What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Fittler calls for Manly to merge with North Sydney Bears to make 'behemoth' club.

Pilot house

Juniors
Easts taking over manly and norths.

Norths without an NRL team run a bigger and more succesful junior comp then Easts.

Norths juniors is probably as strong as manlys with twice the competition from private schools and RU.

Easts are never going to do anything to help rugby league so having them involved in a junior competition is just insane.

Not true, Nick Politis has sold a lot of good cars to league followers.

Coleworld

Juniors
It's just sad that the owner of the Roosters doesn't realise they are a drain on the NRL and don't pull crowds.
Someone mentioned that any final series involving West Tigers, Bulldogs, Parramatta, Souths and St. Illawarra would get tons of support and there is Sydney's answer with the overcrowded market as I doubt 40000 would march if Eastern Suburbs were moved or kicked out but also the NRL needs a presence in North Sydney and Manly.

Are the Sydney Roosters the big problem here? a club who have multiple assets and are run professionally and successfully? I think the NRL needs to look at how this club has been able to build their assets portfolio, they're very financially stable and we need more of that within our competition and even at an NRL Level. The NRL administration went and got a bank loan 2 years ago.

Going back to the original OT, I don't want to see any team fall over but Manly are definitely below NRL standards and this is just based on media reports that I have read but establishing a new franchise like Great Dane suggested is the best model moving forward.

Twenty years time the North Shore area would develop their new generation of fans, you see it with West Tigers fans who don't remember Andrew Leeds playing FB for the Western Suburbs Magpies.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Are the Sydney Roosters the big problem here? a club who have multiple assets and are run professionally and successfully? I think the NRL needs to look at how this club has been able to build their assets portfolio, they're very financially stable and we need more of that within our competition and even at an NRL Level. The NRL administration went and got a bank loan 2 years ago.

Going back to the original OT, I don't want to see any team fall over but Manly are definitely below NRL standards and this is just based on media reports that I have read but establishing a new franchise like Great Dane suggested is the best model moving forward.

Twenty years time the North Shore area would develop their new generation of fans, you see it with West Tigers fans who don't remember Andrew Leeds playing FB for the Western Suburbs Magpies.

Well if the rumours and reports are anything to go by, people want Uncle Nick to leave the Roosters and help run the NRL into a more profitable and high profile game. Nick knows his time at the Roosters (in a physical sense) is coming to an end. He’ll still be involved with the club in the background though. I’d be interested in see what he could do with the NRL if he was the top dog.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Well if the rumours and reports are anything to go by, people want Uncle Nick to leave the Roosters and help run the NRL into a more profitable and high profile game. Nick knows his time at the Roosters (in a physical sense) is coming to an end. He’ll still be involved with the club in the background though. I’d be interested in see what he could do with the NRL if he was the top dog.

I'm sorry but f**k that is a bad idea!

The last thing the game needs is somebody like Politis running the game, we have enough problems with Sydney-centrism and cronyism already without putting one of the literal figureheads of those problems in charge of the whole game.

Add to the above that frankly I've got no doubt that he would be totally incapable of being unbiased when it came to the Roosters (and probably his mates clubs as well) and would definitely perpetuate the culture of haves and have-nots that is increasingly completely f**king the whole competition and it's just a really bad idea..

Also nothing that he has done has been that revolutionary or impressive, he's built a property portfolio to support the club cause it can't support it's self and remain competitive and it can't be reliant on the pokies anymore cause of the ever increasing nanny state nature of Australian society... So what!
The Raiders, Broncos, Cowboys, etc started building theirs long before he had the idea so it's not like a revolutionary idea that he came up with, and he has presided over a club that has been particularly successful over the past 20 or so years, but from where he is sitting that isn't that much of an achievement considering the intrinsic advantages that he and his club have over more than half the competition over that time period because of circumstance, poor management from the NRL and unbalanced rules, particularly when it comes to third parties(it could be argued that a lot of that "poor management" and those "unbalanced rules" were 100% intended and that the NRL's goal hasn't been a fair or balanced competition for a long time now, but that's for another time), and frankly despite those intrinsic advantages the club is still considered to have been as dodgy as they come to achieve what they have achieved, especially when it comes to the cap (but again a discussion for another time)...

It'd be the Arko era all over again, great if you are in the in group, terrible if you're not, and chronically incapable of adapting to societal and technological advances, except unlike the Arko era it almost certainly wouldn't be expansionist and at least somewhat forward looking, and would be totally parochial for the sake of "tradition" (i.e. what's in the best interests of Politis, the Roosters, and Politis's mates and their clubs and not what is best for the sport as a whole in the country).

Teddyboy

First Grade
Aren’t the roosters considered the glamour team of Sydney in terms of having a very rich owner, attracting big sponsorship deal and all the media attention??
Yet not attracting the crowds...maybe gif they played out of a 20000 seater then things might be different.

TheFrog

Coach
If Brookie is not up to NRL standard, why does the NRL allow them to play there?
Because they need 16 teams to fulfil their contractual commitments. What's going to have to happen is Manly hits the wall financially (which seems likely sooner rather than later), the Penns put the franchise up for sale, the NRL buy it and move it wherever then sell it. Leaves a big hole on the peninsula though.

Would the Roosters take games to Brookie in its dilapidated state? Would the peninsula support the Roosters? Would the Central Coast support them? The Roosters are about as unloved as an NRL club can get, especially if Manly are out of the picture. Need a bridge like the one they opened in China the other day, joining Palm Beach to Woy Woy.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because they need 16 teams to fulfil their contractual commitments. What's going to have to happen is Manly hits the wall financially (which seems likely sooner rather than later), the Penns put the franchise up for sale, the NRL buy it and move it wherever then sell it. Leaves a big hole on the peninsula though.

Would the Roosters take games to Brookie in its dilapidated state? Would the peninsula support the Roosters? Would the Central Coast support them? The Roosters are about as unloved as an NRL club can get, especially if Manly are out of the picture. Need a bridge like the one they opened in China the other day, joining Palm Beach to Woy Woy.

I’d love to know what the process is for a financially stricken club to access the sinking fund. Do the other 15 clubs have to agree? Given they get a share of the sinking fund back if no one accesses it over the next few years makes you wonder how quick they will be to agree to it being accessed? The nrl has never confirmed how much the sinking fund ended up being. They wanted a $10million pot but was never confirmed if this was the end agreement.

Last edited:
Illawarra & Saints works. I followed saints, I don’t even think about it anymore.
That works for a couple of reasons. Illawarra was always a big catchment area for Saints. Illawarra came into the league for 18 seasons only. So that history was not there. A lot of Steelers fans associated with Saints anyway. It works well because St George looks after the gong area as well. In fact at the expense of there own area.

Latest posts