What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ireland v France

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Just depressing watching the standard of coverage of these games. I mean, fantastic that it is televised at all, but it is so amateur hour that it gives you no envy what so ever to continue watching. So why bother?

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Just depressing watching the standard of coverage of these games. I mean, fantastic that it is televised at all, but it is so amateur hour that it gives you no envy what so ever to continue watching. So why bother?
As of last year I wouldn’t be able to watch this game in Australia last year, so it’s massive progress, it just needs to continue! Where do you think union started ?, you can’t skip important steps in development, so stay positive.

Coastbloke

Bench
At the end of the day it comes down to money and marketing. Do the RLIF and RLEF ever meet and discuss tactics?

They need to get together and nut out a set of goals to create awareness and increase sponsorship and crowds. Somehow they need to raise funding to hire (even if it is pert time) a Marketing Manager that has the contacts in Government and business to make these tournaments work.

I agree with previous comments that these matches should be able to attract crowds between 5000-10,000. Let's face it, we have the product. Even to a neutral the game looks superior to the other code. The game just needs some marketing oomph. The RLIF and RLEF need to increase co-operation and step up..

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It is massive progress for the game that we are getting these matches televised and that the nations involved get to play tests in their home country.

I must ask though, what changed from a few seasons back when France were drawing 11k v Wales for euro cup matches and the tournament had Alitalia as a sponsor?

Burns

First Grade
I’ll admit, I absolute live and breath international rugby league, but I have very low desire to watch these games.

Having them played out of second tier stadiums, with half strength squads in front of a few people just does nothing for me.

I would wager one of the reasons that that year’s Championship has seen so small time is that it hasn’t been played in a while? If it were an annual event, outside of World Cup years - at least there would be some familiarity.

Pommy

Coach
I’ll admit, I absolute live and breath international rugby league, but I have very low desire to watch these games.

Having them played out of second tier stadiums, with half strength squads in front of a few people just does nothing for me.

I would wager one of the reasons that that year’s Championship has seen so small time is that it hasn’t been played in a while? If it were an annual event, outside of World Cup years - at least there would be some familiarity.

That really should be the aim I would love it if the winner got to play England in the mid season origin break the following year.
International league has been allowed to stagnate but hopefully they can build it from where we are now.

thorson1987

Coach
I’ll also point out that we had a Spanish referee which is progress. But when does league play into extra added on mins haha I think they lost track of time

I don't think it is added time, more just that whoever runs the stream doesn't stop the clock display when the actual game clock stops.

Burns

First Grade
That really should be the aim I would love it if the winner got to play England in the mid season origin break the following year.
International league has been allowed to stagnate but hopefully they can build it from where we are now.
Completely agree. I mean, the Northern Hemisphere teams need to do something. Come the 2021 World Cup, unless there is an influx of heritage players, I couldn’t see any team other than England beating a Southern Hemisphere team.

Pommy

Coach
Completely agree. I mean, the Northern Hemisphere teams need to do something. Come the 2021 World Cup, unless there is an influx of heritage players, I couldn’t see any team other than England beating a Southern Hemisphere team.

Chances are there will be heritage players at the word cup and if the pacific teams weren’t stacked with heitage players they would be in the same position as all the home nations bar England and would be getting beaten pretty comprehensively by France.

deal.with.it

Juniors
I enjoyed the match. Thought the standard was higher than some SL/NRL matches. The wind made it very difficult but the ball movement was good. Escare played like a little grub, never knew he played that way. Was better quality than the All Blacks v Wallabies last week. No one cared. Played it in Japan 3/4 full stadium. Sponsored by canon.

RL fans need to get over the small things and help grow what we’ve got.
Agree that the RLIF should really be contracting professionals to deliver these events. They clearly don’t have the time or contacts to deliver.

Whatwhere

Juniors
I enjoyed the match. Thought the standard was higher than some SL/NRL matches. The wind made it very difficult but the ball movement was good. Escare played like a little grub, never knew he played that way. Was better quality than the All Blacks v Wallabies last week. No one cared. Played it in Japan 3/4 full stadium. Sponsored by canon.

RL fans need to get over the small things and help grow what we’ve got.
Agree that the RLIF should really be contracting professionals to deliver these events. They clearly don’t have the time or contacts to deliver.