What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ireland v France

Whatwhere

Juniors
3/4 full stadium (which holds a little over 72k. That'd translate to 54k.) between two teams not from the nation in which it was hosted. Opposed to maybe 150 in Tallaght. Sure buddy.

Storm13

Juniors
I’ll admit, I absolute live and breath international rugby league, but I have very low desire to watch these games.

Having them played out of second tier stadiums, with half strength squads in front of a few people just does nothing for me.

I would wager one of the reasons that that year’s Championship has seen so small time is that it hasn’t been played in a while? If it were an annual event, outside of World Cup years - at least there would be some familiarity.
These four nations have been playing in these Euro Cup competitions for a long time now. It's how Wales and Scotland both qualified for the 4nations.

The problem for me is they share the home and away fixtures each time instead of a nation holding the entire tournament. France could put on a small but good tournament with Tv exposure with 10k + crowds, something that could be built on.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
These four nations have been playing in these Euro Cup competitions for a long time now. It's how Wales and Scotland both qualified for the 4nations.

The problem for me is they share the home and away fixtures each time instead of a nation holding the entire tournament. France could put on a small but good tournament with Tv exposure with 10k + crowds, something that could be built on.

No one would turn up to non-France games.

The "problem" is there is little to no rugby league culture apart from in France, and if you want to attract neutrals, you need to make an event out of it rather than just another run of the mill rugby league game with little to no significance.

Storm13

Juniors

The "problem" is there is little to no rugby league culture apart from in France, and if you want to attract neutrals, you need to make an event out of it rather than just another run of the mill rugby league game with little to no significance.
Double header matches.

France should be playing mid year test versus England then playing PNG in a three match series at the end of the year. Rotate home and away.

If I was in charge of the FFR I would be ditching the northern hemisphere teams. Be looking at the outcast Pacific teams.

Storm13

Juniors
they had png tour a while back, but it is just too hard to recoup costs.
One thing I think we can all agree on is if the RLIF could actual do its job and set up a four year calendar cycle where nations can actualy plan to host or travel for tours, then surely a team like France would be able to put together a plan with its tv networks to get a southern team over to play.

With Australia's seemingly reluctance to play England, I'm starting to fear for the future of the game in Europe.

Storm13

Juniors
More support staff at the Ireland match than paying customers. How long do you persist when it seems progress is going backwards?

Pommy

Coach
One thing I think we can all agree on is if the RLIF could actual do its job and set up a four year calendar cycle where nations can actualy plan to host or travel for tours, then surely a team like France would be able to put together a plan with its tv networks to get a southern team over to play.

With Australia's seemingly reluctance to play England, I'm starting to fear for the future of the game in Europe.

Why would pacific teams want to play France over other pacific nations?
Did you watch the game against England? It was one of the most gutless performances of rugby league I have ever seen.

More support staff at the Ireland match than paying customers. How long do you persist when it seems progress is going backwards?

What’s the alternative Ireland never get home games? Just don’t bother at all?

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
You need to play actual local Irish boys, you need to connect with the public with the message before the game starts. Why the hell would the Irish support a team full of English born players ?.

I keep saying people have short memories, how do you guys think union started ?, you need to build from the ground up, I think Europe is finally understanding they might have to suffer short term, it’s not about quick results with no grass roots. There hasn’t been any vision in Europe for a long time, I think the last World Cup highlighted major issues.

RedVee

First Grade
In the telecast they said that win qualifies France for the 2021 RLWC.
This seems an awful long way out to be already qualified.

Whst happens in 2019? 2020?

Pommy

Coach
In the telecast they said that win qualifies France for the 2021 RLWC.
This seems an awful long way out to be already qualified.

Whst happens in 2019? 2020?

Well the two team that don’t qualify go in to the next round. Qualification doesn’t end here it just ends for those clubs.

siv

First Grade
It is massive progress for the game that we are getting these matches televised and that the nations involved get to play tests in their home country.

I must ask though, what changed from a few seasons back when France were drawing 11k v Wales for euro cup matches and the tournament had Alitalia as a sponsor?

They were being played in France

siv

First Grade

You start by giving away 5000 free tickers to the local schools and local teams. Invite all junior clubs in jersey to form a display at the ground. Not just one club. Allow a parents to get free entry. Give away a free footy or mini flag for the first 1000

latingringo101

Juniors
So France are now officially in RLWC 2021. Seems to be year of the French (U/18s Euro Champions, Challenge Cup winners and now this).

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I would be focusing more on improving exposure in places like Serbia, Ukraine, Czech Rep and Spain, just forgetting Ireland and Scotland. The union culture there is far too overbearing, you'll have much better bang for buck in the east, and more growth potential.

Latest posts