What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best PNG player all time?

T-Boon

Coach
First reply to your thread 6 hours ago.

Okay, acknowledged. I remember thinking you either made that name up, or it was the name of that guy from the band KISS (Gene Simmons?). Essentially I thought I was the butt of a joke.

AJB1102

First Grade
Okay, acknowledged. I remember thinking you either made that name up, or it was the name of that guy from the band KISS (Gene Simmons?). Essentially I thought I was the butt of a joke.

That is a very honest reply, Mr. Boon.

deluded pom?

Coach
I highly recommend Stanley Gene’s (pronounced Gennay with a hard G) biography ‘Daydream Believer’. A hilarious read about a huge culture shock when he moves from PNG to Hull. Cue the Hull being a step back in time jokes :D

Last edited:

mikail-eagle

Bench
A few names of PNG Players I grew up watching and would be in my PNG Hall of Fame.

From the 80''s
1. Lauta Atoi - Centre
2. Daeri Kovae-Centre/Fullback
3. Arebo Taumaku- Lock

From 90''s
1. Akuila Emil - Halfback
2. Tuksy Karu - Standoff
3. Tuiyo Evei- Prop
4. Philip Boge - Fullback
5. Adrian Lam - Half
6. Stanley Gene - Hooker
7. Marcus Bai- wing
8. John Okul - Centre

Malolo Warrior

Juniors
A few names of PNG Players I grew up watching and would be in my PNG Hall of Fame.

From the 80''s
1. Lauta Atoi - Centre
3. Arebo Taumaku- Lock

From 90''s
2. Tuksy Karu - Standoff
3. Tuiyo Evei- Prop
5. Adrian Lam - Half
6. Stanley Gene - Hooker
7. Marcus Bai- wing
8. John Okul - Centre

Fair assessment with the inclussion of Tommy O'Reilly (Gold Coast Chargers), David Westley (Parramatta), Bruce Mamando (Sydney Roosters) and John Wilshere ( Salford and St George Dragons) but they're borderline 2000's.

deluded pom?

Coach
Whatever happened to Philip Boge? I remember being in Australia in 1992 and he had a great game against the Kangaroos.

deluded pom?

Coach

From the 80''s
1. Lauta Atoi - Centre
3. Arebo Taumaku- Lock

From 90''s
2. Tuksy Karu - Standoff
3. Tuiyo Evei- Prop
5. Adrian Lam - Half
6. Stanley Gene - Hooker
7. Marcus Bai- wing
8. John Okul - Centre

John Okul still lives in the Hull area as does Stanley Gene. I remember Hull KR signing Okul and Gene after the 1995 WC whilst Hull FC signed Marcus Bai. Phil Sigsworth was the Hull coach at the time and he decided Marcus wasn’t good enough and let him go. The rest is history.

Malolo Warrior

Juniors
My best PNG player would be between Marcus Bai, Stanley Gene and Adrian Lam.

Lammy probably get it it because of his achievements in the NRL and Super League. He would edge Marcus Bai in my opinion.

deal.with.it

Juniors
John Okul still lives in the Hull area as does Stanley Gene. I remember Hull KR signing Okul and Gene after the 1995 WC whilst Hull FC signed Marcus Bai. Phil Sigsworth was the Hull coach at the time and he decided Marcus wasn’t good enough and let him go. The rest is history.
Whatsapacketa

mikail-eagle

Bench

Stanley Gene actually got signed to keep John Okul company.

From memory Okul broke down with a bad injury and never kicked on.

Latest posts