What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
So we had a stack of guys to re-sign for 2020.

Lost
Bryce (Not gone for cap reasons but his $500k was never used for outside players)
Merrin
Peachey
CHN
McKendry

All gone for this year. We should have money left for this year

I agree with both of you.
I have the same thoughts and hear the same arguments from Gould about our roster being too young and how this years premiers were going to be a side that had won a Grand final in the past 5 years who were well stock with experience.
Then he moves on the above players and now Merrin to balance the cap and keep younger promising talent. Which is fine because we need to keep these guys but there are occasions when the ledger needs to be balance with outsiders coming in.
At this stage (apart from Grant) no players that have been bought to address our experience shortfall from this years squad.
Gould keeps his cards close to chest and usually does the opposite of what he tweets. The other day he said for 2020 we will recruit from within.
By 2020 Maloney, Tamou and probably McKendry could be gone. Further depleting our experience.
I understand that some of the players we have now in 12 months time will gain more experience but heading into next year I feel we are short.

What concerns me as well, how can we be confident this process will stop?

What’s to say when the current guys get a little bit more experienced they won’t be shipped out the door too?

I think there’s a couple of things going on here.

Players are being signed to too long a contracts

And

The panthers have too much focus on retaining juniors. This flows over into some fans too. I’ve seen people more upset about losing some hyped youngster than losing good quality experience.

We are definitely pushing Merrin out for cap reasons. I think we are probably overpaying a few of our home grown players.

A prop rotation of RCG, Tamou, Leota and Grant is weak as f**k.

I fear this period is going to be a huge opportunity missed. The roster doesn’t have the right balance, our hope is really the possible weakness of the comp.

Pilot house

Juniors
The Wallace fg against Brisbane was a cracker, just before the club refused to upgrade him so he left.

Can’t keep them all, every other club looks at the catchment, green with envy and a full wallet.

Need more private sponsers.

franklin2323

Immortal
I fear this period is going to be a huge opportunity missed. The roster doesn’t have the right balance, our hope is really the possible weakness of the comp.

Waqa Blake is going to be wasted at this rate.

I have Cogger and Croft playing halfback for their clubs..Cleary is still younger then both. 25 games fullback..no hooker of note. It is just madness

Pomoz

Bench
So the view is that a player on minimum wage will feel honoured to be given a chance. He won't feel at all resentful at being paid the bare minimum as required by the rules. He won't at all be tempted by offers from other clubs.

I think we are overlooking the fact that you don't even get an offer unless the club thinks you are potential first grade material. At the Panthers even more so, because the standard of our juniors has been really high for the last five years (thanks Hook for doing that for us :p). So if that is true, offering the minimum says a lot about what you think of them. I think if we believe they are only worth minimum wage we shouldn't even offer them a contract.

MrBlack

Juniors
Just putting this one out there.

Does anyone think we are a chance of signing Damien Cook???

Think about it.

He wants $800k per year.

We potentially have Merrin moving on who is not far off $800k and Cook has played for us before.

He may be disgruntled with the coaching situation going on at Souths and has clearly baulked at the opportunity to re-sign.

Also - we are in need of a good hooker.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

Think about it.

He wants $800k per year.

We potentially have Merrin moving on who is not far off $800k and Cook has played for us before.

He may be disgruntled with the coaching situation going on at Souths and has clearly baulked at the opportunity to re-sign.

No

franklin2323

Immortal

Think about it.

He wants $800k per year.

Who better to fix the hooker issues then the best hooker in the game? let one of Katoa/Egan go. Get a prop with that money very strong squad in such a case. Having a link with a few guys from Origin would help too

OldPanther

Coach

Think about it.

He wants $800k per year.

Release Merrin and Katoa and sign Cook ASAP would be absolutely brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.