agree with you. We need a couple of those guys to come on. I think our top line props being Twal, Packer and Matulino is an issue. Maybe Aloiai, Mikaele or Eisenhuth come on. I reckon we need a big prop to replace ET because he doesn't do enough work in attack or some of those players made significant gains. I hope we get another quality prop or lock prior to the season starting.
Eisenhuth is a park footballer & wont last long under Madge’s brutal regime.Im a massive fan of Madge’s & he’s a huge upgrade on the 1 dimensional coward but Madge’s main hurdle in ‘19 will b that he’s hamstrung by the brain dead recruiting of the pathetic gump who thankfully has returned to polish gus’s shoes.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I don't think we have the cap space to go really hard for huge signings.
Packer, Matalino, Mybe and Reynolds are all on good cash plus the other guys we signed.
Going hard for Walker, Kapow, Burgess thinking that we are one or two players off a premiership is crazy.
From memory , ever since the Nrl adopted the new finals system, every team that has won the como has come from the top 4 and we aren't top and Burgess and Kapow won't get us into the top 4 .
Hopefully Madge can fix up our junior systems which seem to have really dropped away in the past few years.
Totally agree.One of Madge’s many strengths is his assiduous application to optimising all areas of a footy team.Hence the recently under performing junior footy monster in the Campbelltown region will b given the attention it deserves & should reap dividends under Madge’s stewardship.Just b4 leaving Souths his parting gifts were unearthing Cam Murray Campbell Graham & he pinched Douehi from us not to mention the no.of Souths juniors he promoted prior to winning comp in ‘14.

WT2K

Juniors
With what pascoe said earlier in the week on the radio.. We have significant cap space left over. Also said that we will never back end deals.

More interested in who this mystery forward that is supposedly joining us for 2019.. No name has surfaced yet.
NRL level prop is all that's surfaced today.

Pilot house

Juniors
Totally agree.One of Madge’s many strengths is his assiduous application to optimising all areas of a footy team.Hence the recently under performing junior footy monster in the Campbelltown region will b given the attention it deserves & should reap dividends under Madge’s stewardship.Just b4 leaving Souths his parting gifts were unearthing Cam Murray Campbell Graham & he pinched Douehi from us not to mention the no.of Souths juniors he promoted prior to winning comp in ‘14.

That’s right.

You will have a year of transformation I think. Players will be tapped on the shoulders and others will appear from nowhere.

Plenty of as yet unrecognised panther and eels junior talent to pinch.

These days there’s always a few Marquees who fail for whatever reason and if you are having a red hot go and you have some coin, good players will show up.

Wade graham and others at the sharks were heavily influenced by gallon, proving that a popular player can also help the recruitment process along a bit.

You get the odd journeyman too who finds a new lease of life.

I think it’s a very exciting time for the club.

It’s good for Madge the funds are there, I’d say that was a major factor in his decision because he gets some room. I like that Matterson though.

TheFrog

Coach
Yes but....."had to terminate Anthony Griffin's position as head coach immediately because Ivan was going to talk to the Tigers"....remember that ?..that never made any sense to anybody at the time but it kinda would if they were given a no time to think ultimatum . ...or at least an ultimatum was inferred ...(." Nathan goes to the Tigers or i come back on these terms and you have till tomorrow ") and made a panicked decision....the Cleary's...formerly humiliated and sleighted Ivan and squeaky clean SOO half ..boy next door Nathan held ALL the cards in this mini series from day one...they knew it and Gus would have...i think he's been checkmated.....go back and listen to the various comments and statements from that perspective and it nearly all adds up. Gould is an intelligent and experienced media operator...the pure volume of gobbledigook from him from Griffin till now just didn't add up...but maybe it does.
* For amusement purposes only
Griffin was sacked because he and Gus didn't get along, to the point where assistant coach Ciraldo was the messenger boy between them and wanted out. It reached the point where 4 rounds out from the finals and running equal 4th Hook felt he was safe for the season at least and no longer had to humour Gus and so communication was closed. It had nothing to do with Ivan. While the discussion with O'Neill no doubt took place, the Cleary situation could easily have waited until the end of the season, which is ultimately what happened.

Pilot house

Juniors
I think we are all poking about looking for a preferred squad.

Just looking at Madge’s 2014 squad, we see 27 players and of these, only about half of them played 13 games or more.

So you see he likes a big-time rotation, the average was age was about 26. Not just injuries either....but every man has to show up squad-wide.

Nobody played every game.

Ages ranged from a youthful19 to a relatively elderly 36, both wingers too.

He made the tough decisions for sure, no favourites.

Merrit went to play at the Koori comp during the gf i was told. No show at gf.

Ben teo was one of favourite bunnies that year. Very big deal when he turned up courtesy....Madge!

Last edited:

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Apparentlty Klemmer's up for grabs as he feels he's under paid at the Doggies but the big draw back is his Manager!...............

Vic Mackey

Referee
Where is ET going? We'll take him back.

I love ET, but in a side like our that doesn't have powerful forwards or big backs to get us out of our end a smaller 13 hinders more then helps. In a side like the Panthers that have these things he would be great.

Pilot house

Juniors
Deluge of marquees hitting the market next year.

Tigers right to be composed now.

Lol Eastwood on $800k Klemmer on $450k pffft!

The dire consequences of Hasler’s short sighted short term concoction of the salary cap !

To be fair Ted, he may have landed them in salary cap shit, but he made the finals five of the six years he was there, including two grand finals. We haven't made the finals in seven years and we seemed to have plenty of salary cap dramas with backloading contracts. I know which I would prefer.

Latest posts